What's new

Recommended method for firmware update AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wahoowad

Regular Contributor
I have not done a firmware update since buying this unit January of last year. It is running 3.0.0.4.378_9313-g53ab20f.

Is the native web interface or the Asus iOS app both equally viable ways of doing the firmware update?

I see there are numerous firmware versions listed. Should I let the web or iOS app get the "latest" or should I go select a specific download and update it by importing the file?

Our RT-AC68U was already running stock ASUS firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.4118 when we bought it. Looks like ASUS never officially released this version on their firmware site. At least I could not find it on their firmware pages and other posts here seem to support this.

We upgraded to 3.0.0.4.380.4164 because of the security improvements and bug fixes. Be aware that in version 4164 ping, traceroute and nslookup do not work on the network tools page.

We downloaded the 4164 update (without the Facebook WiFi) from –

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

and then uploaded the new firmware using the Administration>Firmware Upgrade page.

Worked perfectly and have had no issues with the 3.0.0.4.380.4164 version.

Have also done updates on our old RT-N66U using the check and get "latest" update using the web GUI with no problems. It's more a choice of which approach you're comfortable with. I just like downloading the file directly, scanning it, and then upgrading. Hope this helps!

Just curious - why did you avoid the 'without the Facebook WiFi' version if that is the most current version?

Will my unit go get the most recent (with Facebook wifi) version or is that a special release?

Well crap. I went ahead and let the Admin page to the download and update. Now I can't log back in - it says

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.
To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

Why did it change the IP address and port? Now I gotta try and figure out what that is. This doesn't make sense.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!