1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Recent dual-WAN experience: Asus vs. Cisco vs. Peplink

Discussion in 'Routers' started by MJB87, Jul 29, 2018.

1. MJB87

MJB87 Occasional Visitor

I recently tried out three routers for a large dual-WAN load-balancing home installation: Asus AC68U, Cisco RV340W and Peplink Balance 20. For others looking for dual-WAN routers, I thought I'd offer my lessons learned.

The Asus AC68U was what I had operated for several years. However, I never actually was able to operate it in a dual-WAN mode, so if that is an essential requirement, you might want to look elsewhere. Even if I could have gotten it to work, the load balancing options are minimal.

The Cisco RV340W ran fine and easily managed the network and dual-WAN setup. However, it is not intended for home users and the user interface is extremely weak. For example, your cannot even sort the connected devices list, nor export or import static (reserved) IP assignments by MAC address. Port forwarding is more complex that it need be and the AnyConnect VPN requires (it appears) commercial licenses which most home users will not have. Finally, the online Cisco support forums are near useless - the tech reps on the forum just tell you to call in for a service ticket so any solutions are not made available to the general public. So after a couple of weeks of usage, I terminated its use.

I am now using the Peplink Balance 20, though I may upgrade to a faster unit in that product line. It works great. The browser interface is straightforward and intuitive. Port forwarding is simple and L2TP VPN setup for my iOS devices was very easy. The load balancing options are extremely comprehensive and easy to use. While this is, technically, a commercial unit it is easy to find good online vendors. The support forum is helpful and well attended by Peplink tech experts. So my journey has ended with Peplink.

MB

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  2. WiFiNemesis

WiFiNemesis Occasional Visitor

Gar likes this.
  3. System Error Message

System Error Message Part of the Furniture

asus does work for dual WAN, but its not as great as peplink. The cisco RV is something i'd stay away from.

Peplink at the moment does multi WAN in the most user friendly way, and if you need the support they are worth the price, otherwise i'd look at other solutions if you cant afford it but are willing to spend the effort.

4. Gar

Gar Regular Contributor

This review reads like it was largely written by the companies president. Has anyone reviewed/compared the Surf SOHO router with the popular stuff we're usually talking about on this site? If the review is accurate it seems like quite a find even though this model is single WAN. My searches don't turn up much.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  5. MJB87

MJB87 Occasional Visitor

I have not used a Surf SOHO but have nothing but praise for my Balance 20 and Balance 210 routers plus the five AP One Enteprise, two AP One Flex and two AP One Mini access points from Peplink.

6. Trip

Trip Very Senior Member

Multi-WAN in the consumer space has always been a bit of a flake-show. Sure, you can futz around with third-party firmwares and maybe even find a build that works but if you're serious about using something that's designed for it, you should step up to SMB-class or entry-level enterprise stuff, and Peplink is a solid option. Somewhat low cost-to-performance, but their usability and support are second to none.

If the operator is skilled enough, several more avenues open up in the form of UBNT, Mikrotik, firewall distro's on x86 with 3 or more Intel NICs, etc. But for simple and "just works", it's hard to pick a better choice than Peplink.