What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Load balancing doesn't work that way, summing up the speeds for a single data connection (hence the name balancing, not bonding). The balancing is done for separate data connections. If you had two single-threaded downloads for example, one will be routed through one connection, and the second one through the other.
If your download speed test is single-threaded, you'll only see the max speed of whichever WAN you're routed through.

i came across this when i was looking into load balancing and thought maybe the ASUS load balancing would do the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDUfP8a5zNY

You're still confusing the two concepts. :) Listen again to what the guy in the video says from the 9:00 minute mark on about the used app having to know how to open multiple sockets / data connections.
That TP-Link does balancing, the same your ASUS does. Not channel bonding.

...this cable runs between what components?

ASUS - cable - PC ?

Make sure all components are Gbit capable.
The ASUS is, but what about the NIC in your PC?
Also the cable needs to be CAT5e or higher.

Ford Prefect offers good advice.....most likely culprits in order (at least by my thinking)

(1) PC NIC is not a Gb NIC....this is more likely if you are using an older laptop which many times just contains a 100Mb NIC. Check Device Manager for the type of Network Adapter you have.
(1a) You have an older 100Mb switch in your network.
(2) You need to upgrade your Ethernet cables to cat5e or cat6.
(3) At some point, someone changed the negotiation speed for the windows driver. Check that it's set to Auto or 1Gb.

...this cable runs between what components?

ASUS - cable - PC ?

Make sure all components are Gbit capable.
The ASUS is, but what about the NIC in your PC?
Also the cable needs to be CAT5e or higher.

The cable (2 (two) cables between Router an PC's
Yes. I am definitely sure that both components (Router and MotherBoard LAN) is Gigabyte.
I am sure because it was there http://note.io/1qDGcQM Realtek® 8111G, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)

I am already wrote, that after my first setup Fork from the scratch it was 1Gb. After couple of days I noticed the copying speed from my Mac was too slow to the PC and I checked the connection type and it now 100Mbps. I switch off all autocorrection in the LAN driver on PC, set it on 1Gbit Duplex instead of 100Mbps half-duplex.

Ford Prefect offers good advice.....most likely culprits in order (at least by my thinking)

(1) PC NIC is not a Gb NIC....this is more likely if you are using an older laptop which many times just contains a 100Mb NIC. Check Device Manager for the type of Network Adapter you have.
(1a) You have an older 100Mb switch in your network.
(2) You need to upgrade your Ethernet cables to cat5e or cat6.
(3) At some point, someone changed the negotiation speed for the windows driver. Check that it's set to Auto or 1Gb.

And please tell me how to enforce Wi-Fi Speed? I came from clean Merlin Firmware to Fork to use maximum speed over Wi-Fi. What settings is necessarily to the fastest one?

Last edited:
Ipv6 stateful dhcp and dhcp6s.conf

So I recently got an RT-AC68W and have been rocking this firmware 374.43.02_v4 by recommendation for a week now. Things have been pretty stable, which is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I did run into some IP6 issue(s) and I was wondering if you could include addressing in the next rev and even if not perhaps this will help someone who might have the same problem, I'm not sure yet (have not had the nerve to start flashing different builds) but it may not be fork specific.

Issue:
I have Comcast and an ipv6 enabled connection and sb6141->ac68.
Ac68 IP6 settings set to native and dhcp-pd; pulls ipv6 /64 assignment 9 out of 10 times just fine. However dhcp6s not serving up delegated prefix ip's when stateful addressing is enabled. Even though the gui shows fullprefix::1000 to fullprefix::2000 the dhcp6s.conf when running only shows "range ::1000 to ::2000". The result is dhcp6s not issuing my assigned addresses, or actually it seem per -dDf starts literally advertising ::1000 - 0::2000 which clients are smart enough not to accept.

Resolution:
Best I could tell from the internet snooping is the full prefix should be in there, and by killing dhcpd; putting the full prefix in there ie
range 2601:x:x:x::1000 to 2601:x:x:x::1000 ;
the result is dhcp6s working perfectly and said address ranges being issued via dhcp6s once restarted with the change.

Notes: I don't know if maybe the wide dhcp6s code is custom and is supposed to be inserting the right prefix in there on it own and isn't for some other reason I just know that making the .conf conform to the docs I could find made everything work perfectly. Anyway I was thinking whatever runs in the firmware to update that host kame{ prefix } entry could also be changed to update the range line at the same time - I have no idea where to even look for that.

