What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there a post with all the ASUS router showing their max speed when you enable the VPN?

I haven't seen a post with all of the routers but here is me experience with three different models.

AC68U (1.0 Ghz dual core)
CTF enabled
DL: 44 Mbps with core 1 at 30%, core 2 at 80%
UL: 58 Mbps with core 1 at 40%, core 2 at 100%

AC3100 (1.4 Ghz dual core)
CTF (Cut Through Forwarding NAT Acceleration)
DL: 61 Mbps with core 1 at 25%, core 2 at 75%
UL: 84 Mbps with core 1 at 35%, core 2 at 100%

AC86U (1.8 Ghz dual core)
Flow Cache enabled
DL: 223 Mbps with core 1 at 35%, core 2 at 70%
UL: 233 Mbps with core 1 at 55%, core 2 at 90%

Data encryption: AES-128-CBC
Data authentication: SHA1
Handshake: RSA-2048

I recently ran more tests on my 86U using AES-128-GCM and got these speeds.
DL: 242 Mbps
UL: 299 Mbps

The high CPU load seemed very surprising to me so I also was inspired to check out the CPU load. I have an RT-AC68U with 800 MHz dual core and running firmware 36E4. My Internet connection is 200 MB/S (actually getting 235 MB/S download) and I have CTF on (Level 2 CTF). Using the top command from Telnet (press "1" to see each core), my base load with only Telnet running is: CPU1 1.4% to 1.8% load and CPU2 0.0 to 0.4% load. When I run Speedtest, CPU1 is 98.9% - 99.9% load and CPU2 is 0.4% - 3.0% load. So kind of interesting that CPU1 is fully occupied and CPU2 remains essentially idle. I reckon John or others can comment on the behavior we should expect. On the not related to anything side, I noticed in /tmp/Beceem_firmware some old Wimax (which I thought was deader than a doornail) drivers from Beceem (now Broadcom) using file names macxvi*.* and dated from 2010. Are these old remnants or actually used? Just curious!! Many thanks for John & team making really great firmware. Also any thoughts on the upcoming WIFI 6 (AX) and new routers that are coming available soon on the new standard?

Hello,

I just switched from latest merlin rt-ac 66 to john's fork, because merlins is not longer maintained. I have an Samsung Tv, which once had the issue that resume playback didn't work in merlins releases, before minidlna was upgraded.
With the newest build from johns fork it is not working again.
I saw on github that the version that is used by john seems to be 1.1.3 from 2014 and merlin used 1.1.7. Meanwhile version 1.2.1 is the newest.
Is there a chance that this component gets upgraded in johns build? Or is there a reason why it is not?

Thanks

minidlna 1.2.1-3 is available from entware, if you were so inclined you could try installing and configuring that. I don't have any advice for doing so because I've never used minidlna.

minidlna 1.2.1-3 is available from entware, if you were so inclined you could try installing and configuring that.

Thank you for the info. I didn't know about that option. Then minidlna is running in its own linux environment? Is there any disadvantage when running minidlna that way, like higher cpu load or security risks?
Thanks

Thank you for the info. I didn't know about that option. Then minidlna is running in its own linux environment? Is there any disadvantage when running minidlna that way, like higher cpu load or security risks?
Thanks
On the security risk front, I can’t say but I would expect it to be as good or better since it’s a more recent version. As far as disadvantages, I think the thing you’ll have to check into is making sure the built in version is as disabled as possible, so that it isn’t in conflict with the entware version. I can’t offer specifics on that, but I think disabling built in minidlna is as simple as flipping the switch off in the GUI. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Hello,
I'm using n66u router and found problem with wifi performance on new Iphone. After it connect to 5Ghz wifi everything is allright, after some time wifi speed is slowing down.
In the same time there are another connected devices (android and ios) which doesnt have this problem.
I was trying latest Asus firmware and Merlin without success, now i'm on the latest John 374.43_36E4j9527 and waiting if the problem still exist.
After reseting router or Iphone problem goes away for some time, usually 1 day.
Do you have any idea what could cause such a behavior?

Check to see if "Regulation mode" on the 5GHz professional tab is set to 802.11H (802.11d on 2.4 GHz if applicable). If not, set it, apply, reboot and see if the problem persists. It's been my experience that SOME iOS devices (but not all even of exact same model type - component lottery) for some reason do not like it when that setting is off and either things grind to a crawl or the mobile disconnects entirely.

