What's new

Netgear Orbi (Wi-Fi 6) 753 or 852?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

onedollarinmywallet

Occasional Visitor
*EDIT * Typo in the subject title: I wrote 852 when it should have been 842. Didn't realize Netgear has two different 800 series Orbi; an 842 and an 852.

I'm looking to switch to a higher performing mesh system (currently running two ASUS RT-AC68U's in a wired mesh setup) and was looking at the Netgear Orbi Wi-Fi 6 units.

There are apparently two versions:

RBK-753S (AX4200), 3 pack
https://www.costco.com/netgear-orbi...dvanced-cyber-security.product.100533367.html

RBK-842 (AX6000), 2 pack
https://www.costco.com/netgear-orbi-whole-home-tri-band-mesh-wifi-system,-2-pack.product.100524152.html

Netgear's specs doesn't go into details whether if it does have OFDMA although I believe the AX6000 has but I can't find any information if the AX4200 has OFDMA.

Is the price difference $50 between the 842 (AX6000, 2 pack) and 753S (AX4200, 3 pack) worth getting the AX6000 but with one less satellite/node?

I'm running Verizon FiOS (Gigabit) and typically have about 45-50 devices on my network, in a 4,000+ sq. ft. home, so range and performance is my criteria here.

Thanks,
David

Last edited:
*EDIT * Typo in the subject title: I wrote 852 when it should have been 842. Didn't realize Netgear has two different 800 series Orbi; an 842 and an 852.

I'm looking to switch to a higher performing mesh system (currently running two ASUS RT-AC68U's in a wired mesh setup) and was looking at the Netgear Orbi Wi-Fi 6 units.

There are apparently two versions:

RBK-753S (AX4200), 3 pack
https://www.costco.com/netgear-orbi...dvanced-cyber-security.product.100533367.html

RBK-842 (AX6000), 2 pack
https://www.costco.com/netgear-orbi-whole-home-tri-band-mesh-wifi-system,-2-pack.product.100524152.html

Netgear's specs doesn't go into details whether if it does have OFDMA although I believe the AX6000 has but I can't find any information if the AX4200 has OFDMA.

Is the price difference $50 between the 842 (AX6000, 2 pack) and 753S (AX4200, 3 pack) worth getting the AX6000 but with one less satellite/node?

I'm running Verizon FiOS (Gigabit) and typically have about 45-50 devices on my network, in a 4,000+ sq. ft. home, so range and performance is my criteria here.

Thanks,
David

I’ve used a couple of different AX Orbi systems. RBK752 & RBK852 in about 3000 sq ft. I found that a router and one satellite was about the limit in decent coverage for that sq. footage. In your situation I think a router and two satellites would be a better solution with that size and number of clients. I believe they both have download OFDMA only but you may want to check.

That being said I’m currently using a Asus XT8 2 pack and it covers my house no issues and full speed everywhere. The Orbis do work well I just found their lack of customizable settings really frustrating.
All of the AX mesh systems seem to still be a work in progress.

If you’re getting them at Costco get the 852 and see if that works, if not, return it and get the 752 3 pack.

the 850s have 8 antennas and a 2.2 GHz processor. The 750s have 6 antennas and 1.4 GHz cpu.

both have implicit & explicit beamforming for 2.4GHz & 5GHz bands, dedicated 5GHz backhaul, and MU-MIMO

I have 3 teen sons who game and stream 4k while I work from home and I went with the 753 from Costco in a 3700 sq ft house with a node on each floor (basement, main, upstairs) and I have zero regrets. Max wifi performance from every device I've tested in every room of the house even while those yahoos were using it (i.e. not a quiet test).

Maybe this helps? Appears to be a Netgear FAQ page. OFDMA is supposed to be a feature of the Wifi6 standard, so theoretically all Wifi6 products should have this. On the side, it indicates this applies to Orbi.

On a side note, what region are you located? I can get the 753 but the page you linked for the 842 comes back as a product page not found.

FWIW, I'm considering this and also the Amplifi Alien, along with other more complex solutions.

The reviews I've read on the 743 at Costco and elsewhere seem like it's a pretty stellar system. The biggest gripe I can see is software, and lack of advanced features. I see that a bit odd. I've not used the system, but from what I've read the positives is great coverage, awesome speeds & easy/fast installation. As such, I don't expect to have lots of options to tinker & customize. On the flip side, paying that kind of money, I think users would appreciate an option to go easy or advanced so both crowds could be happy.

Capture.PNG