What's new

Matching Routers & Access Points

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

C

COBOL-Coder

Be patient if this is a simple process as I'm relatively inexperienced in this area. I recently replaced my ASUS RT-AC66W (flawless) with an ASUS RT-AC5300 which I really like outside of it's footprint. I was in the process of selling off my AC66W when I started reading about Access points. I discovered (too late) that I couldn't pair my 2 routers into an AiMesh configuration so I thought this might work. I would appreciate any understanding on the matter and thank you in advance.

So what is your question exactly? :confused: Are you asking how to use your old RT-AC66W as an access point connected to the RT-AC5300?

So what is your question exactly? :confused: Are you asking how to use your old RT-AC66W as an access point connected to the RT-AC5300?

Well, a two part question, 1st being can I connect these two routers using my older AC66W as an Access Point and can that be done wirelessly or do I have to connect with an ethernet cable. From what I was able to gather, there was a reason that my AC66W will not work in an AiMesh configuration. If that is possible, perhaps you can point me to a place where I can read and learn about how to set that up? I've never used more then one router in my newer environment which had lathe & Plaster walls with anything but line of sight, lots of angular turns. If I could place the smaller router about midway I could really improve the performance on the devices further away from the AC5300. Thanks again.

No the AC66W doesn't support AiMesh because it's too old and based on a MIPS processor.

You can configure the AC66W as a WiFi access point and place it somewhere else in your house. But you would need to run an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on your main router to one of the ports on the AC66W.

If you can't run an Ethernet cable then you could configure it as a WiFi repeater (if you have that option in the GUI) and position it about halfway between your main router and the distant location you're trying to reach.

Ok great, that answers my questions, thank you very much for your time.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk