What's new

Multiple access points in the home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kevinqian

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I have several routers that I am converting into access points to boost signal coverage in my house. I have the necessary ethernet runs to each AP location. My question is do I set up each AP with the same SSID as the main router but with different channels or do I set up each AP with same SSID and channel number? I want seamless roaming among AP from wlan clients while moving around the house, similar to campus wide and enterprise hotspot networks.

Thanks!

For "seamless" roaming, set to same SSID, but alternate channels among 1, 6 and 11.

Please note that the "seamlessness" of your roaming depends on how sticky (or aggressive) your clients are. You may find that they stay associated with weak APs more than you like.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I can always change the roaming aggressiveness setting in device driver settings.

Hi, I have several routers that I am converting into access points to boost signal coverage in my house. I have the necessary ethernet runs to each AP location. My question is do I set up each AP with the same SSID as the main router but with different channels or do I set up each AP with same SSID and channel number? I want seamless roaming among AP from wlan clients while moving around the house, similar to campus wide and enterprise hotspot networks.

Thanks!

You should grab the freeware inSSIDer location on this site: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider So you can see how well your RSSI really is?

Would WDS, wireless distribution system, be easier to deploy in a similar situation had a direct cable link to each AP not exist?

I also want this. What is this called? Bridge? Access Points?

Want I want is:

Internet ---(ethernet)----> WNDR3700 emiting wireless signal ----(ethernet)---> 2nd router with same wireless name of WNDR3700

For a few days that I'm reading about bridges and access points and i absolutly can't tell the diference between them.

Will this double NAT? I mean: to have open ports should I open them on both routers? What about UPnP (for Windows Live Messenger)?

I also want this. What is this called? Bridge? Access Points?

Want I want is:

Internet ---(ethernet)----> WNDR3700 emiting wireless signal ----(ethernet)---> 2nd router with same wireless name of WNDR3700

For a few days that I'm reading about bridges and access points and i absolutly can't tell the diference between them.

Will this double NAT? I mean: to have open ports should I open them on both routers? What about UPnP (for Windows Live Messenger)?

You don't want two WiFi routers in the same LAN subnet.

An Access Point accepts request from WiFi clients to receive service, i.e., to access the wired network.
To improve coverage, add Access Points (APs). Your common WiFi router is really a router and an AP in one box.

A bridge does not do AP functions. It copies or duplicates data frames from one media (WiFi) to another media (Ethernet). A bridge usually does not transmit a WiFi beacon as most APs do.

Some high-end bridges have a concurrent AP function. Uncommon in home routers.

The DD-WRT firmware, installed on a compatible router, allows you to choose all these modes and roles.

A client bridge is normally used extend an ethernet LAN from place A to place B via a point to point wireless link. For example, between buildings. The far end bridge can have an AP function, in some products, so that the client PCs out on the end can connect via ethernet or WiFi.

A bridge converts ethernet to WiFi and vice versa. It does not route. It (usually) does not do the AP functions.

To add confusion: Any consumer WiFi router can be configured to be an AP. Merely don't use the WAN port, disable the DHCP server.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!