Temporary workaround - dhcp6s.postconf:
*Note to others this works for bootup...assuming the isp responds to your requests, but if you start making changes via the gui that for whatever regenerates the conf you usually lose the changes and have to do them manually again and restart the service, or reboot... maybe there is a perfect way to catch all the situations but I'm a noob and have not found it yet. Constructive advice always welcome.
Added to /jffs/scripts/dhcp6s.postconf change the 1000 2000 accordingly for your own needs:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG="/etc/dhcp6s.conf"
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

THEPREFIX1=$(nvram get ipv6_prefix)1000
THEPREFIX2=$(nvram get ipv6_prefix)2000
THENEWRANGE="range $THEPREFIX1 to $THEPREFIX2 ;"

pc_replace "range ::1000 to ::2000;" "$THENEWRANGE" $CONFIG
One could also copy said changed file to /jffs/configs/dhcp6s.conf version of course...to maybe help with some of the losing of entries upon gui changes triggering restarts\recompilation of the conf, that is assuming one didn't have /jffs mounted read-only to say avoid syslog writes. :(

Lastly my apologies in advance if this the wrong place to be putting this or my defect report is otherwise inappropriate.

Last edited:
No issues with IPv6 here with comcast using N66U or AC68U. Sometimes it can be tricky to first obtain a v6 allocation but rebooting usually gets things going. I personally think comcast native v6 is sometimes wonky.

Issue:
I have Comcast and an ipv6 enabled connection and sb6141->ac68.
Ac68 IP6 settings set to native and dhcp-pd; pulls ipv6 /64 assignment 9 out of 10 times just fine. However dhcp6s not serving up delegated prefix ip's when stateful addressing is enabled.

I have Comcast v6 and it works perfectly with the default setting of stateless.

I have Comcast v6 and it works perfectly with the default setting of stateless.

That's good to know, really the times it doesn't pull one is just outside of the bootup (which always works btw)... but god for bid I touch anything that resets the interfaces on this device then it just seems to always lose it and never pull another till reboot. Seems to happen without regard to the stateless\stateful selection for myself. As for stateless auto config working in general yeah it seems too, I just don't want to use stateless. :)

BTW I'd love to request a /60 from Comcast too but in reading a bunch it seems that might be more trouble than it's worth till Asus ups it's game\support throughout the device in that area.

BTW I think I may have tacked down where the problem stems if it helps anyone.
/release/src/router/rc/services.c#L1306 (guess it's still an issue in 376 line as well as)
Code:
if (service == IPV6_NATIVE_DHCP && nvram_get_int("ipv6_autoconf_type")) {
fprintf(fp, "interface %s {\n"
"allow rapid-commit;\n"
"address-pool lan %d;\n"
"};\n"
"pool lan {\n"
"range %s to %s;\n"
"};\n",
nvram_safe_get("lan_ifname"), dhcp_lifetime,
nvram_safe_get("ipv6_dhcp_start"), nvram_safe_get("ipv6_dhcp_end"));
}

Should probably be.. (assuming one first checks for valid value in ipv6_prefix) something like:
Code:
nvram_safe_get("lan_ifname"), dhcp_lifetime,
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]nvram_safe_get("ipv6_prefix")[/COLOR]nvram_safe_get("ipv6_dhcp_start"), [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]nvram_safe_get("ipv6_prefix")[/COLOR]nvram_safe_get("ipv6_dhcp_end"));
Guess the assumption was the full addresses were stored in the _start\_end nvram vars upon getting an ipv6 assignment, but their not and best I can tell they're not supposed to be, or maybe they are and the webadmin page stuff isn't doing it, one of them seems true but can't be 'both'. Or someone at asus had dnsmasq 6 on their mind and thought the ::xxxx format would work here.

Last edited:
The cable (2 (two) cables between Router an PC's
Yes. I am definitely sure that both components (Router and MotherBoard LAN) is Gigabyte.
I am sure because it was there http://note.io/1qDGcQM Realtek® 8111G, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)

I am already wrote, that after my first setup Fork from the scratch it was 1Gb. After couple of days I noticed the copying speed from my Mac was too slow to the PC and I checked the connection type and it now 100Mbps. I switch off all autocorrection in the LAN driver on PC, set it on 1Gbit Duplex instead of 100Mbps half-duplex.

And please tell me how to enforce Wi-Fi Speed? I came from clean Merlin Firmware to Fork to use maximum speed over Wi-Fi. What settings is necessarily to the fastest one?
The realtek chip might be your problem. I couldn't get mine to go gigabit and it was stuck at 100mbps. Went and buy the intel CT Gigabit NIC,got gigabit right away ;)

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

You're still confusing the two concepts. :) Listen again to what the guy in the video says from the 9:00 minute mark on about the used app having to know how to open multiple sockets / data connections.
That TP-Link does balancing, the same your ASUS does. Not channel bonding.

ok i get you. will speedify do the trick as far as i can tell it combines all your connections and connects to a server which websites see as one IP address

I just purchased the RT-AC68P and was wondering if this Fork version will work with this model?

