What's new

Need coverage downstairs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unclebobuk

New Around Here
Hi,
I'm looking to provide better coverage in my back yard as the wireless signal seems to peter out a few metres outside the back door. My current setup is an Asus-N66U router in the upstairs front bedroom. This gives good coverage upstairs and in most of the downstairs interior. I also have a pair ZXyel PLA 5205 HomePlugs one end of which is plugged into the Asus and the other into an unmanaged gigabit switch to allow me to stream media from devices in the same location as the asus (such as my synology) to my TV, media player and Sonos. I was considering the purchase of the new Asus RT-68 and then using the N66 as a wireless extender but this seems like a costly route given i probably don't have that many devices that could use ''ac'' technology.

So I am looking for something which may work well for me speed wise and allow me to extend my network downstairs and outside either by an additional wireless device in extender mode or by plugging something in via the ZXyel.

Any advice on what to buy appreciated.

thanks.

Bob.

An access point or a router in access point mode plugged in to another homeplug to connect back to the main router located on the bottom floor at the opposite end of the house. If a 2nd router, disable DHCP and plug them in to the LAN ports of each other (or if it is close to the switch, just plug the new router/access point in to the switch), set the same SSID and the same wifi password.

What router/access point you want to use is up to you.

Hi,
I'm looking to provide better coverage in my back yard as the wireless signal seems to peter out a few metres outside the back door. My current setup is an Asus-N66U router in the upstairs front bedroom. This gives good coverage upstairs and in most of the downstairs interior. I also have a pair ZXyel PLA 5205 HomePlugs one end of which is plugged into the Asus and the other into an unmanaged gigabit switch to allow me to stream media from devices in the same location as the asus (such as my synology) to my TV, media player and Sonos. I was considering the purchase of the new Asus RT-68 and then using the N66 as a wireless extender but this seems like a costly route given i probably don't have that many devices that could use ''ac'' technology.

So I am looking for something which may work well for me speed wise and allow me to extend my network downstairs and outside either by an additional wireless device in extender mode or by plugging something in via the ZXyel.

Any advice on what to buy appreciated.

thanks.

Bob.

What firmware are you using? Try going to ASUS website and download latest firmware. Be sure to reset to defaults and reconfigure from scratch after the firmware update.

How big is your house? I've got 3 levels and 3800 square feet and get complete coverage inside and 20-50 foot radius outside. I guess you could try relocating the router if possible.

Last edited:
I'm in a 2600 square foot 2 story house and get great coverage in and around my property. I walk around and still stay connected a block away from my house. Just get a cheap repeater and that should do the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in a 2600 square foot 2 story house and get great coverage in and around my property. I walk around and still stay connected a block away from my house. Just get a cheap repeater and that should do the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
repeater = WDS = lower speeds. But for the modest needs of a handheld, that's fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!