What's new

Beta GT-AXE16000 9.0.0.6.102_4856 New Beta Firmware Release Notes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Still using it

I am ready to reflash it, has it been solid? I have a fairly straightforward setup 45 connections, no vpn.

Anything I should be aware of? Thanks for the input.

Charlie

No issues so far, I've got 2 vlans setup for IoT and guest network. No VPN and around 40 connected devices. Been using it for almost a year now.

Yes and the previous beta before that. This router for about 1 year

The only thing that concerns me in using this Beta Firmware is the fact that it does NOT have all of the security updates as the stock fimware that was released a month later (April). Does that concern you?

CC

Why do you think that?

Why do you think that?
Because in the firmware ASUS GT-AXE16000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23012 released about a month later than the beta has the following security updates.

Security updates:
-Enabled and supported ECDSA certificates for Let's Encrypt.
-Enhanced protection for credentials.
-Enhanced protection for OTA firmware updates.
-Fixed DoS vulnerabilities in firewall configuration pages. Thanks to Jinghe Gao's contribution.
-Fixed DoS vulerabilities in httpd. Thanks to Howard McGreehan.
-Fixed information disclosure vulnerability. Thanks to Junxu (Hillstone Network Security Research Institute) contribution.
-Fixed CVE-2023-28702 and CVE-2023-28703. Thanks to Xingyu Xu(@tmotfl) contribution.
-Fixed null pointer dereference vulnerabilities. Thanks to Chengfeng Ye, Prism Research Group - cse hkust contribution.

Do I assume the Beta also has these fixes?

CC

I would assume that.

Not everything fixed is listed (every time) in the changelog.

Do I assume the Beta also has these fixes?
Impossible to tell since they are two separate code branches, developed in parallel. It may have some, all, or none of these fixes.

Impossible to tell since they are two separate code branches, developed in parallel. It may have some, all, or none of these fixes.
Eric,

What is your gut feeling? Is it safe to use or no?

CC

Safe. (Not Eric). :)

Eric,

What is your gut feeling? Is it safe to use or no?

CC
If you don't expose the webui to the WAN then the risk is minimal.

Oh boy, right back to Merlin firmware.
Back to .388_4 on my GT-AXE16000. I liked the speed of the beta but I am not risking any security issues.

Exposing Webui to WAN:
I make all my changes from the network logging into the router ip address from within the wireless signal. Thus through the WAN. Are you referring to logging in remotely through the internet thru the router WAN? Or both cases locally and internet?
CC

from within the wireless signal. Thus through the WAN.
If you are connecting over Wifi, then you are within your LAN, you are not over the Internet.

I just went back and fresh installed this beta again. Setting up the Guest Network Pro portion. Guest on VLAN works perfectly keeping all guests on a different DNS server (chosen) and outside the main network. Tested and verified working 100%. No access to main network when on the Guest.

Everything else is running perfectly. Time will tell. Will look for memory loss and any catastrophic event that causes the router to reboot.

CC

Just updating:

So far the memorsy has not moved at all in 4 days. The present latest Asus and Merlin firmwares have leaked 1% per day for the first 12 days I have used them. This has zero memory loss so far.

Also no crashes. Everything working perfectly. Guest network Pro VLAN also working perfectly. I will report back in a few days to update again.

CC

I'm looking forward to your next report, but I'm not expecting anything (positive or negative) to come from such close monitoring of the memory usage when no issue is present otherwise.

Is there no later beta version? The latest one on Asus support site is 3.0.0.4.388.23012 which is just 9 days short of a year old. So this is the Beta version you are installing @cc666? I just bought this AXE-16000 and immediately added Merlin to it because I love the added stats I can get out of Merlin. So I'm a bit hesitant to go Beta, but if what you all are saying that the Beta is stable and there's no memory leak (I've noticed this as well on my RT-AX88U prior to this) Then, I'll give it a go.
By the way, I have been, and currently use AiMesh. I used to use it between my RT-AX88U and a RT-AX56U. now that the RT-AX56U is no longer supported by Merlin, and the fact that I really wanted the 10Gb capability on my LAN, as well as it being on a decent sale, I bought the AXE-16000. So I will be testing AiMesh on Beta. If there's anything really troubling I will add it here.

Last edited:
Is there no later beta version? The latest one on Asus support site is 3.0.0.4.388.23012 which is just 9 days short of a year old. So this is the Beta version you are installing @cc666? I just bought this AXE-16000 and immediately added Merlin to it because I love the added stats I can get out of Merlin. So I'm a bit hesitant to go Beta, but if what you all are saying that the Beta is stable and there's no memory leak (I've noticed this as well on my RT-AX88U prior to this) Then, I'll give it a go.
By the way, I have been, and currently use AiMesh. I used to use it between my RT-AX88U and a RT-AX56U. now that the RT-AX56U is no longer supported by Merlin, and the fact that I really wanted the 10Gb capability on my LAN, as well as it being on a decent sale, I bought the AXE-16000. So I will be testing AiMesh on Beta. If there's anything really troubling I will add it here.
I suggest you give it a shot,

GT-AXE16000 9.0.0.6.102_4856​

there is no memory leat at all. Everything works perfectly, The VLAN guest network works perfectly.

The latest official Asus firmware is ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000 Firmware version 3.0.04.388_24329 dated 12/18/2023. No VLAN and memory leak just like the Merlin firmware.

CC

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!