What's new

IPTV + VOIP issue using 380.65_4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

baluyot

New Around Here
Hi,

First time poster but long time user of merlin fw (thank you merlin for your great work!).

I recently switch ISP (Bell FTTH service) and I'm trying to replace the router they provided (HH3000) as I prefer to use my own with merlin fw. To do this I need a media converter to convert the fiber signal to ethernet and also tag all internet traffic with VLAN 35. So here's my setup and issue:

CallerA - Internet - Bell fiber - MC220L - RT-AC68U (380.65_4) - OBI202 - CallerB

- Internet works (IPTV set VLAN 35)
- VOIP calls get established between CallerA and CallerB ok
- CallerB hears CallerA but CallerA cannot hear CallerB

Now, with HH300 in the mix:

CallerA - Internet - Bell fiber - HH3000 - RT-AC68U (380.65_4) - OBI202 - CallerB

- IPTV is disabled as the HH3000 does the VLAN tagging
- Everything works ok (both Internet and VOIP)

So it seems that voice packets are not reaching CallerA from CallerB. Anyone attempting the same thing? Any experts out there that can offer some advise? @RMerlin ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Is there a way to disable "SIP ALG" on the latest firmware? Disabling "SIP Passthrough" does not work as the router prevents any SIP session from getting through.

Is there a way to disable "SIP ALG" on the latest firmware? Disabling "SIP Passthrough" does not work as the router prevents any SIP session from getting through.

Unlike stock firmware, my firmware will disable ALG without actively blocking the port.

Unlike stock firmware, my firmware will disable ALG without actively blocking the port.

I'm seeing a strange behavior then. I would assume to disable ALG I would set SIP Passthrough to disable right? When I do this my ATA is unable to register at all. I even upgraded to your latest 380.66 fw and still same behavior. Any thoughts?

I'm seeing a strange behavior then. I would assume to disable ALG I would set SIP Passthrough to disable right? When I do this my ATA is unable to register at all. I even upgraded to your latest 380.66 fw and still same behavior. Any thoughts?

No. Set Passthrough to enable - that will allow the traffic through but without enabling the ALG.

I recently switch ISP (Bell FTTH service) and I'm trying to replace the router they provided (HH3000) as I prefer to use my own with merlin fw.

Why?

Bell's stuff generally works - esp. since you're a triple play - e.g. dial-tone, tv, and broadband...

If you need better WiFi - an AC68U makes for a fine access point.

Don't introduce complexity when you don't need to...

Bell's stuff generally works

Bell's provided hardware generally sucks. They often use a cut-down version of the firmware removing important features (such as bridge mode support), it's rarely up-to-date, and some of their devices (like the 2Wire products they used to provide a few years ago) is so unreliable, even their tech support recommended to at least two of my customers to use their own routers instead, and put the 2wire into DMZ+ mode...