Router came with factory firmware 3.0.0.4.376_2104. Is there any harm downgrading from 376 to 374 and is there a special process of doing this or just flashing the firmware and factory resetting afterwards?

Last edited:
I just purchased the RT-AC68P and was wondering if this Fork version will work with this model?

Router came with factory firmware 3.0.0.4.376_2104. Is there any harm downgrading from 376 to 374 and is there a special process of doing this or just flashing the firmware and factory resetting afterwards?

Good question, for which I don't know the answer. I just saw a post from Merlin that ASUS confirmed that the code is the same as the AC68U, but I don't know if that's a 376 level only statement and some common code was updated to support it.

Maybe Merlin can give an opinion.....

I have an RT-N66U. In the GUI is see that maximum power is only 100mW for 2.4GHz. Is this correct??

What is the proper way to increase power on 2.4GHz and 5GHz and what is the maximum?

Good question, for which I don't know the answer. I just saw a post from Merlin that ASUS confirmed that the code is the same as the AC68U, but I don't know if that's a 376 level only statement and some common code was updated to support it.

It will probably work, as I don't recall any special kernel-level change to accomodate something such as a different type of flash.

Worst case scenario, you can always flash back with the latest, stock Asus firmware for the RT-AC68P, or 376.47.

By all accounts, 374 firmwares have better range and performance then the newer 376 firmwares released by Asus?

Is it recommended I flash w/ 374 or update to the latest 376? :confused:

By all accounts, 374 firmwares have better range and performance then the newer 376 firmwares released by Asus?

Is it recommended I flash w/ 374 or update to the latest 376? :confused:

Since you are not locked into either one, my recommendation is to try them both and see which you prefer. Many are perfectly happy with wireless performance on 376 and appreciate the newer features it provides. If you have issues with 376, you have the fork available as an alternative.

And, just a reminder to do a factory reset after the firmware upgrade when moving between levels.

Update-05 Available

Another month gone by, and another update release....

LATEST RELEASE: Update-05
02-November-2014
Merlin fork 374.43_2-05j9527
Download http://1drv.ms/1uChm3J
===============================

For those of you not yet ready to update to the latest 376.xx release, I have created an incremental update (fixpack) to 374.43_2. This build primarily backports some of the fixes of the later Merlin builds back to the 374.43_2 build.

Update-05 of the 374.43 update fork is now available. This release is primarly focused on updating support modules such as OpenSSL, dropbear and miniupnpd. The miniupnpd update should help users with Xbox consoles and port assignments. SSLv2/SSLv3 support has also been removed for router access in favor of TLS 1.0 for security reasons. It also adds a couple of user requested enhancements.

With the OpenSSL update and router web security update, it is recommended to update to this release for improved security. As always, review the changes with respect to your environment and develop an update plan which best suits your needs.

Enjoy!

History

-------

374.43_2-05j9527 (02-November-2014)
- Source: https://github.com/john9527/asuswrt-merlin : branch 374.43_2-update
- Desc: Incremental update to remap key fixes through 376.48 beta3, update-05

- CHANGED: OpenSSL: Upgraded to 1.0.0o
- CHANGED: SSL: disable SSLv2 and SSLv3 support - we now only support TLS 1.0 for https access (IE6 browser is no longer supported)
- CHANGED: Updated miniupnpd to 1.9 (plus upstream PCP fix)
- CHANGED: Updated dropbear to 2014.66
- FIXED: init-broadcom: fix typo preventing wireless mac filter from working on guest network
* FIXED: Password obscured on Wireless/General tab unless has focus (user request)
* NEW: ssh: Add nvram option to listen on single address (user request)

Changes/fixes marked as (*) are unique to this fork, but do not affect the basic/default function of the firmware.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* NEW: ssh: Add ability to restrict to single address (user request)
You can restrict the ssh (dropbear) client to listen on only a single address,
usually your router lan IP address (i.e. 192.168.1.1). Warning, an invalid or
unused address will prevent SSH access - use telnet to fix. I do not expect this
option will be required for most environments.

nvram set sshd_addr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (substitute the desired IP address)
nvram commit
(reboot is required)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

README-merlin-fork.txt
RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-05j9527.trx........MD5: E2669C0A59803B4ACC904A87A43819BC
RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-05j9527.trx........MD5: 7497F283F8BCF07DCF12A9BC363AA1C2
RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-05j9527.trx........MD5: F2CCD5D8C85118E71854767AEE28B891
RT-N16_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-05j9527.trx..........MD5: 26C5FD897B09837FB7A2F06BA80B6687
RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-05j9527.trx.........MD5: 812ACC2B4618D842508F9C55D59D1B6A

A couple of things...

