What's new

LAN/WAN/WIFI Static IP Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WellLetsSee

New Around Here
I really hope this all makes sense and someone can help me out with this problem. I may well have answered it myself but not sure.

I have a wireless internet service, the company employ a Ubiquiti 5Ghz Powerbeam dish which heads in the direction of the ISP's mast. They have provided me a static IP, lets say 31.111.111.111.

The IP address of my powerbeam is 10.111.111.111

That then connects to my TP-LINK Wifi router (AC750). The trouble is I have no access to the powerbeam system setup. I connect the powerbeam to a LAN (not WAN) port on the router and disable the DHCP, so allowing the powerbeam to control DHCP. Now I can't port forward so the static IP address they provide me is useless? Am I missing the obvious here?

Thanks
Yan

Why aren't you connecting the Powerbeam to the router WAN port?

I have tried that but then need to rely on the DHCP from the AC750. It still wont allow access to the network via static IP WAN address.

I have tried that but then need to rely on the DHCP from the AC750. It still wont allow access to the network via static IP WAN address.
I don't understand your ISP setup then. 31.111.111.111 is a public IP address. If you have your LAN directly attached to it, then everything on your LAN is sitting directly exposed to the internet.

So the answer to your question is, no, you are not missing something obvious. You need your ISP to explain why you can't attach a router to their connection.

I don't understand your ISP setup then. 31.111.111.111 is a public IP address. If you have your LAN directly attached to it, then everything on your LAN is sitting directly exposed to the internet.

So the answer to your question is, no, you are not missing something obvious. You need your ISP to explain why you can't attach a router to their connection.

Thanks, I don't have LAN directly too it, I have another network range

The way I see it is that the powerbeam is providing a DHCP address to the router and then the router is providing DHCP to the wired and wireless devices connected to it. They sit in different subnet ranges.

I wa thinking there was some kind of routing issue and I can't see how I can port forward to devices that sit behind the router. Surely I need access to the setup options of the powerbeam to somehow arrange the DHCP there?

Sorry if I'm over complicating this :)

What is your WAN ip address?

The way I see it is that the powerbeam is providing a DHCP address to the router and then the router is providing DHCP to the wired and wireless devices connected to it. They sit in different subnet ranges.
That's the way it should work. But you said you connect the Powerbeam to the router LAN side and disable the router DHCP.

If your ISP gives you only one public IP address, that can't work.

OK, so maybe easier to give some specifics (gently edited).

Static IP given by the ISP is : 31.220.8x.xxx

When connected the router WAN port the details are:

IP: 192.168.10.159
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.10.1

When asking the ISP (non English speaking, this is internet at a holiday home) they tell me the settings for the router are:

IP 31.220.8x.xxx
Mask 255.255.255.128
Gateway 31.220.8x.xxx (not the same as IP)

The paperwork I have when the service was supplied shows the powerbeam to:

DHCP Range: 192.168.10.100 - 192.168.10.199
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.10.1

Port forwarding in the router is set correctly but it will not forward to cameras or TV system.

Does that help?

Last edited:
OK This make sense now. The powerbeam is providing your routing, firewall, dhcp, dns, nat, etc., etc. and you are using the tp-link as a simple switch and access point.
That then connects to my TP-LINK Wifi router (AC750). The trouble is I have no access to the powerbeam system setup. I connect the powerbeam to a LAN (not WAN) port on the router and disable the DHCP, so allowing the powerbeam to control DHCP. Now I can't port forward so the static IP address they provide me is useless? Am I missing the obvious here?
So if you want to setup some port forwarding from the powerbeam's WAN address you would have to log onto its management interface. But you say "I have no access to the powerbeam system setup", if by that you mean you do not know the logon details then there is nothing you can do... apart from hope that the powerbeam has UPnP enabled.

OK This make sense now. The powerbeam is providing your routing, firewall, dhcp, dns, nat, etc., etc. and you are using the tp-link as a simple switch and access point.

Yes, correct. My poor wording :)

So if you want to setup some port forwarding from the powerbeam's WAN address you would have to log onto its management interface. But you say "I have no access to the powerbeam system setup", if by that you mean you do not know the logon details then there is nothing you can do... apart from hope that the powerbeam has UPnP enabled.

How would I go about checking if UPnP is enabled?

Thanks

How would I go about checking if UPnP is enabled?
You could use a utility like upnpc but perhaps the most practical way would be to see if the device you want to use actually supports UPnP. Such devices usually have some setting like "Use UPnP" and some way to see if it's working.

Code:
C:\Utils>upnpc -L
upnpc : miniupnpc library test client, version 1.9.
 (c) 2005-2014 Thomas Bernard.
Go to http://miniupnp.free.fr/ or http://miniupnp.tuxfamily.org/
for more information.
List of UPNP devices found on the network :
 desc: http://192.168.1.1:33754/rootDesc.xml
 st: urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:InternetGatewayDevice:1

Found valid IGD : http://192.168.1.1:33754/ctl/IPConn
Local LAN ip address : 192.168.1.238
 i protocol exPort->inAddr:inPort description remoteHost leaseTime
 0 UDP  9308->192.168.1.211:9308  '192.168.1.211:9308 to 9308 (UDP)' '' 0

EDIT: So setting up port forwarding on the tp-link won't help because it has to be done on the powerbeam.

I agree with Colin; ISP is acting as your router. Your router is acting as AP and switch.
If you want ports forwarded, you need to ask them.

Thanks all.

I have spoken to the ISP and they agree to open the ports I require opening, I would guess subject to their rules.

Am I going to need to tell the ports and the local IP that I need them forwarding to or will I be able to manage this in the router Port Forwarding?

It's a little hard since this is dealing with my holiday home ISP.

Thanks

Port forwarding is being controlled by your ISP, not your router. You need to give them the information. Your router is acting just as a switch.

In addition to what Tim said, we might have a better understanding of the problem if you tell us what ports you want forwarded and where they are going (i.e. your router, a server on your LAN, etc.).

Thanks.

So Cameras are currently in a different range to the DHCP on the Ubiquiti so I'll change their IP's to the range but for now we'll say:

Camera 1 - 192.168.1.222. Port 8083
Camera 2 - 192.168.1.224 Port 8084
Camera 3 - 192.168.1.226 Port 8085

TV Box IPTV - 192.168.1.230 Port 8080

Qnap Server - 192.168.1.100 Port 8081

I take it I need to disable the DHCP on the switch?