What's new

My country censors the internet; Does a VPN client work well on dual wan setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

neemasa

New Around Here
Hi

My knowledge of networking is limited. I apologize if my questions sound immature.
About four months ago, I bought an RT-AX88U, and I love this router. It's easy to set up and works reliably.

I live in Iran, and the internet censorship is horrible here. Because of that, we use VPN. I have set up an OpenVPN Client connection that connects to the PrivateInternetAccess service.

It works well, but when multiple people use the network, my online experience gets uncomfortable. So, I want to order a second internet service and use Load Balancing to overcome my bandwidth issue.

Question:
1. Does a VPN Client setup work well with a load-balanced internet? I want to set up dual wan connections with a 1:1 ratio.
2. Due to internet censorship, is it wise to run a VPN client on a dual-wan setup?
3. I occasionally stream 4K content from YouTube. Does a dual wan setup reduce buffering?

BTW, my second internet service will be the same TD-LTE connection from the same ISP.

Info
Device RT-AX88U
Firmware ASUSWRT (Up-to-date)
Connection 40Mb TD-LTE WAN

Hi

My knowledge of networking is limited. I apologize if my questions sound immature.
About four months ago, I bought an RT-AX88U, and I love this router. It's easy to set up and works reliably.

I live in Iran, and the internet censorship is horrible here. Because of that, we use VPN. I have set up an OpenVPN Client connection that connects to the PrivateInternetAccess service.

It works well, but when multiple people use the network, my online experience gets uncomfortable. So, I want to order a second internet service and use Load Balancing to overcome my bandwidth issue.

Question:
1. Does a VPN Client setup work well with a load-balanced internet? I want to set up dual wan connections with a 1:1 ratio.
2. Due to internet censorship, is it wise to run a VPN client on a dual-wan setup?
3. I occasionally stream 4K content from YouTube. Does a dual wan setup reduce buffering?

BTW, my second internet service will be the same TD-LTE connection from the same ISP.

Info
Device RT-AX88U
Firmware ASUSWRT (Up-to-date)
Connection 40Mb TD-LTE WAN
The best option is probably to run your VPN client on a VPN appliance with a much more robust processor that supports AES-NI. If you are not willing or technically capable of setting this up on a mini PC by yourself look at some of the commercial options such as the ones from Sabai Technology. Using a VPN appliance you should be able to run several streams using a VPN and the only constraint will be the bandwidth from your ISP.

I suggest using Cloudflare DNS servers 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2 in your router it might help with the vpn. Do not use your providers DNS they are censoring you. If your provider only see you hitting those DNS they can't see the traffic requested and will limit censorship. Please reply if that helped your vpn connection.

Does a VPN Client setup work well with a load-balanced internet?

Dual WAN on Asus routers doesn't work properly to begin with. This is why this script exists.

I occasionally stream 4K content from YouTube. Does a dual wan setup reduce buffering?

This stream alone takes 1/2 of your Internet connection. LTE modems speed and latency may vary depending on cell tower load.

The best option is probably to run your VPN client on a VPN appliance with a much more robust processor that supports AES-NI. If you are not willing or technically capable of setting this up on a mini PC by yourself look at some of the commercial options such as the ones from Sabai Technology. Using a VPN appliance you should be able to run several streams using a VPN and the only constraint will be the bandwidth from your ISP.
Thank you. I didn't know such thing exist. Do you think a Raspberry Pi 4 would do this job? I prefer it as it's cheaper.

I suggest using Cloudflare DNS servers 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2 in your router it might help with the vpn. Do not use your providers DNS they are censoring you. If your provider only see you hitting those DNS they can't see the traffic requested and will limit censorship. Please reply if that helped your vpn connection.
Thanks for the DNS help but they have also blocked some DNS providers and changing them doesn't overcome the censorship. It helps loading certain sites faster but doesn't do any help for the filtering issue here.

Dual WAN on Asus routers doesn't work properly to begin with. This is why this script exists.

This stream alone takes 1/2 of your Internet connection. LTE modems speed and latency may vary depending on cell tower load.
Thanks. I don't have Merlin firmware installed. I'm thinking of installing it as it supports the Wiregaurd VPN. Regarding the Script, I guess it should be easy to set it up.

I'm thinking of installing it as it supports the Wiregaurd VPN.

You have 40Mbps ISP line. Your router can do 200Mbps on OpenVPN. Why do you need Wireguard? Don't waste your time with single VPN connection idea and 2x ISP in load balancing. This thing won't work. Explore faster ISP options and preferably not LTE. Two LTE modems connected to the same cell tower will suffer the same speed and latency degradation. Your country doesn't censor Internet seriously enough. Otherwise you won't be able to use VPN at all. Make sure the use of VPN is legal in your country and stay out of trouble. Your ISP knows exactly where do you connect and for how long.

Last edited:
Thank you. I didn't know such thing exist. Do you think a Raspberry Pi 4 would do this job? I prefer it as it's cheaper.
I am not familiar with what processor they use in a Pi 4 but whatever processor you purchase it needs to support AES and Intel processors and perhaps some others support AES-NI.

Guys, what fast VPN hardware for 40Mbps ISP? AC68U from 2013 can do that on OpenVPN. :rolleyes:

Guys, what fast VPN hardware for 40Mbps ISP? AC68U from 2013 can do that on OpenVPN. :rolleyes:
The OP wants to do multiple streams using a VPN. To do this it seems it would a good option to take the load off the router's CPU and move the VPN to another device and ideally a device that could handle the VPN at near line speed.

The OP wants to do multiple streams using a VPN.

The OP is limited to 40Mbps ISP speed. What multiple streams? It can handle 1x UHD stream and some left for other use. He has 200Mbps OpenVPN capable router already. What another device will change the fact the ISP is up to 40Mbps? He just needs better ISP.

Internet connectivity in Iran has become dramatic. In an Asus RT-AX86U with 386.7_2 firmware, neither TCP nor UDP will work in OpenVPN.
I'm talking about port 443. There are very, very few servers to use.
Example: only one of all NordVPN servers is connected, and for security reasons I cannot publish which one here. (since it will also be blocked soon)

My request to you SNBForums:
Could someone please write a guide or post a YouTube video on how to install V2Ray client in an Asus router?
The only working way in a Xiaomi OpenWrt router is V2Ray and with it can get rid of this damn internet filter of the regime.

Internet connectivity in Iran has become dramatic. In an Asus RT-AX86U with 386.7_2 firmware, neither TCP nor UDP will work in OpenVPN.
I'm talking about port 443. There are very, very few servers to use.
Example: only one of all NordVPN servers is connected, and for security reasons I cannot publish which one here. (since it will also be blocked soon)

My request to you SNBForums:
Could someone please write a guide or post a YouTube video on how to install V2Ray client in an Asus router?
The only working way in a Xiaomi OpenWrt router is V2Ray and with it can get rid of this damn internet filter of the regime.

I think op can get over the censorship though (at least enough of it), his problem is using multiple devices - at least that is his main problem right now -
I think also this is a cat and mouse game, waiting a few weeks may just resolve some issues - however op’s issue was when miltiple devices get used then the internet slows - and as discussed i think this is partially a router cpu issue?