What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Most of the problems are probably due to the lack of time sync, but the router should still resolve DNS anyway.

Can you post a screenshot of your WAN settings? And NTP servers from the Administration/System page?

All of John's 40Ex releases have been working great with DoT
on my RT68

As a workaround try using 216.239.35.0 (google Public NTP server) for your primary NTP server

Sorry guysy, but is John back now? I see you post to him and a new release is available, still I don't see John posting?

Sorry guysy, but is John back now? I see you post to him and a new release is available, still I don't see John posting?
All we know is new builds have been appearing in his OneDrive development directory in the past month, but his last forum post was almost 6 months ago.

I'm also experimenting with forcing the router to use WAN DNS for its lookups instead of DNSMASQ, like Merlin did by default in 384.12. I think it makes sense to do so, but not sure if there are any side-effects unique to John's fork.
My /jffs/scripts/wan-start script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

[ -f "/tmp/resolv.conf" ] && ln -sf /tmp/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

EDIT: I see this is fruitless because dnsmasq relinks the /etc/resolv.conf to /rom/etc/resolv.conf AFTER the dnsmasq.postconf script runs, so I can't really enforce this. Learned something new!
Eureka! It didn’t occur to me at first, but in 40E4 John implemented the service-event-end script execution. So I’ve created /jffs/scripts/service-event-end with:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

ACTION="$1"
SERVICE="$2"

if [ "$ACTION" = "start" ] || [ "$ACTION" = "restart" ] && [ "$SERVICE" = "dnsmasq" ]; then
        [ -f "/tmp/resolv.conf" ] && ln -sf /tmp/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
fi

“Redirect to Error Page” disabled and apparently nothing changes

Do you need any other log?
Questions:
  1. Does your router have a public WAN IP address assigned when Internet is "broken"?
  2. Can you ping 1.1.1.1 from your router using the Network Tools / Network Analysis page in the GUI?
  3. Can you nslookup www.snbforums.com from the Network Tools / Network Analysis page in the GUI?
  4. Are you comfortable posting the entire syslog from the router, or at least the section where you enable DoT?
  5. Is it possible your ISP has blocked DoT, or was this working before on v39E3 of the fork?

Are these issues on MIPS routers (N66U, AC66U)? From the changelog it reads that John backed out his stubby workaround for MIPS because it was incorporated upstream in getdns. Maybe it's not working as it should.

Is stubby running at all?

Questions:
  1. Does your router have a public WAN IP address assigned when Internet is "broken"?
  2. Can you ping 1.1.1.1 from your router using the Network Tools / Network Analysis page in the GUI?
  3. Can you nslookup www.snbforums.com from the Network Tools / Network Analysis page in the GUI?
  4. Are you comfortable posting the entire syslog from the router, or at least the section where you enable DoT?
  5. Is it possible your ISP has blocked DoT, or was this working before on v39E3 of the fork?

1. I see a public WAN with DoT enabled
2. 1.1.1.1 working
PING 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: seq=0 ttl=58 time=3.241 ms
64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: seq=1 ttl=58 time=3.139 ms
64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: seq=2 ttl=58 time=3.162 ms
64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: seq=3 ttl=58 time=3.160 ms
64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: seq=4 ttl=58 time=3.137 ms

--- 1.1.1.1 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 3.137/3.167/3.241 ms

3. Nslookup fails
4. Log when DoT enabled https://pastebin.com/raw/n4ALy2de
5. Actually DoT is working when v39E3 is installed

Router is MIPS AC66U

What I see here is that NTP is not causing the issue because when I set Google 216.239.35.0 NTP, time sync.
It's a DNS resolver issue.

1. I see a public WAN with DoT enabled
2. 1.1.1.1 working
PING 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: seq=0 ttl=58 time=3.241 ms
64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: seq=1 ttl=58 time=3.139 ms
64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: seq=2 ttl=58 time=3.162 ms
64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: seq=3 ttl=58 time=3.160 ms
64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: seq=4 ttl=58 time=3.137 ms

--- 1.1.1.1 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 3.137/3.167/3.241 ms

3. Nslookup fails
4. Log when DoT enabled https://pastebin.com/raw/n4ALy2de
5. Actually DoT is working when v39E3 is installed

Router is MIPS AC66U

What I see here is that NTP is not causing the issue because when I set Google 216.239.35.0 NTP, time sync.
It's a DNS resolver issue.
To confirm my theory, what happens if you SSH to the router and run:
Code:
stubby -g -C /etc/stubby.yml

EDIT: Nevermind, I see in your syslog a 55 exit code for Stubby, which confirms it.

To confirm my theory, what happens if you SSH to the router and run:
Code:
stubby -g -C /etc/stubby.yml

EDIT: Nevermind, I see in your syslog a 55 exit code for Stubby, which confirms it.

Thanks Dave
so with this in mind, what should MIPS owners expect?

Thanks Dave
so with this in mind, what should MIPS owners expect?
Stay on 39E3 and wait to see if a new build is posted sometime in the future. John fixed this before, so I'm sure he can fix it again if the GetDNS code isn't right on MIPS.

Hello. I use Merlin 384.13. I need to install a IPVanish VPN applet. I cannot find a place on Merlin to input the commands to install. Documentation for DD-WRT points to System->Commands however I cannot find a comparable box in Merlin.

thanks, Bj

Hello. I use Merlin 384.13. I need to install a IPVanish VPN applet. I cannot find a place on Merlin to input the commands to install. Documentation for DD-WRT points to System->Commands however I cannot find a comparable box in Merlin.
This thread is about John's forked firmware, not Merlin's. That said, neither firmware has a System->Commands option. Asuswrt is not DD-WRT.

thanks, Bj

You are posting to the wrong thread. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!