[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.20308 for All Supported Products

visortgw

Very Senior Member
Silly question, is it ok to run both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz on the same SSID?
I am doing that now on multiple networks without any problems.

maxbraketorque

Very Senior Member

It is possible to do it, and many people do it, but its not always the best way to set up a home wifi network. Devices that come and go from the network (phones, laptops, etc) will mostly end up on the 2.4 GHz band because that's what will come into range first. IMHO, its better to set up separate SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, and then use the network preferences on your computer to preferentially connect to the 5 GHz network. Unfortunately, Android does not allow setting preferred wifi networks, so I just exclude the 2.4 GHz network from my phones.

Ken Atkinson

Regular Contributor
For Smart Connect to work surely both id's need to be the same. I've not switched smart connect on yet was waiting until i'm happy mesh is stable before throwing something else into the mix.

RandomName23

Regular Contributor
It is possible to do it, and many people do it, but its not always the best way to set up a home wifi network. Devices that come and go from the network (phones, laptops, etc) will mostly end up on the 2.4 GHz band because that's what will come into range first. IMHO, its better to set up separate SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, and then use the network preferences on your computer to preferentially connect to the 5 GHz network. Unfortunately, Android does not allow setting preferred wifi networks, so I just exclude the 2.4 GHz network from my phones.

It is absolutely okay to use the same SSID for both bands, in fact some mesh systems like Orbi won't even let you specify a different SSID. Aimesh does let you, one of the reasons I much prefer it over other systems. If you're router supports Smart Connect I recommend giving it a try. I've been using it with the default settings and have not once ended up on the 2.4 Ghz band in my home for devices that support 5 Ghz. With my old router that didn't support Smart Connect I would frequently end up on the 2.4 band even when I was in range to receive a 5 Ghz signal and my speeds were crap so I did what others indicated and setup separate SSIDs so I could force my devices to the band I wanted. So in the end I think it depends on your needs and capabilities of your router.

maxbraketorque

Very Senior Member
It is absolutely okay to use the same SSID for both bands, in fact some mesh systems like Orbi won't even let you specify a different SSID. Aimesh does let you, one of the reasons I much prefer it over other systems. If you're router supports Smart Connect I recommend giving it a try. I've been using it with the default settings and have not once ended up on the 2.4 Ghz band in my home for devices that support 5 Ghz. With my old router that didn't support Smart Connect I would frequently end up on the 2.4 band even when I was in range to receive a 5 Ghz signal and my speeds were crap so I did what others indicated and setup separate SSIDs so I could force my devices to the band I wanted. So in the end I think it depends on your needs and capabilities of your router.

I think your last sentence captures the key points. With my dual router setup, there is no place in my home or yard where 2.4 GHz provides faster wireless speeds than 5 GHz (2.4 GHz RSSI can be and often is better but not speed), so I only use 2.4 GHz now for my wireless cameras.

Adam

New Around Here
Is anyone getting weird issues, where it looks like the stronger AP just dropped you (almost as if its radio is going through a reboot) and you are in dead air for a minute or so? My cell phone data usage went way up, since these drops kept happening.
My 3 x RT-AC68U got almost unusable, and I had to reboot the main router and the nodes after a couple of days of use. I'm not sure if that might have been due to extensive use of IPTV or what, but it was running into issues with the DHCP server (My android phone telling me that the network was full). Even after a total wipe/factory restore it was doing that. Finally, I've plugged in a different router, and changed the whole AUS setup to AP AiMesh. Now it's finally stable.
This was on the same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz, and pretty much on default setup.

Volfi

Regular Contributor

Depends.. :) Around my appartment are 20+ active networks on 2.4GHz, but only two on 5GHz (108 and 161 channels). Having seperate SSIDs means I can "force" my devices to stay on 5GHz (channel 36, 80MHz width), and only few legacy ones are given passwords for 2.4GHz band.

This gives me better network stability.

Ken Atkinson

Regular Contributor
My GUI showing firmware update available for AC88U running 384_20308 , not in a position to update at the moment , product webpages not updated for new version yet either.... wonder whats fixed/added ?