Check to see if "Regulation mode" on the 5GHz professional tab is set to 802.11H (802.11d on 2.4 GHz if applicable). If not, set it, apply, reboot and see if the problem persists. It's been my experience that SOME iOS devices (but not all even of exact same model type - component lottery) for some reason do not like it when that setting is off and either things grind to a crawl or the mobile disconnects entirely.
It's already enabled 802.11d+h. I've also changed region to US, because on EU i didn't saw high channels.

Last edited:
It's already enabled 802.11d+h. I've also changed region to US, because on EU i didn't saw high channels.
Those should both be off. Also try disabling the beam forming option if you have that. I’m not familiar with the n66 but ac models have a non-ac beam forming option on 5ghz that causes issues sometimes.

I've also changed region to US,
Don't. Change it back to EU and use the "wl_dfs_enable" NVRAM setting as per the documentation (Merlin_Fork_Options.txt).
Code:
Ability to enable DFS channels for N66U/AC66U-MIPS EU routers

Can be set in gui:      No
        Enable via NVRAM:       nvram set wl_dfs_enable=1
                                nvram commit && reboot

Routers Supported:      N66U/R/W, AC66U_B0
        Released:               Update-18
        Reboot Required:        Yes
        Notes:                  The base 374.43 firmware only supports the lower channels on the 5GHz band in
                                  EU configured routers.
                                This setting enables support for the DFS and upper 5GHz channels with full regulatory
                                  support.
                                Note: There are two versions of the MIPS based AC66U, rev A2 and rev B0.  The DFS
                                  DFS channels are only available on the later rev B0 hardware.

Don't. Change it back to EU and use the "wl_dfs_enable" NVRAM setting as per the documentation (Merlin_Fork_Options.txt).
I changed back to EU and set dfs but now i cannot see UNII-3 channels and cannot disable 802.11d+h so where is the benefit?

I changed back to EU and set dfs but now i cannot see UNII-3 channels and cannot disable 802.11d+h so where is the benefit?
The benefit is that your router is now operating in accordance with EU regulations and is compatible with devices sold for the EU market. U-NII-3 channels aren't permissible in the EU so don't be surprised if clients don't work properly with them.

Thanks for clarification, now i will not take my iphone beyond the EU borders ;) btw the problem unfortunately existed on US and EU region so i decided to return this device. Thanks everybody for trying to help me.

Thanks for clarification, now i will not take my iphone beyond the EU borders ;) btw the problem unfortunately existed on US and EU region so i decided to return this device. Thanks everybody for trying to help me.
Perhaps too late, anyway: my Wileyfox Swift had a sh*tty connection to my router (AP, Freshtomato, formerly DD-WRT) till I had discovered Interference mitigation and set it to WLAN Auto with Noise Reduction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently re-dusted my old n66u and I'm using it in AP mode to help my 1900P seating in basement with wifi range. My n66u uses merlin's last update 380.70 (including Krack fix). Would there be a benefit to upgrade to the latest John's fork? Would the upgrade offer more/better security? I'm using WPA2-Personal for 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you in advance for your advise.

EDIT: As good people pointed out there is no AP router :p (apologies for the confusion)

Last edited:
Has anyone else seen their traffic monitor to be not working? Internet tab wont show all traffic. stats are not accurate anymore. I downloaded 100GB of data this morning and its showing .5MB downloaded

If you're only using the wireless part of the N66U then there won't be any difference. Both firmwares use the same wireless driver from 380.8120

I'm currently re-dusted my old n66u and I'm using it as AP router ...
BTW it can't be an "AP router";), it's either an AP or a router (or a repeater or a media bridge:D).

Has anyone else seen their traffic monitor to be not working? Internet tab wont show all traffic. stats are not accurate anymore. I downloaded 100GB of data this morning and its showing .5MB downloaded

That's not that unusual, depending on the particular setup.

If you're only using the wireless part of the N66U then there won't be any difference. Both firmwares use the same wireless driver from 380.8120

BTW it can't be an "AP router";), it's either an AP or a router (or a repeater or a media bridge:D).

Guilty as charged LOL and Thank you very much for your answer !!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!