What's new

Please help me with my QoS :(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pendelhaven

New Around Here
Hi guys, i need help with my QoS setting. Currently on 3.0.0.4.354.27 (Merlin build). Something weird is going on with my QoS and I cannot figure out why. I have a 150down/75up line and I can get my advertised speed with QoS disabled.

But when I enable my QoS, my QoS settings for the download segment seems stuck at 90Mpbs. My upload however, will go according to my QoS settings.

d38neOm.png

yXGfqrM.png

8bzweD9.png

FtaPRhV.png

Sorry for posting so many images, but I dont really know how to put it into words. I have restored to factory default settings and it still doesnt work. Does it matter that my previous link speed was 100/50 before it got upgraded to 150/75 ?

Enabling QoS will also disable HW acceleration (the two aren't compatible together). It's possible that 150 Mbits might be asking a lot out of the router if HW acceleration is disabled.

You didn't specify which router model you had, but in the case of an RT-N16, 100 Mbits is about the max it can handle with HW acceleration disabled. Probably closer to 150-200 Mbits on an RT-N66U or RT-AC66U.

If I remember correctly on the 270.26 it was the possibility to set the bandwidth for each single service .
I think that enabling QOS the download is capped to 89 no matter what you do, probably to overcame this you will need a panel where you can set the min/max bandwidth for each service.
:)

Enabling QoS will also disable HW acceleration (the two aren't compatible together). It's possible that 150 Mbits might be asking a lot out of the router if HW acceleration is disabled.

You didn't specify which router model you had, but in the case of an RT-N16, 100 Mbits is about the max it can handle with HW acceleration disabled. Probably closer to 150-200 Mbits on an RT-N66U or RT-AC66U.

Sorry, its the RT-N66U. But the question is, why is the download not adhering to the QoS numbers? When I tried to limit to 25/25, the actual download bandwidth was still stuck at 90Mbit. The upload however, changes with the QoS settings.

Last edited:
Sorry, its the RT-N66U. But the question is, why is the download not adhering to the QoS numbers? When I tried to limit to 25/25, the actual download bandwidth was still stuck at 90Mbit. The upload however, changes with the QoS settings.

Download is difficult to accurately control because you have no direct control over it: it's your ISP who decides what to feed you and at what speed. You can have a limited amount of control by throttling the rate at which you acknowledge packets, but if's not 100% accurate, and some types of traffic cannot be controlled that way (UDP streaming, for example).

Also, QoS really kicks in when the connection is bandwidth-starved. If nothing is competing for bandwidth, the router will use the full bandwidth available. If however you have a higher priority transfer happening, then the low priority transfer will be limited to within the established rates.

Bottom line: QoS and traffic shaping are not necessarily the same thing.

Download is difficult to accurately control because you have no direct control over it: it's your ISP who decides what to feed you and at what speed. You can have a limited amount of control by throttling the rate at which you acknowledge packets, but if's not 100% accurate, and some types of traffic cannot be controlled that way (UDP streaming, for example).

Also, QoS really kicks in when the connection is bandwidth-starved. If nothing is competing for bandwidth, the router will use the full bandwidth available. If however you have a higher priority transfer happening, then the low priority transfer will be limited to within the established rates.

Bottom line: QoS and traffic shaping are not necessarily the same thing.

Thanks for the insight. That's the exact reason why im testing my new line with no one else sapping my bandwidth. I was curious why my N66U could hit the 150Mbits mark with QoS off consistently, but not with QoS on.

Anyway I just turned off HW acceleration and QoS. Still im able to hit 156/73 Mbits with no problems. Im starting to think my N66U is a lemon :(

Anyway I just turned off HW acceleration and QoS. Still im able to hit 156/73 Mbits with no problems. Im starting to think my N66U is a lemon :(

If it were, then you would have the same issue with QOS disabled.

Just out of curiosity, try using a different test service, such as Speedtest.net, in case it was something in how they test your connection that would have some unexpected interaction with the QOS system.

If it were, then you would have the same issue with QOS disabled.

Just out of curiosity, try using a different test service, such as Speedtest.net, in case it was something in how they test your connection that would have some unexpected interaction with the QOS system.

I have decided to disable QoS and enable HW acceleration until it comes to a point where I need QoS ( torrent downloading + p2p football streams + gaming simultaneously).

My hunch is that even though HW Acceleration is supposed to be turned off automatically when QoS is enabled, it somehow doesnt work that way. Manually turning off HW Accelerationa, reboot, then turn on QoS yields a much higher throughput (at least for me).

This is naked Speed Test (QoS and HW ACC off)
2VneNqW.png

This is Speed Test (QoS on, HW ACC off)
T0ZuwlR.png

9hXu7vs.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!