Flying Dutchman

Regular Contributor
Most likely KRACK vulnerabilities are solved.

In another thread I read that the servers are being synchronized at the moment, so new firmware will become available within 24 hours.

Last edited:

Ken Atkinson

Regular Contributor
Most likely KRACK vulnerabilities are solved.

In another thread I read that the servers are being synchronized at the moment, so new firmware will become available within 24 hours.

Cool thanks , can't update for a day or so anyway, but think will switch on smart connect when i update as mesh seems pretty stable

mlippold

Regular Contributor
Is there anyone experiencing issue while trying to reach AiMesh fireware downloading page? Each time I clicked the firmware downloading link, e.g. https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/
it always be redirected to
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/
no matter what kind of browsers I was using. This started to happen after I upgraded my two AC68U routers to AiMesh.

Looks like you left off the /us in that URL.

Try this:
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

RandomName23

Regular Contributor
Has anyone been able to get email notifications to work from the Aiprotection section? I have hits in the 2 way intrusion detection but never receive any emails.

Junkbot

New Around Here
Just wanted to post on this thread as it is most current:

Is it possible to disable 2.4Ghz?

2.4Ghz is way too congested in my area, and I want to be courteous to my neighbors and use 5Ghz only. When I set up AiMesh, I can turn off 2.4Ghz antenna on the ROUTER (the 2.4Ghz LED on the ROUTER turns off), but the 2.4Ghz light does not turn off on the NODE. I can also connect to the 2.4GHz SSID on my phone.

Currently, the main can't disabled wifi in Node.

I guess this is a similar problem where you cannot configure some things in the node directly.

RandomName23

Regular Contributor
Is there a way to reboot the aimesh nodes from any UI, either web or iOS? Also, does anyone else have this problem where when they reboot only the main aimesh router they get slow speeds on the aimesh node until the aimesh node has been rebooted at which point full speeds are reestablished?

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
My ASUSWRT RT-AX86U_388.22068 + RT-AC86U_386.48260 AiMesh
cable ISP ~300/10Mbps
router covers 3x1650sf
node at 77ft covers detached 1750sf
wired backhaul, MoCA 2.5/1GbE
wireless backhauls disabled, 2.4acx3/5.0acx4, -66/-74dBm RSSI, 216/877Mbps
Smart Connect disabled, 2.4/5.0 same SSIDs OE/OE or different SSIDs OE-24/OE, plus OE Guest/OE Guest
WiFi6/ax enabled*, 2.4 fixed/5.0 1,3-fixed
Roaming Assistant disabled
CloudFlare encrypted DNS with security filtering*
AiProtection Pro enabled*

AiMesh extends coverage, improves roaming, centralizes admin, maintains backhauls and backup router, and can be incrementally built/upgraded. No account/app/subscription/fee required.

Install Notes
* Security-related
o AiMesh = best spec router/AP/root node + nodes
Mixing models, topologies, backhauls is permitted
AP Mode root node is wired to non-AiMesh LAN
o ASUSWRT fw: AX86U/S, AC86U, EOL
Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear data)
Rescue Mode
Router KB
o Confirm ISP cable shield is grounded to Earth at demarc*
o Use a UPS to protect data/hardware*
o Use a WiFi analyzer to monitor WiFi

o Power OFF router, modem, wait (cycle power)
o Wire router WAN to modem, router LAN to PC
o Power ON router, wait
Monitor LEDs; Power LED flashes 3 times when ready
o Hold Reset button until Power LED flashing, wait
o Power ON modem
o Browse to router LAN IP (default IP 192.168.50.1) or URL router.ASUS.com to login to webUI
o Perform Quick Internet Setup (QIS) to check/upload fw, wait
See new fw link to review release notes
o Browse to router.asus.com/ajax_coretmp.asp to confirm CPU temp <86C (85% Tj max)
o Perform Restore+Initialize, wait
o Power OFF router/open WiFi*, modem

