What's new

Merlin 384.5

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Max142

Occasional Visitor
I am the proud new owner of the following routers in a desire to change over my older Linksys routers to somewhat newer Asus routers.
1. RT AC87R set to Access Point with Merlin 384.5 firmware......
2. RT AC87U set to access point with Merlin 384.5 Firmware
The R works flawlessly. The U has problems
>IF I can access GUI it hangs... freezes..I am sure laughs at me...
>when GUI appears and freezes then unfreezes shows a firmware upgrade available
Both have had about 20 Devices added under MAC filter not really any other tweaking.
Questions:
1. My set up is as follows. Main router in basement with wireless shut off. This router hardwired to my 2 access points above grade. All my devices have assigned IP Addresses
In the firmware under the Access Points ..The entry for default Gateway ? should this be the lan ip of the ASUS Accespoint Router or the gateway address of my main Router in Basement?
2. I have read the R & U are identical, should I bite the bullitt on my entries and do a hard reset and then upgrade the firmware to what I have seen is 387.....In Oct 2018 issue. I could not tell if that latest release was for this model or not.
I have kept my network up & going for 8 yrs I was looking forward to this upgrade and choose the hardware and firmware after much research but this old ..self taught fellow is frustrated at spinning his wheels. Any help would be appreciated even if just a point in right direction.
The R works great up n running. I am holding off my purchase of a third to replace main router till this sorted out. Thank You

1. The default gateway will be the IP address of your router in the basement.

2. When you first installed Merlin's firmware on the Asus' did you immediately follow that with a factory default reset and manual setup (i.e. not reloading from a previous backup)?

Yes, the RT-AC87U and RT-AC87R are the same. The current Merlin release is 384.7_2.

Yeah, just try to reset/initialize everything to defaults, including power cycle with WPS button pressed :)

I wonder why people wouldn't usually want to do that, it obviously take them less time to debug on their own than waiting for response.

1. RT AC87R set to Access Point with Merlin 384.5 firmware......
2. RT AC87U set to access point with Merlin 384.5 Firmware
There's a couple of pretty disruptive bugs when running in other than router mode that are fixed in the 384.8 Beta's. Unfortunately, there isn't a beta build yet for the AC87.

If you like, I can do a build with those fixes on the AC87 for you on top of the previous 384.7_2

There's a couple of pretty disruptive bugs when running in other than router mode that are fixed in the 384.8 Beta's. Unfortunately, there isn't a beta build yet for the AC87.

If you like, I can do a build with those fixes on the AC87 for you on top of the previous 384.7_2

John.. that would be greatly appreciated as these will live as ap's for the next several years.....dave

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!