What's new

hard reset ssh asus RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

R

router89

Hello,

how to completely reset my router originally settings in ssh command ?

This command is good or no ?

nvram erase && reboot

Best regards.

@router89 that is not needed.

If you want the RMerlin firmware, you need to flash it and then reset to factory defaults.

It doesn't restore to the (originally) factory supplied firmware. It resets the variables and defaults of the firmware that is currently loaded. :)

@router89 that is not needed.

If you want the RMerlin firmware, you need to flash it and then reset to factory defaults.

It doesn't restore to the (originally) factory supplied firmware. It resets the variables and defaults of the firmware that is currently loaded. :)

Thank you for that answer.

"nvram erase" command in ssh is identical to ticking the box "Initialize your settings and clear all data logs for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer and Web History. " ?

I just flash Merlin and use the command "nvram erase" in ssh is it good now ?

Since the reset values wifi were changed, can you tell me if they are all correct or not to have the best performance?

Last edited by a moderator:
"nvram erase" command in ssh is identical to ticking the box "Initialize your settings and clear all data logs for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer and Web History. " ?
No. "nvram erase" is the same as not ticking the box "Initialize all the settings, and clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History."

Ticking that box also deletes the contents of /jffs which "nvram erase" does not do.

Also, 'nvram erase' and its variants can be dangerous to certain routers. Not anything I would do to a router.

Not the same as a full reset either, from what I remember reading. The WPS method is better, and safer, by far.

Sorry, I don't read French (with regards to your attached image in your post above).

Also, 'nvram erase' and its variants can be dangerous to certain routers. Not anything I would do to a router.

Not the same as a full reset either, from what I remember reading. The WPS method is better, and safer, by far.

Sorry, I don't read French (with regards to your attached image in your post above).

thanks for these tips.

Can you directly flash the Merlin firmware with the "Firmware Restoration" utility or do you have to flash the original firmware from Asus first ?

For the image, I just want to know if the options are to activate or deactivate for the best performance...

With stock or RMerlin firmware, you can just flash the firmware you want via the GUI.

For the image, still doesn't help me to give you recommended settings. :)

See if the M&M Config guide in the link in my signature below helps there. :)

With stock or RMerlin firmware, you can just flash the firmware you want via the GUI.

For the image, still doesn't help me to give you recommended settings. :)

See if the M&M Config guide in the link in my signature below helps there. :)

thanks for the different links.

during a next new merlin firmware, is it recommended to update merlin and redo a WPS reset? with each new firmware ?

If a full reset/'Initialize all settings...' is specifically needed, it will be noted in the changelog.

Otherwise, you can do a 'dirty' flash to the latest RMerlin firmware and if you don't have issues, you're golden! :)

If a full reset/'Initialize all settings...' is specifically needed, it will be noted in the changelog.

Otherwise, you can do a 'dirty' flash to the latest RMerlin firmware and if you don't have issues, you're golden! :)

Thank you for your reply.

Last point, for the reset, WPS methode it's identical ticking the box "Initialize all the settings, and clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History." or no ?

thanks again for all this advice !

In my experience, no. Even if it's supposed to be. Many here have seen the best results after doing a GUI/Initialize reset and a WPS reset too. :)

Not to mention flashing the same version of the firmware more than once has helped many too. :)

If a router really needs a 'Nuclear Reset' (last-ditch effort to see if the issues are hardware related), then I would do all options in the order below, after you have flashed the firmware you want to use (usually, RMerlin's latest Release, Alpha or Beta builds).
  1. Press the reset button on the back of the router while turning on the router and keep holding until it reboots.
  2. Use this direct link to skip the setup wizard and then flash the same firmware again.
  3. Perform the WPS reset method.
  4. Use this direct link to skip the setup wizard and then flash the same firmware again.
  5. Perform a GUI reset to factory defaults along with checking the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox.
  6. Use this direct link to skip the setup wizard and then flash the same firmware again.
  7. Check the box to 'Format the JFFS on next reboot', hit 'Apply' at the bottom of the page and then reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes, waiting 5 to 10 minutes between reboots.
  8. Flash the same firmware one last time.
Now, you can continue with the M&M Config/Nuclear Reset guides and test at each stage that the router is in a good/known state.

If after doing the above the router still doesn't respond as it should (at least at suggested defaults), this is then implying a hardware issue and it may be time for a new router.

The good news is that after doing the above many routers are stable, reliable and continue to work for many more years afterward, and usually don't require this level of 'reset' again.

HTH. :)

what is the method precisely because i can't find the right one.
I think it's no different than the procedure used for the other model routers.

What is the method precisely because i can't find the right one.

Thanks.

what is the method precisely because i can't find the right one.
I provided a link in post #2.
How do I do a factory default reset?
Multiple ways to do so, which will depend on your particular situation.

If your router fails to boot due to corrupted/invalid nvram settings, then you will have to turn off the router, press the WPS button (on Asus routers), then turn on the router. Wait about 10 seconds, then release the WPS button.