What's new

AXE16000 with AX11000 Pro wireless mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sauron

Occasional Visitor
Hello folks, longtime lurker first post. Recently i had two AC88U's in wireless mesh and merlin firmware setup for 4 years with 1.2g comcast ISP, worked flawlessly until...one day...the node failed. I decided to replace both with a AXE16000 (got it for 450usd) as Primary, and a AX11000 pro as the wireless node which i got at 250usd used. So far so good outside the 11000 was suddenly connecting at 2.4ghz on the backhaul rather than using the preferred 5ghz band. I reset and reconfigured and havent had any additional issues. I usually get around 1200-1400 mbs between the router backhaul and clients connected to the node via 2.5 gig & ethernet speed test is 800-1gig speeds. My question is the AXE16000 is still in the return period--would i be better off with another AX11000 pro to take advantage of the 5.9 band on the backhaul to squeeze out another 200mbs on my client? Trying to midmax this setup. Included the pricing on the routers i paid as that likely will influence the reponses/recommendations. And unfortunately, i cant get wired backhaul to the location. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
If you're able to return the two radio/two band router, and buy the two radio, three band router for $200 less, yes. Do it.

Just be prepared to fully test the new combination before you're married to it.

If you're able to return the two radio/two band router, and buy the two radio, three band router for $200 less, yes. Do it.

Just be prepared to fully test the new combination before you're married to it.4
Not sure i can snag another ax11000pro at 250, i would be spending 350 plux tax if that changes the equation. I was blessed to get some pretty good deals on the routers i bought. Will the 5.9 UNI4 make a difference--right now i have a "great" signal with the 5G2 band on backhaul. If you dont think it will make any difference performance wise, ill probably stand pat. Another question, having a dedicated third band for backhaul---does it eliminate the halving of bandwidth i.e. repeater? Thank you! (and we do have a few actual 6E clients but thats not a deciding factor per se)

Yes, if that third band (second 5GHz band) can broadcast simultaneously as the first 5GHz band, it will make a difference (i.e. roughly double the bandwidth).

If that is your use case (wireless backhaul), then saving even just $100 and getting double the speed should be more than worth it.

Unless you can actually sell the AXE16000 for more than you paid for it, that seems like the most straightforward option right now.

Yes, if that third band (second 5GHz band) can broadcast simultaneously as the first 5GHz band, it will make a difference (i.e. roughly double the bandwidth).

If that is your use case (wireless backhaul), then saving even just $100 and getting double the speed should be more than worth it.

Unless you can actually sell the AXE16000 for more than you paid for it, that seems like the most straightforward option right now.
Thank you for your advice. Doesnt the axe16000 also have an extra 5g2 band to use dedicated for this? Or are you specifically referring to the UNI4 band that would backhaul in a dual ax11000 implementation? And really not needing the 10g ports, 2.5g is the sweet spot for me at this time and likely for a long while.

Even having that second 5GHz band, it is an older, more expensive router, that is more likely to get to EOL before the newer one. $100 doesn't buy that much, but by spending it needlessly, it adds up fast.

Even having that second 5GHz band, it is an older, more expensive router, that is more likely to get to EOL before the newer one. $100 doesn't buy that much, but by spending it needlessly, it adds up fast.
Thanks for the quick reply. So to make sure im crystal clear before i got out and start returning things :)...you are saying that yes, going with two 5.9 UNI4 connected on a wireless backhaul will potentially double bandwidth over using the axe16000 "regular" 5g2 band on the backhaul? money is always important, but for me at 100 bucks it wouldnt be worth the hassle if i wasnt going to see a marked improvement on the overall mesh bandwidth situation. Thanks again!

I can't predict what may happen in your environment.

If you're happy now, just enjoy. 🙂

Thank you. Pondering ordering another ax11k pro and test it out, worse thing that can happen is return it i guess.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!