What's new

PPTP VPN server not accessible externally

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Miguel Nunes

New Around Here
I had this VPN enabled before I updated to the latest Merlin firmware for the RT-AC66U. Before this I had an older version from last year I believe but I was forced to update and now I can't setup the VPN like before. The issue is that no one can connect to the PPTP VPN through my IP or DDNS. I can connect to it using the local IP of the router.

This is how it's configured:

Untitled.png

OpenVPN servers are disabled. Is there another setting on the router I've missed?

Make sure your ISP's modem isn't also firewalling you.

Make sure your ISP's modem isn't also firewalling you.

yep, and pptp is getting well past it's "use by" date due to security/privacy concerns...

OpenVPN is supported across most OS's, and AsusWRT supports this on a client and server basis...

yep, and pptp is getting well past it's "use by" date due to security/privacy concerns...

OpenVPN is supported across most OS's, and AsusWRT supports this on a client and server basis...

OpenVPN works well at this matter but because my TeamSpeak server is hosted at home, I can't connect using either the local IP or the WAN IP (because NAT CTF is enabled). I don't know any workaround for this. Anyone?

Also, I have tried disabling the firewall in the ISP's router and still no one is able to connect to the PPTP server.

Edit: Found the solution. Manually adding TCP 1723 to the port forwarding list. Shouldn't this be automatic once you enable the PPTP VPN server?

Last edited: