What's new

Help building network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Debug

Occasional Visitor
I bought a GT-ax 11000 and I want to know what would be a good router to use for the mesh. I have 2,700 ft², two stories and I have a mix of AX and AC machines, Philips hue, ecobee, rachio, etc.

Was also looking at the RT AX89X, but was told to stick with Tri-Band. I would have a hard time running a wire for the backhaul so I chose the AX-11000.

I am currently running a Linksys WRT 1900 AC and it has worked pretty good but I'm upgrading to gigabit and I want to support AX clients.

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated.

I bought a GT-ax 11000 and I want to know what would be a good router to use for the mesh. I have 2,700 ft², two stories and I have a mix of AX and AC machines, Philips hue, ecobee, rachio, etc.

Was also looking at the RT AX89X, but was told to stick with Tri-Band. I would have a hard time running a wire for the backhaul so I chose the AX-11000.

I am currently running a Linksys WRT 1900 AC and it has worked pretty good but I'm upgrading to gigabit and I want to support AX clients.

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated.
I forgot to mention I bought two AX3000s before I purchase the AX-11000, so would those work as the mesh nodes?

I forgot to mention I bought two AX3000s before I purchase the AX-11000, so would those work as the mesh nodes?

Try the AX11000 as router.

If you need more WiFi coverage, add an AX3000 as node.

AiMesh has dedicated the tri-band to the wireless backhaul, even if using a wired backhaul. And, your dual-band node may not be able to use the tri-band as a dedicated wireless backhaul. So, your tri-band may go unused. You'll find out soon enough.

OE

Try the AX11000 as router.

If you need more WiFi coverage, add an AX3000 as node.

AiMesh has dedicated the tri-band to the wireless backhaul, even if using a wired backhaul. And, your dual-band node may not be able to use the tri-band as a dedicated wireless backhaul. So, your tri-band may go unused. You'll find out soon enough.

OE

So does the dual band node waste the 5Ghz on the backhaul? Or can the backhaul use the 5Ghz and connected clients can as well?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the reply!

It may be seen as 'wasted' on a Tri-Band router (used as the backup/primary backhaul). On a two-band router, both are available but ultimate throughput may be impacted.

It may be seen as 'wasted' on a Tri-Band router (used as the backup/primary backhaul). On a two-band router, both are available but ultimate throughput may be impacted.

So for best performance, stick to tri-band nodes as well? Something like the AX92U?

That depends on the network environment. I have no experience with the 'AX92U but don't think they're worth the money from the comments I've read.

Use what you have and only consider buying more hardware if the limits are really too low in actual use. Add a single node as suggested above and place it for maximum throughput and coverage. If you need to add another node, make sure you are limiting the WiFi signal for maximum performance and least interference.

So does the dual band node waste the 5Ghz on the backhaul? Or can the backhaul use the 5Ghz and connected clients can as well?

No, what I see using that configuration is the dual-band nodes use the 5Ghz high band for backhaul and clients leaving the 5Ghz low band for clients on the Tri-band main.
Using the converse configuration the dual-band main will use the 5Ghz high band for clients and for tri-band backhaul connections leaving the 5GHz low band on the nodes for clients.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!