What's new

Don't need fancy, don't need dual band, need solid 2.4ghz wifi performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iwmtv

Occasional Visitor
Some relatives need to buy a new router. The Wi-fi on the trusty old WRTG54 (with DD-WRT) which I gave them years ago has pretty much died.

Just a description of their layout. It's three stories, and the middle level is where the router would be. Two laptops and a desktop with usb wi-fi dongle, and now a kindle fire which access the router over the air. There is also a computer connected to the router directly.

I own a WNDR3700v1 which has been generally fine except for the latest firmware which was causing connection dropouts (over wired). I downgraded to an earlier firmware and it seems to be ok again though I'm monitoring.

I had actually advised them to pickup the same router. Not pleased that the V3 has what many would consider downgraded specs. Still, the brand new router they purchased and setup was experiencing connection dropout issues over wired and wireless and it's caused a major headache. I've advised them to just pack it up and return it.

So I'm looking for a solid, stable G router that is generally considered to have excellent Wi-Fi signal strength. Also would like to have the ability to place third party firmware on it. Though I've read a few comments in some places now that lead me to believe that wi-fi performance of third-party firmware doesn't match that of the stock firmware. Is that mostly true or just depends kind of thing?

I've just been reading so many threads about these new cream of the crop routers and find myself getting a bit lost.

Last edited:
Some relatives need to buy a new router. The Wi-fi on the trusty old WRTG54 (with DD-WRT) which I gave them years ago has pretty much died.

Just a description of their layout. It's three stories, and the middle level is where the router would be. Two laptops and a desktop with usb wi-fi dongle, and now a kindle fire which access the router over the air. There is also a computer connected to the router directly.

I own a WNDR3700v1 which has been generally fine except for the latest firmware which was causing connection dropouts (over wired). I downgraded to an earlier firmware and it seems to be ok again though I'm monitoring.

I had actually advised them to pickup the same router. Not pleased that the V3 has what many would consider downgraded specs. Still, the brand new router they purchased and setup was experiencing connection dropout issues over wired and wireless and it's caused a major headache. I've advised them to just pack it up and return it.

So I'm looking for a solid, stable G router that is generally considered to have excellent Wi-Fi signal strength. Also would like to have the ability to place third party firmware on it. Though I've read a few comments in some places now that lead me to believe that wi-fi performance of third-party firmware doesn't match that of the stock firmware. Is that mostly true or just depends kind of thing?

I've just been reading so many threads about these new cream of the crop
routers and find myself getting a bit lost.

Hi,
You ought to give a ready made OpenWrt f/w for your WNDR3700v1.
If you can find Ubiquiti PowerAPN , that has high power output and you can load special professional dd-wrt for a license fee.
I keep one as a back up unit for my home network. I am running ASUS RT-N66 with which I am happy for now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!