o Repeat for node
o Disconnect node WAN, LAN; place in range of router 5.0 WLAN

o Wire router WAN to modem, router LAN to PC
o Power ON router, wait; then modem
o Perform QIS and minimal configuration
- disable Smart Connect; set same SSIDs (client band steers) or different SSIDs (user band steers/segregates clients)
Or enable SC (not for AC1900/AC68/AC66); set same SSIDs (client+router band steers)
- set 2.4/5.0 WLANs ssids (Aa-Zz 0-9 space,.'&()_-); Hide SSID No; Wireless Mode Auto, enable 802.11ax/WiFi6 mode*
- enable WiFi Agile Multiband, Target Wake Time
- set Authentication Method to WPA2/WPA3-Personal, same WPA Key (Aa-Zz 0-9), Protected Management Frames to Capable*
Beware compatibility
- set max Channel Bandwidth, Control Channel

2.4GHz Unlicensed Spectrum.png

2.4 fixed: 20MHz bw; ch 1-11 (1,6,11)

5GHz Unlicensed Spectrum.png

See US-FCC Rules
5.0 1,2a-fixed: 160MHz bw; ch 36-48,52-64 (omit DFS/2a)
5.0 2c-fixed: 160MHz bw; ch 100-128 (omit DFS/2c)
5.0 3,4-fixed: 160MHz bw; ch 149-161,165-177 (omit 4)
5.0 1,2a,2c,3-unfixed: 20/40/80/160MHz bw; ch Auto, exclude DFS/2a,2c (36-48,52-64,100-144,149-165)
5.0 1,3-fixed: 80MHz bw, disable 160MHz; ch 36-48,149-161
5.0 1,3-unfixed: 20/40/80MHz bw, disable 160MHz; ch Auto, exclude DFS/2a,2c (36-48,52-64,100-144,149-165)
Wireless Log lists noise, DFS status, client/node connection details
Start with U-NII bands 1,2a-fixed; if all clients/nodes support bands 2a,2c, include respective DFS control channels, and 2c-fixed. If RADAR/DFS prohibits bands 2a,2c, switch to 1,3-fixed (no DFS; max Tx power; no LTE noise on ch 36-48).
Set fixed control channel with least noise <-84dBm and best connections. If WiFi interference persists, switch to -unfixed settings to let router vary max bw/ch to coexist
Clients connect with their best mode, bandwidth, authentication permitted

6GHz Unlicensed Spectrum.png

6.0 WLANs require WiFi6e (more radio spectrum; no DFS; less range)

- disable WPS*
- disable Roaming Assistant (client node steers)
Or enable RA (router node steers); deploy node; increment 2.4 RSSI threshold until stationary 2.4 clients boot to near node
802.11k,v is supported
- confirm 2.4/5.0 Airtime Fairness disabled (compatibility)
- disable 2.4/5.0 Universal Beamforming (proprietary)
- set router LAN static IP (192.168.1.1), DHCP server IP Pool of dynamic and manually-assigned/reserved IPs (192.168.1.10-254 leaves static IPs .1-9 for client use)
- disable unused WAN UPnP, QoS GeForce NOW QoS UPnP control*
- set WAN DNS Server1,2, DNS-over-TLS (DoT), Strict, DoT Server1,2
(1.1.1.2 1.0.0.2 security.cloudflare-dns.com)*; other DNSPs
Disable DoT for Wyze IoT setup
- confirm Dual WAN\Primary WAN set to 1G WAN (2.5G LAN/WAN defaults to 2.5G LAN5 after QIS)
Or set Primary WAN to 2.5G WAN; wire 2.5G LAN/WAN to modem (default WAN becomes LAN5 after reboot)
- disable SIP Passthrough (SIP ALG)
- confirm both firewalls enabled*
- confirm Login Captcha enabled*
- set USB Mode to USB 2.0 (shield 2.4 WLANs from USB 3.x EMI)
- set Time Zone, DST (3, 2nd Sun; 11, 1st Sun; 5th = last)
- confirm Telnet, SSH, Web Access from WAN disabled*
- confirm Auto Firmware Upgrade disabled*
o Power OFF-pause-ON router, wait
o Browse to Shields UP! to confirm port security*

o Power ON node, wait
o Confirm all WLANs are broadcasting/stable
- if all nodes are wired backhaul, enable Ethernet Backhaul Mode to disable all wireless backhauls (all WiFi for client use only; no failover)
- if wireless backhaul only, confirm WPS enabled before and disabled after adding node*
- search/add reset node, wait
- confirm node Backhaul Connection Priority WAN only, or Auto

