1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

DIY Router with pfsense and fibrex

Discussion in 'Other LAN and WAN' started by OGroteKoning, May 16, 2018.

1. OGroteKoning

OGroteKoning Regular Contributor

So, because I was advised by Merlin and others on here to get a more powerful router … I got myself one of those HP 8200 SFF elite PCs and thought - build a router!

It is way overkill but, for a reason. What I want to do is have a router that can manage multiple VPN connections without losing too much throughput and it has to be able to manage the workload. (see here ). I have an Asus RT-n66u with Merlin software - this little beast is quite capable, but unfortunately can not manage the workload. So... go for overkill!! I reckon, the i5 processor with 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD will manage quite well.

My main goal apart from normal routing/security/etc is still:
    (a) Run multiple VPN connections (to do away with VPN on all devices)
    (b) Force certain connections (websites) through specific VPN connections from any device (to do away with switching VPNs)

I have Vodafone fibrex (200 dl and 20 ul) – in New Zealand.

I have been tinkering away on pfsense but can not get an internet connection. I spoke with customer care at Vodafone and they pointed me to their Network settings for your broadband modem. Here are the settings:
    Enable connection: Check
    VDSL Name: Internet_VDSL
    FibreX Name: Internet_Ethernet
    Service type: INTERNET, TR069, VOICE
    Connection Type: IP routing (IP)
    MTU: 1500
    MSS: 0
    NAT: NAPT
    VLAN: Check
    VLAN ID: 10
    802.1p: 0
    IP protocol version: IPv4 + IPv6
    IPv4 address type: DHCP
    Static DNS: Uncheck
    IPv6 addressing type: DHCP

And this is where I realised how far out of my depth I am. It's greek ... latinish greek! I can not find all the settings in pfsense to set the connection up. And all attempts I made was in vain.

TL:DR
    I need to set up my DIY router for Vodafone fibrex
    1. Which is the preferred routing software pfsense/OPNsense/Sophos (I have downloaded all three and is currently trying pfsense 2.4.3)
    2. Is there an idiot's guide for me to get the connection running (WAN and LAN shows it is up-linked, but no IP for WAN)
    3. How do I set it up to have my network running on 192.168.2.x

I did use search, but could not find my solution. If this thread is a duplication - apologies. Please move it to the right thread.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

4. OGroteKoning

I asked there too ... someone there told me it is not really a pfsense issue and that I should ask locally. I did respond - will see how that goes. I asked locally too on geekzone, but their forums are quiet ... unless you want to talk about movies and safe disposal of Li-ion batteries.

So, I turned to this forum which in theory should be able to assist.

Having said that, do you know anything about the topic?

5. Xentrk

Xentrk Very Senior Member

I have a GPON fiberhome modem/router. I had my ISP place it in Bridge Mode. This is a setting I used to be able to do myself. But a year ago, they remote into the fiberhome modem/router and make the change that way. I think this is what your issue is. Your modem should not be placed in routing mode as your pfSense box will do the routing. I also recommend turning off DHCP. If you need to connect to it, manually assign an IP address on your ethernet network adapter via the control panel if using Windows. For example, if the modem IP is 192.168.1.1, assign your laptop an IP address of 192.168.1.10. For Gateway, use the IP address of the modem, 192.168.1.1. The modem should just be a pass-thru. The MTU and DNS settings should be configured on the pfSense box, not the modem.

I then run an Ethernet cable from one of the fiberhome's LAN port's to the WAN port of my pfSense box, which is a PC with an Intel i5 with AES-NI enabled. Like you, I wanted better OpenVPN performance than the Asus Router was able to provide. Here is a snip of my WAN settings.

upload_2018-5-17_20-9-40.png

Below this are the fields to enter the username and password assigned by my ISP.

Here are some guides.
    https://www.techhelpguides.com/2017/06/12/ultimate-pfsense-openvpn-guide/
    https://nguvu.org/pfsense/pfsense-baseline-setup/

Your VPN provider may also have a guide for pfSense. Mine does, but it is dated. Putting my own guide together is on my to-do list. I really like the Unbound feature and the pfBlockerNG package. The combination of these packages allow me to prevent DNS from leaking, block ads and malware, and make my selective routing real easy.

Were you able to have your Asus router connect to the WAN when it was connected to your modem?

You may want to ask a moderator to move this thread to the Routers forum. Probably a better place for it and you may get more help there.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  6. OGroteKoning

My ISP gave me a modem box and a Huawei router. I ditched the Huawei for the superior Asus. I connected the modem to WAN port and changing my LAN to 192.168.2.1 and pretty much plug-n-play. It work quite easily. I did have to add VLAN10 though. The modem has only one port - WAN. The ISP provides auto IPs and won't place it in bridge mode. My reckoning is if I can so easily plug-n-play with the Asus, there should be a fairly easy way to setup pfsense to do the same. No?

Thanks! Will look into these once I get my internet connected.

Yes.

I thought this is more a WAN/LAN issue and not necessarily router. But thanks

7. Xentrk

Xentrk Very Senior Member

May not be an issue with the modem since you can plug and play with the Asus router. Another idea...Navigate to
    1. Status
    2. System Logs
    3. System
    4. Gateways
    To see if there is any info that may shed light on the issue. Take a look at the PPP log as well.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!