What's new

How to connect Vodafone 4G Router to Asus AC68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nazgulled

Regular Contributor
Unfortunately there's no optical fiber provider in my street (I live in Portugal by the way) and my only choice for the time being is 4G (or ADSL, but that sucks and it's not an option). Vodafone told me they are expanding their fiber coverage and I'm hopeful that soon I'll have that, but for now my only option is 4G.

I'm thinking of getting the AC68U and connect a Huawei K5150 4G LTE USB Stick to the router. This works, as someone already told me he had this setup fully working. However, a USB stick does not provide the best connectivity one can have with 4G. A 4G router like the R216z provides a more stable connectivity with lower pings (so they say).

However, I have no idea how can I connect the R216z to the AC68U and have the Asus manage all the network connections. The USB stick is easy, the Asus just supports it. What about the 4G router?

P.S: Please note that the 2 devices above are the only ones I can get with the available 4G plans I have at my disposable.

Last edited:
Funny, I'm about to do the same at my parents house at Algarve lol.
It's the 1st time I hear that the pen method gives worst pings and speeds. Are you sure of that? I would only be comfortable with the router solution if it had DMZ support. That way I would just redirect everything to the RT-AC68 imho

Ahahah, we're exactly on the same boat then :)

Well, I'm not sure of that as I haven't tested either method. It's just what people say (over at ZWAME, you know that forum?). Hopefully, they are wrong because like you, I want the Asus router to manage everything, I just need something else to act as a modem. And the 4G router might be a problem for that...

Not sure if it has DMZ support, it would be nice if it had. However, just to be clear as I'm not an expert... If it supported DMZ, would that be similar to the USB stick connected to the Asus router working as modem?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!