- set 2.4/5.0 guest1 WLANs ssids (use guest2 WLANs instead for standalone router), WPA2-Personal, same WPA Key, Access intranet disabled*, all nodes
Guest1 IPs will be .101,2.x (not reserveable; VLANs 501,2)
Guest2,3 WLANs are on root node only
AP Mode guest WLANs are NOT isolated from intranet*
- enable AiProtection*
Administration\Privacy\Withdraw disables all Trend Micro features
- disable unused USB\media servers, Network Place Share on all nodes
SMB 2.0 is supported

o Deploy nodes high, in the clear, in range of router 5.0 WLAN; not too near ~40ft/far ~80ft/many; not one-over-the-other
Do not co-locate with other 2.4/5/6GHz EMI; disable unused WiFi Direct APs in printers, etc.
o Tilt \ | / antennas (2-3 dBi gain) for multi-level; straighten | | | for level
pattern.jpg

coverage.jpg

o Adjust wireless backhaul distance/path for 5.0 connection RSSI >-66dBm
o Ideally, wire backhaul from router LAN to node WAN/multi-gigabit LAN/WAN; other scenarios
Beware managed switch settings
o Vary node location/orientation to adjust 5.0 signal coverage/overlap to affect roaming/node steering (a small change can matter)
o Adjust Smart Connect rules to affect band steering

o Reboot AiMesh\System, wait; then client to affect change/clear conditions before troubleshooting
o Confirm integrity of cables/connectors (RG-59/Cat5e min); respect coax/fiber/UTP min bend radius; wire stationary clients
o Upgrade client adapter OEM driver
o Configure WLAN client adapter properties to affect band steering; forget connections to clear conditions and only make connection needed
o Avoid app/voice admin*
o Use new network before adding to it, one change at a time; take notes

FW Upgrade
o Save settings to .cfg file for recovery (unique to fw)
o Download fw to wired PC
Run WinMD5 to verify ASUSWRT file MD5 checksum value
Review release notes
o Eject/disconnect USB storage (free RAM; secure data)*
o Reboot AiMesh\System, wait
o Upload fw to nodes, wait; then root node, wait

FW Reinstall
o Remove nodes from AiMesh to Reset, wait
o Restore+Initialize root node to Hard Reset, wait
o Configure root node from scratch; do not Restore from .cfg file

OE

Last edited:

Quad80

Regular Contributor
I just noticed the other day that the mesh seems to be showing up as individual clients on my client list, one for each wifi band, but under the same IP address. It didn't do this before, I haven't updated to the new firmware that was just updated, and I didn't change any settings. It didn't do this when I first set up the mesh, but for some reason it just started doing it. Is anyone else seeing this? Screenshots are attached, one from desktop, one from app, since both are showing this behavior.

Attachments

• app.png
    app.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,500
  • desktop.png
    desktop.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,858

RandomName23

Regular Contributor
I now have two RT-AC68Us configured for AiMesh with WiFi backhaul. They are about 95' apart on one level spanning 3 interior walls/kitchen and 2 exterior brick walls. This is to upgrade an RT-AC68U and RT-N66U in extender/repeater mode. The old setup worked but the roaming, multiple SSIDs, and management were not very elegant. Plus I need to push the RT-N66U over the hills and through the woods to Grandma's house.
o Set DNS servers (OpenDNS 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220)

Just curious why the decision to use OpenDNS vs the built in trend micro? I have been using software at the client level but have been thinking about doing it at the router level.

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Just curious why the decision to use OpenDNS vs the built in trend micro? I have been using software at the client level but have been thinking about doing it at the router level.

My use of OpenDNS precedes my use of ASUS routers. I did not realize there was a Trend Micro option... but even so, I like to spread the love around. OpenDNS is reputable and it's not Google.

I only mentioned OpenDNS here to provide context... it's currently in my router and in my notes!

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!