What's new

Netflix only routing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sahilg009

Occasional Visitor
SO i have merlin installed with selective routing for a vpn that works for netflix
I need to get the correct ip ranges for netflix for routing to work
can anyone help me get those ip ranges

SO i have merlin installed with selective routing for a vpn that works for netflix
I need to get the correct ip ranges for netflix for routing to work
can anyone help me get those ip ranges
Can you clarify what you are trying to accomplish? The way I understand from your post, it appears you have a VPN provider that works with NF. So why the need to get the IP ranges for NF? Sorry, I just want to help if I can. Do you want to use policy rules? e.g. only certain devices use VPN and others use native WAN?

I want the vpn to only route traffic for netflix via it and leave everything else
Thanks for clarifying. There are several ways to accomplish what you want to do, depending on your requirements.

1. On one router I support for a family member, they want all traffic to go thru the WAN, except for the media streaming device, which needs to use the VPN. For this use case, it is rather simple. I use Policy Rules in the VPN GUI page, I enter the IP address of the device that need to use the VPN as follows:

source IP 192.168.1.51 Destination IP 0.0.0.0 lface VPN

2. There are two methods I have seen people use If you have a lot of clients such as iPads, laptops and phones, that you want to only use the VPN when connected to Netflix and use native WAN for other traffic:

First option is to use entries like the following for the Netflix IP addresses in the WAN Gui page
0.0.0.0 107.20.177.0/24 VPN
0.0.0.0 107.20.154.0/24 VPN
0.0.0.0 174.129.2.0/24 VPN..

The potential problem I see is maintaining and keeping the IP addresses up to date.

The second option is described in the Selective Routing with ASUSWRT Merlin thread.

@Martineau describes a method for Hulu that will work with Netflix if you change the Hulu references to Netflix:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/selective-routing-with-asuswrt-merlin.9311/page-28#post-318141

Hopefully you are comfortable with basic Linux and SSH scripting to use this method.

Please let us know how it goes.

I was able to get hulu working with updated domain names
nslookup www.hulu.com
nslookup hulu.com
nslookup releasegeo.hulu.com no longer works it is now vortex.hulu.com

I will try doing the same with Netflix later today

I was able to get hulu working with updated domain names
nslookup www.hulu.com
nslookup hulu.com
nslookup releasegeo.hulu.com no longer works it is now vortex.hulu.com

I will try doing the same with Netflix later today
Maybe this will help as well as another check.

Netflix.com
I got these NF IP addresses from http://digwebinterface.com/?hostnames=Netflix.com&type=&ns=resolver&useresolver=8.8.4.4&nameservers=

Code:
netflix.com.        59    IN    A    52.5.89.35
netflix.com.        59    IN    A    52.45.81.31
netflix.com.        59    IN    A    52.5.104.12
netflix.com.        59    IN    A    52.45.226.110
netflix.com.        59    IN    A    52.54.71.157
netflix.com.        59    IN    A    52.54.76.119
netflix.com.        59    IN    A    52.5.79.73
netflix.com.        59    IN    A    52.54.254.24

www.netflix.com
http://digwebinterface.com/?hostnam...&ns=resolver&useresolver=8.8.4.4&nameservers=
Code:
www.netflix.com.    1724    IN    CNAME    www.geo.netflix.com.
www.geo.netflix.com.    1570    IN    CNAME    www.us-west-2.prodaa.netflix.com.
www.us-west-2.prodaa.netflix.com. 46 IN    A    52.42.246.49
www.us-west-2.prodaa.netflix.com. 46 IN    A    52.42.235.31
www.us-west-2.prodaa.netflix.com. 46 IN    A    52.43.10.174
www.us-west-2.prodaa.netflix.com. 46 IN    A    52.42.68.185
www.us-west-2.prodaa.netflix.com. 46 IN    A    52.42.250.151
www.us-west-2.prodaa.netflix.com. 46 IN    A    52.42.228.237
www.us-west-2.prodaa.netflix.com. 46 IN    A    52.43.110.107
www.us-west-2.prodaa.netflix.com. 46 IN    A    52.43.211.100

vortex.netflix.com
http://digwebinterface.com/?hostnam...&ns=resolver&useresolver=8.8.4.4&nameservers=
Code:
netflix.com.        899    IN    SOA    ns-81.awsdns-10.com. awsdns-hostmaster.amazon.com. 1 7200 900 1209600 1800

Thanks for the fast reply
i am facing a error with hulu it says to turn off unblocking service with routing however if i connect to vpn without routing it works perfect any help

EDIT:
Thanks for help but that ip range does not work with netflix

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast reply
i am facing a error with hulu it says to turn off unblocking service with routing however if i connect to vpn without routing it works perfect any help
Like NF, Hulu also blocks VPNs. That is what may be going on. But it looks like it is working if you don't use routing. What is the error message you get? Some VPNs may be able to get around NF blocks but not Hulu.

My provider is able to get around both NF and Hulu blocks if you subscribe to their Private IP service for an additional fee.

@Martineau is the go to expert in this area. Hopefully he will see this and help out if needed.

It is not a problem with vpn but with routing
the vpn provider is able to bypass hulu when used without routing it is just when i use it with routing it says please turn off unblocker on hulu

It is not a problem with vpn but with routing
the vpn provider is able to bypass hulu when used without routing it is just when i use it with routing it says please turn off unblocker on hulu
Hmm, sounds like a symptom of a DNS leak when using routing. Go to ipleak.net to see. In your VPN Custom Configuration area, try to enter the ip address of your providers DNS servers as follows:

dhcp-option DNS xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (DNS IP address of your provider)
dhcp-option DNS xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (DNS IP address of your provider)

Above this, set these fields as follows:
Redirect Internet Traffic: Policy Rules (strict)
Accept DNS Configuration: Strict

I have to do this on the router I have configured that uses Policy Rules to get it to work right and prevent routing issues.

Thanks for help still the same error
You're welcome. Sorry I can't help any further. Hopefully, @Martineau will have time to help you out as this is one of his areas of expertise.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!