What's new

From rt-ax92u to rt-ax86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Samuel_1975

Regular Contributor
well I had got asus router rt-ax92u but have downgraded to asus rt-ax86u instead as it supports from merlin and not the other,

have got 2 new routers as there were extra prices in two places when I bought one in another place and the other in another place to see how one firmware would think

well I wonder if dns rebind protection so some are for it and some are against that protection and then I probably need to have it running as it possibly stops a little more in the router and maybe gives the wrong message as some claim, is used to drt errors and blockages come from my sister's router due to websites that should not be accessed that are scams and pages that look like they are genuine

has a small question what is stun for programs that appear on the router on analysis

then I possibly wish if merlin or asus could set an automatic speed reductions for a certain time in the evening when family control does not work again after asus fixed back so baypass could be used again, right now you get on the old router which is rt-ax92u and has a baypass but I have seen that you can slow down if someone tries to use a vpn to stt bypass the router at night so instead of full speed you minimize it to a minimum so the internet goes extra slow when it is blocked,

someone who knows good settings on the asus router rt-ax86u as I have only tested with me before I take the other to my sister

There are many opinions for router settings.
With the Asus firmware I basically use the default WIFI settings, WAN settings I turn off UPnP and use DNS Privacy Protocol set to Quad9 or Cloudflare Secure. I do use Adaptive QOS and AiProtection.
Merlin firmware has more options but I start with the same basic settings as with Asus. DNSSEC, DNS Rebind Protection, DNS Filter and DoS Protection are good. These do no block adds so Diversion Standard works well for this and can be added to.
As far as blocking all the bad sites, that is almost impossible. Teaching good browsing habbits goes a long way to preventing these issues. Keeping the OS and programs/apps up to date also helps.
Best of luck with the AX86U! It is a great product.

hi thanks for your reply!

well it's true to take it easy on the internet and not easy when one wants to test the limits it seems,

well as I said I prefer merlin asuswrt firmware in the first place as the firmware is quite okay and better overview at the same time in the program

have a good day

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!