(1) the complete command set includes a regrev variable which is part of the definition. It looks to me as if the country settings primarily determine channels, and the regrev determines power (and probably some other driver internals).

(2) the chlist values are built dynamically from the above settings, so if you change those they definitely will be overridden.

(3) the regrev values aren't consistent between country codes. By that, I mean it would be nice if regrev=0 was always the default....it's not. Playing around on the 68U, in some countries regrev=0 works, and others it basically shuts down the radio or some of the channels.

Today I played a bit more with this.
Long story short, I always see a RF signal drop. Often as much as -5dB. :eek:

When I try the often seen combination below, this is the case.
Code:
nvram set regulation_domain=#a
(default=EU)
nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=#a
(default=EU)
nvram set pci/1/1/regrev=0
(default=5)
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
(default=EU)
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
(default=5)
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
(default=off)
nvram commit
reboot

If you try my defaults, do you see a RF jump?

Some interesting stuff I found using Google.

Code:
# NVRAM board text file template for the Asus RT-AC66U router
#
# Regulatory parameters
# ccode is the "Country Code". This will be changed depending upon where the board is shipped.
# A value of "0" turns off the driver regulatory limits and should only be used for testing purposes.
pci/1/1/ccode=US

# regrev is only available in sromrev>=3. It sets a sub-revision of the regulatory locale table for each country code
pci/1/1/regrev=0

# sromrev tells the software what "version" of NVRAM is used.
sromrev=8

# NOTE: When SROM parameters are used in NVRAM, the "pci/1/1/boardtype", "pci/1/1/boardrev", 
#       and "pci/1/1/boardnum" parameters should NOT be placed in NVRAM.

# sromrev tells the software what "version" of SROM is used.
pci/1/1/sromrev=9

# pci/1/1/aa2g sets which antennas are available for 2.4GHz. Value is a bit field:
# Bit 0 = 1 for antenna 0 is available, 0 for not.
# Bit 1 = 1 for antenna 1 is available, 0 for not.
# Bit 2 = 1 for antenna 2 is available, 0 for not.
# Bit 3 = 1 for antenna 3 is available, 0 for not.
# the WOMBO chip has two 2.4GHz antennas available
pci/1/1/aa2g=7

# agX sets the antenna gain for antenna X. Lower 6 bits are interpreted as a signed number representing
# whole dB. Hi 2 bits represent number of quarter dBs. qdB's are ALWAYS POSITIVE and are
# added to whole dBs, so -1 whole dB and 1 qdB = 0x7F = -1dB + 0.25dB = -0.75dB. Range is
# -32dB to +31.75 dB.
# set 0dB gain for all available antennas
pci/1/1/ag0=0
pci/1/1/ag1=0
pci/1/1/ag2=0

# txchain is a bit field that sets how many TX chains are implemented.
# Bit 0 = 1 for TX chain 0 is implemented, 0 for not.
# Bit 1 = 1 for TX chain 1 is implemented, 0 for not.
# Bit 2 = 1 for TX chain 2 is implemented, 0 for not.
# Bit 3 = 1 for TX chain 3 is implemented, 0 for not.
# WOMBO chip has TX chains 0 and 1
pci/1/1/txchain=7

# rxchain is a bit field that sets how many RX chains are implemented.
# Bit 0 = 1 for RX chain 0 is implemented, 0 for not.
# Bit 1 = 1 for RX chain 1 is implemented, 0 for not.
# Bit 2 = 1 for RX chain 2 is implemented, 0 for not.
# Bit 3 = 1 for RX chain 3 is implemented, 0 for not.
# WOMBO chip has RX chains 0 and 1
pci/1/1/rxchain=7

# antswitch sets the type of antenna diversity switch used on the board
# 0 = no antenna diversity switch, not 2-of-3
# 1 = antenna diversity switch config as on BCM94321cb2 2of3
# 2 = antenna diversity switch config as on BCM94321mp 2of3
# 3 = antenna diversity switch config as on any 2of3 design newer than 4321
pci/1/1/antswitch=0

# tssipos2g sets the slope for the 2.4GHz TSSI to be either 0=negative or 1=positive
# set positive slope
pci/1/1/tssipos2g=1

# extpagain2g sets what type of external 2.4GHz PA is used: 
0 = full gain PA,  1 = PA "lite",  2 = no external PA, 3 = high power external PA
pci/1/1/extpagain2g=3

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!