What's new

Is impossible to connect to SMB Share on AiMesh Node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elrengo

Regular Contributor
Hi!
I've in my home two Asus Wireless Router: RT-AC3100 as primary router and RT-AC66U_B1 as AiMesh node. They are connected via cable. LAN port on AC3100 to WAN port on AC66U_B1. I've a laying under the floor that connects them. It's better connection than Wireless and works great.

AC-3100 is using an Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware but AC66U_B1 is using an Asus stock firmware. I found that recommendation on Merlin website. Both devices are with firmware updated: AC3100 (384.17) & AC66U_B1 (3.0.0.4.385_20433-g3f7796b).

I can connect with both devices through SSH with the same user and password seted on primery router (AC3100).

I Attached a USB3 HDD on USB3 port of the AiMesh node (AC66U_B1). The media is share through DLNA in all my network. Is possible to see videos in that HDD in my SmartTV (Samsung) and Media Center (WDTVLIVE).

But when I require connect to SMB Shares through Windows is not possible to connect. Requires always user and password. When I use the same user to login to admin website, SSH & Samba in AC3100 and SSH in AC66I_B1. I try from Windows 10 and other laptop with Windows XP on Windows 10 is installed SMB/CIFs Client 1.0.

Can help me to connect and have read & write in the resource connected in my AiMesh node.
Thanks in advance!

elrengo

I would remove the USB drive, then flash RMerlin 384.17_0 on the RT-AC66U_B1 and do a full reset/Initialize all settings and then re-associate the router as an AiMesh node from your main router.

Then, test again. :)

While the guidance says you dont have use Mesh on the nodes, because most of the changes don't benefit Nodes, the more important requirement is to make sure all devices are running, as close as possible, the same underlying code base.

Asus looks to be goes though a new development cycle, so there is much newer code base that's not been merged yet. As L&LD said, just stick with Merlin on all. Its just easier.

I've been using an external drive on my nodes all along - often with a mix of stock ASUS and Merlin on the nodes and parent.
Regardless of the router's login/password, the only way I could mount the node's partitions in Windows is to use the old default - admin/admin.

My only issue is I can't create new files or directories in the partition's root. But I can in existing sub-directories. So I just create whatever directories I need in root prior to attaching the USB drive to the node.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers. In these case it prefer to use the merlin firmware intead of asus stock.

admin/admin does not works for me.

Hi! I removed the Attached HDD. After that I remove the device as AiMesh node. Flash with Asus ddwrtMerlin firmare, the last. After that configure again as AiMesh Node. I have access with SSH with my user and password. I can view the media in the network using DLNA. But when I connect with Samba is no possible to access to the resource. I use the user and Admin/Admin. I can connect.
Please any option?

I'm reading the samba conf. I found Admin user to login but is not possible to login with that user. :mad:
Code:
elrengo@RT-AC66U_B1-DAB8:/jffs/scripts# ps -w | grep smb
  786 elrengo   5748 S    /usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
  787 elrengo   5796 S    /usr/sbin/nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
11936 elrengo   1428 S    grep smb
Code:
elrengo@RT-AC66U_B1-DAB8:/jffs/scripts# cat /etc/smb.conf
[global]
netbios name = RT-AC66U_B1-DAB
server string = RT-AC66U_B1
workgroup = WORKGROUP
username level = 20
unix charset = UTF8
display charset = UTF8
load printers = no
printing = bsd
printcap name = /dev/null
log file = /var/log/samba.log
log level = 0
max log size = 5
security = USER
guest ok = no
map to guest = Bad User
encrypt passwords = yes
pam password change = no
null passwords = yes
force directory mode = 0777
force create mode = 0777
max connections = 5
socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
obey pam restrictions = no
use spnego = yes
client use spnego = no
disable spoolss = yes
host msdfs = no
strict allocate = no
wide links = no
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = lo br0 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0
use sendfile = yes
map archive = no
map hidden = no
map read only = no
map system = no
store dos attributes = no
dos filemode = yes
oplocks = yes
level2 oplocks = yes
kernel oplocks = no
enable core files = no
deadtime = 30
load printers = no
printable = no
max protocol = SMB2
smb encrypt = disabled
min receivefile size = 16384
passdb backend = smbpasswd
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
[Musica (at Series_Animadas)]
comment = Series_Animadas's Musica in TOSHIBA External USB 3.0
path = /tmp/mnt/Series_Animadas/Musica
dos filetimes = yes
fake directory create times = yes
valid users = admin
invalid users = admin
read list =
write list =
[Series Animadas (at Series_Animadas)]
comment = Series_Animadas's Series Animadas in TOSHIBA External USB 3.0
path = /tmp/mnt/Series_Animadas/Series Animadas
dos filetimes = yes
valid users = admin
invalid users = admin
read list =
write list =
[Cursos (at Series)]
comment = Series's Cursos in TOSHIBA External USB 3.0
path = /tmp/mnt/Series/Cursos
dos filetimes = yes
valid users = admin
invalid users = admin
read list =
write list =
[Series (at Series)]
comment = Series's Series in TOSHIBA External USB 3.0
path = /tmp/mnt/Series/Series
dos filetimes = yes
valid users = admin
invalid users = admin
read list =
write list =

Based on the following article: https://www.securityforrealpeople.com/2014/12/customizing-samba-on-asuswrt-wireless.html

I create a new smb.conf in /jffs/config/smb.conf then create a new smbpasswd with user from my original RT-AC3100 then in /jffs/script I copy the sambafix with modify the script locations and add the copy of smbpasswd file. After finish the conf reboot the router but does not work :mad::(

Someone have another idea how I can resolve it?
Thanks!

I found that DLNA is not working with Asusddwrt Merlin Firmware. Another test when I check the router after reboot the device with smb.conf is change with my smb file but continue with out working :S

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!