What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ColonelStrike

Occasional Visitor
Hey everyone,

I've searched and I've tried to resolve myself my problem but didn't succeeded ... I have a RT-AC-87u since 3 weeks and I've directly installed Merlin firmware on my router.

Since the beginning, I've got a few issues with it. The UPNP doesn't work (ports are not open automatically when i'm playing), I can't use Site Survey about the WiFi etc etc ...

These working only after a restart or a reset-clear nvram (after a few hours : There stops working) but the UPNP works well on Asus firmware but not on Merlin. I don't want to go back to the manufacturer firmware for the simple reason ... I prefer options and the ergonomic of Merlin.

What I've done until now :

*Clear NVRAM (ofc) ;
*Resetting-rebooting router ;
*Disable-Enable QoS (I specify I don't use it) ;
*Disable-Enable DoS protection (without changes) ;
*Disable-Enable NAT Acceleration.

Which features I use on my router ?

*DDNS (with No-IP exactly) ;
*Port forwarding (manually) ;
*IPv6 feature is ON and works well ;
*I have a HDD plugged on the USB port (rear port) ;
*I've change the device name in LAN settings ;
*Guest network is disabled ;
*QoS is disabled ;
*I've changed the DNS by the Google's DNS (IPv4 - IPv6 and Wins server)
*I specify AC-87u work on Router mode and not in Access Point or Media Bridge (Modem provider set to bridge mode).

Current firmware version : 380_68-2 (September 12th 2017)

I hope that you gonna help me and to find a solution to resolve definitely my problems with my router).

Thanks in advance from Belgium ;)

Last edited:
Do you use MAC filtering on Wifi? That will stop Site Survey functioning.

What settings do you have for UPnP on the WAN page?

Hey Jack,

No MAC filtering is disabled since I have it. I've never used it.

Here are a few screenshots :
1505331590-screenshot-1.png

1505331590-screenshot-2.png
1505331590-screenshot-3.png

Thanks for your help :)

Can you post a copy of System Log from around the time they stop working?

Also what temperatures is your router showing?

By reset-clear nvram you mean you've done a Factory Reset correct?

Hey,

So here are the temps :
1505332950-screenshot-4.png

(I've just restarted my router now)

As you can see, the UPNP works well when I do a restart
1505332950-screenshot-5.png

After a few times, it will not longer work.

And here are the logs from my router :

https://pastebin.com/ma08rCX0.

EDIT : When I do a Clear NVRAM, I shut down my router by Power button and I turn it back on with the WPS button pressed during 30 sec.

Have you tried rebooting the modem? Does your ISP support IPv6? If not I would try disabling it.

I guess well 'cause when I'm doing a IPv6 test, all are fine.

Here's a screenshot with the test (IPv6 settings are set in NATIVE mode on the router) :
1505333610-screenshot-6.png

Note : I've just done a restart 10 min ago.
EDIT : Do you seen something wrong on the Pastebin or not ? Thanks

I guess well 'cause when I'm doing a IPv6 test, all are fine.

Here's a screenshot with the test (IPv6 settings are set in NATIVE mode on the router) :
1505333610-screenshot-6.png

Note : I've just done a restart 10 min ago.
EDIT : Do you seen something wrong on the Pastebin or not ? Thanks
Restarted the router or the modem? I saw a failure of it obtaining a public IP address, which I'm not sure if it's an error or not. A restart of the modem can't hurt though.

I've done a restart on my Router 10 min ago and I've also done a restart on my modem last night. (about 15 hours ago).

So I've retried to see if my router open ports yet and effectively that doesn't work now.

Here's a screenshot :
1505334384-screenshot-7.png

Here are the latest logs : https://pastebin.com/PGncUkXm.

I gonna try to test with IPv6 mode disable on my router to see if that's the problem or not.

You have a device badly misbehaving on the network......Alienware17.....with a Dell adapter. Try disconnecting it.

If your game console is an XBox, it has problems with UPNP and it's sleep mode. I'm not an expert on that, but I remember other references if you do a forum search.

EDIT: Also, sometimes it help to 'hardware reset' an 87U. Power it down, disconnect the power plug. Turn the power switch on and off a few times with the power disconnected, then reconnect the power and power up.

Hey john,

Since 10 days, I'm using a 5 ports-Switch Ethernet from TP-Link, the TL-SG105 exactly (who'is directly connected on my router). My Alienware and my desktop are connected to this switch. Do you think the problem can be caused by the switch ? I also gonna try a Hardware reset.

What I've done until now :

*Clear NVRAM (ofc) ;
*Resetting-rebooting router ;
*Disable-Enable QoS (I specify I don't use it) ;
*Disable-Enable DoS protection (without changes) ;
*Disable-Enable NAT Acceleration.
In the past I had some similar issues with my AC87U which where not reproducible. [/QUOTE]

The correct RESET after a firmware update is the following:
  • factory reset AFTER the firmware update
  • turn router OFF
  • turn ON and do an absolute minimal config and then a 2nd factory reset/turn off cycle
Now the router should work as it should!

To debug your issues, you should do an absolute minimal config (feature after feature) and test - only if things work well then continue config other features - or report your issues.

Hey joe,

I don't undestand when you're saying "
  • "turn ON and do an absolute minimal config and then a 2nd factory reset/turn off cycle"

Can you explain ? Thanks a lot

EDIT : I've tried with IPv6 OFF but it doesn't change ... :(

Hey john,

Since 10 days, I'm using a 5 ports-Switch Ethernet from TP-Link, the TL-SG105 exactly (who'is directly connected on my router). My Alienware and my desktop are connected to this switch. Do you think the problem can be caused by the switch ? I also gonna try a Hardware reset.
It look like the SG105 is just a basic gigabit switch which are usually transparent to the router. But, if it's a relative new introduction to the network, it may be worthwhile to try and disconnect it as part of debugging. It looks like something is 'flooding' the network (I see tcp bucket table overflows and the Alienware box stuck in a mode where it's it's looping issuing DHCPSOLICIT's - pages of them),

So I'm here and ...

I've a interesting thing ... I've done a clear nvram and I've done also hardware reset and the tips from Joegreat. I have my router w/o customs settings, w/o changes and I've got only 1 time my NAT open. It still moderate and the router doesn't open the port. I also specify that I've removed my ethernet switch.

Here are the logs : https://pastebin.com/7qhc5HuC

Note : @RMerlin, if you are here & if you heard me please help me :(

Last edited: