What's new

Dual WAN setup over TPlink powerline on N66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

barcote

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone.
I have found this website an invaluable resource over the last year or two and a big thanks to everyone that contributes to it. I have never posted before as I have always been able to find the answers to any questions I had from existing topics. However I can't find anything that on the following and wondered if there is anyone that could give me some guidance.

For reasons I shan't bore you with I am shortly due to have a Virginmedia 100Mb cable line installed and will continue to retain my existing 14Mb DSL line because the contract has some 11 months to run. I shan't really need the DSL line in any real sense after that but I was thinking it seems a shame to just switch off the DSL router since I have an Asus router that features dual WAN (N66U) as it could be useful for redundancy or extra bandwidth if it were ever needed.

I am running the Asus router on Merlins excellent firmware. The DSL router and cable router are and will be in different locations of the house so I use a pair of TP link 500Mb powerline nano adapters to connect the Asus router to the existing Sky router on DMZ at present which works perfectly for my needs.

MY QUESTION is this if anyone can help. I am wondering can I simply add a third TP link powerline adapter to connect the new Virgin media hub in modem mode to the existing pair of powerline adapters. I know this much is possible but having looked at the dual wan settings on the N66U I see that the secondary WAN has to be USB or an ethernet port - understandable. The problem I see is that the powerline adapter which is connected to the N66U only has one ethernet port (obviously) so if I connect the third TPlink adapter can I buy an unmanaged switch to split the ethernet cable coming out of the TPlink adapter to the N66U and plug one of those cables into the WAN port and the other into an ethernet port on the N66U and then connect each WAN up through the N66U interface? Would that work or am I overcomplicating or oversimplyfying this?

I realise I could buy two more TP link adapters rather than just one and pair them up to create two powerline network for the new Virgin cable but it struck me that this would be unnecessary if the above would work.

Any guidance would be fantastic. It is probably an easy question and I apologise if I really should know the answer without asking!

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.
Josh

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!