What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@john,
fixed the iPhone issue.

i turned on "sync over wifi"in itunes.

this apparently bypasses some kind of battery saver feature in the iphone 4s so that it stays more awake(it still goes to sleep) without draining the battery.
weird thing is that only the 4s has this problem.
older 4, ipad2 and newer air2, iphone6 were never affected.
probably a buggy battery saver implementation.

also changed my presence script
it now checks for all the devices and only flips 1 "presence"switch using json instead of flipping multiple switches

Since the arrival of a potential KRACK fix is indeterminate, I've pushed a refresh to V28E8 to pick up a few fixes/updates.

Key Updates/Fixes
  • Updates to OpenSSL and OpenVPN
  • Updated Asus OUI db
  • Fixed MIPS CTF not working with some ISPs - @stalker780
  • Standardized reporting and data entry to be Kb/s and Mb/s instead of Kib/s and Mib/s (1K=1000 vs 1K=1024) per telecom standards - @ColinTaylor
    This may require you to readjust your QoS Download/Upload targets
  • Fix QOS units being reset when changing QoS parameters under IE - @ColinTaylor
  • Fix broken guest network page when using French locale - @Ainth
  • Include USB HID support for ARM routers - @gpz1100
    Note this is only included in the new SDK (28E8) build and NOT included in the Legacy (28L8) build (the earlier SDK did not include the support)
Plus some other miscellaneous backports and updates. See the first post and Changelog for details.

Enjoy! (and everyone have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!) And think about when to update if everything is working and you expect a lot of vistors for the holiday :)

Since the arrival of a potential KRACK fix is indeterminate

The MIPS GPL was published last Friday (and of course, one of the two GPLs is corrupted...)

Thankfully, the RT-AC66U GPL contains the wireless driver for the RT-N66U as well.

I can't be 100% sure, but I suspect that updating the wl_*.o, nas and acsd files will cover it. I also updated the rest of the SDK, as there was a bugfix in CTF relative to IPv6 (I already had a manual workaround on my repo).

No idea on the AC68U GPL however, it's still MIA.

The MIPS GPL was published last Friday (and of course, one of the two GPLs is corrupted...)

Thankfully, the RT-AC66U GPL contains the wireless driver for the RT-N66U as well.

I can't be 100% sure, but I suspect that updating the wl_*.o, nas and acsd files will cover it. I also updated the rest of the SDK, as there was a bugfix in CTF relative to IPv6 (I already had a manual workaround on my repo).

No idea on the AC68U GPL however, it's still MIA.
Thanks for the info.....I saw those commits, but thought I'd let you wring them out a bit in your alpha builds then attack it after the holiday :)

Something to think about though.....since the wireless drivers seem to need an update as well.....goodbye to the old driver support for the N66 when I pick up the fix. Will be interesting to see the impact merging the new drivers with the older configuration code.

Last edited:
N66 :(

Thanks for the info.....I saw those commits, but thought I'd let you wring them out a bit in your alpha builds then attack it after the holiday :)

Something to think about though.....since the wireless drivers seem to need an update as well.....goodbye to the old driver support for the N66 when I pick up the fix. Will be interesting to see the impact merging the new drivers with the older configuration code.

Totally makes sense. I only did some basic tests last night with my RT-AC66U, ensuring that my tablet and laptop both connected correctly to it as AC speeds.

The CTF changes might require some testing, however it basically implements the workaround I was already using (provided by theMIROn a few weeks ago). That's probably the only thing I'd be worried about.

I'm not 100% sure that the driver requires an update, but I suspect they do since they have a dedicated wl_apsta.o driver which seems to imply it has both AP and STA functionality built-in. This might be problematic indeed for people wanting to stick to older drivers (especially the RT-N66U).

I guess you could keep providing an old driver version, with a warning that it might not be safe if used in Repeater or Media Bridge mode (maybe a warning on the System Operational Mode page?). Router and AP mode will be fine according to an Email exchange I had with Asus a few weeks ago.

Considering that AC models have dropped a fair bit in price since then, people with RT-N66Us that are facing range/coverage issues might want considering moving to the RT-AC66U_B1, or one of the less expensive non-Broadcom models. Tim's tests showed that the move to a newer AC router brings a few improvements even for N-only users due to improvements in the hardware itself.

The RT-N66U was launched in 2012, so it had a good run, unless you only very recently bought it.

Reactions: il2
Price drop is good, but since the vpn fix from nordvpn, the n66u became a no maintenance device, completely covering my house.

Since I am using it as wifi router, tell us more about that mail exchange ;)

Considering that AC models have dropped a fair bit in price since then, people with RT-N66Us that are facing range/coverage issues might want considering moving to the RT-AC66U_B1, or one of the less expensive non-Broadcom models. Tim's tests showed that the move to a newer AC router brings a few improvements even for N-only users due to improvements in the hardware itself.

The RT-N66U was launched in 2012, so it had a good run, unless you only very recently bought it.

Since I am using it as wifi router, tell us more about that mail exchange ;)

They just confirmed that the Broadcom routers from Asus didn't require any KRACK fix when using in Router or AP mode. However, all your clients still need to be updated.

If a client is not patched there's nothing we can do to prevent man in the middle, right?

They just confirmed that the Broadcom routers from Asus didn't require any KRACK fix when using in Router or AP mode. However, all your clients still need to be updated.

If a client is not patched there's nothing we can do to prevent man in the middle, right?

Correct. There are some hacks out there like one for hostpad that can help mitigate for routers that do use hostpad, but it causes other problems.

Isn't that the case for every router, though? As long as one side is patched, the vulnerability can't be exploited. Isn't that basically a cop out on their part?

Standardized reporting and data entry to be Kb/s and Mb/s instead of Kib/s and Mib/s (1K=1000 vs 1K=1024) per telecom standards - @ColinTaylor
This may require you to readjust your QoS Download/Upload targets
I did have to adjust those back down a little bit, but everything's great now.

You don't say what your "USB" is but I'm assuming it's a flash drive and not a hard disk.

I have also observed the same thing although not a perfectly regular as your image shows. In my case the fluctuations more or less stabilise after about 30 seconds. The Windows graph is slightly misleading as it smooth's out the data. What is happening is there is a burst of data that fills up the write buffer and then the transfer completely stops while the data is written out. Then there is another burst of data.

I've tried playing around with various options in smb.conf but couldn't find any that made a huge difference.

Also be aware that if you have any other process that is also reading or writing to the USB device then that will also interfere with the file transfers.
ya, it is a flash drive. The transfer rate was good the first month after I got router, then after that I have always seen this issue. There was no other processes using the flash drive during my transfer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!