What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're true. I'm using notepad++ with winscp to edit black and white. So i have to be vigilant.

You're true. I'm using notepad++ with winscp to edit black and white. So i have to be vigilant.
TBH, so do I, so let's be careful and not tell anyone else ;)

Before I upload the updated functions.add (see posts above), is there anything else quick fix wise that is worth looking into?
Bugs, improvements, typos or some such things that make it worth changing the version number file on the server?
Thanks
I recently had the USB drive fail that was connected to my router. There goes AB-Solution... no problem, I just re-installed. There goes my whitelist... oh boy... big problem. Months of adding this and that to the file and documenting all the additions with ' # descriptions ' so I'd know why they were there. Gone. Well, that got me thinking. What are the chances that the whitelist could be emailed as either an attachment or in the message body of an email, as a way to back up its contents? This could even be included with the weekly 'Router Stats' email. Sure would be a great addition for version 4.0! :D
My 2 cents from a previous post. Thanks!

My 2 cents from a previous post. Thanks!
How good of you to remind me, I made a note but it slipped down to the done features.
Option to send, if found:
- blacklist.txt
- whitelist.txt
- email.cfg
- pixelserv-tls cert (for easier import in browser)
- ab-solution.cfg (if this file is found in the right place, ab-solution.sh can restore itself completely)
- ??

I'll see what I can do, the attachment function is one thing that sets my email function ways ahead of any other email script I know of on these routers.

But right now, I'm cannibalising a MOSFET from an old unused motherboard to replace one on another that would be more valuable to me if it works. Wish me luck, I had that Shuttle PC laying around for years to be fixed. Now is the time to try.
Hope it works.

I am running Skynet, any special consideration needed before installation ?

I am running Skynet, any special consideration needed before installation ?

Should work out of the box, both scripts don't interfere with each-other.

I'm having a problem getting AB-S to send an email; the test gives:
curl: (35) error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol
which could be a number of things. I've tested, with the same error, ports 25 and 587, although I can telnet directly from the router to the (postfix) server on an R Pi connected directly on ethernet. The postfix server is accepting connections on port 587 from other LAN boxen.

My LAN log server is distinctly unhelpful:
Jul 2 15:49:04 Pi postfix/smtpd[1630]: connect from unknown[192.168.x.y]
Jul 2 15:49:04 Pi postfix/smtpd[1630]: disconnect from unknown[192.168.x.y]

That "unknown" is the router.

I've tried telnetting to the router, then curl'ing and get:
curl --url smtps://192.168.x.z:587

which is the same error as AB-S reports in test.

I'm missing something...

I'm having a problem getting AB-S to send an email; the test gives:
which could be a number of things. I've tested, with the same error, ports 25 and 587, although I can telnet directly from the router to the (postfix) server on an R Pi connected directly on ethernet. The postfix server is accepting connections on port 587 from other LAN boxen.

My LAN log server is distinctly unhelpful:
Jul 2 15:49:04 Pi postfix/smtpd[1630]: connect from unknown[192.168.x.y]
Jul 2 15:49:04 Pi postfix/smtpd[1630]: disconnect from unknown[192.168.x.y]

That "unknown" is the router.

I've tried telnetting to the router, then curl'ing and get:
curl --url smtps://192.168.x.z:587

which is the same error as AB-S reports in test.

I'm missing something...
The mails are sent over a secure line on SSL, with what protocol do your other clients connect?
You could try to enable TLS on the server and then use port 465 in AB.

just setup merlin + ab-solution on my asus rt-ac87. very impressed.

just one question, not 100% sure which DNS servers i should be using? i chromecast a lot and prev had google dns but as per the faq, and have also blocked 8.8.8.8/.4.4 by setting up static routes to localhost.

i've changed WAN dns to something else (open dns and now adguard dns), but they would seem to be upstream dns to me? which would be in the same basket? am i just meant to use my isp dns? or my own dns server? whats optimal.

note: i set the router to be an openvpn client and route all traffic through my own openvpn server.

I'm going to need some beta testers for the upcoming AB-Solution 3.8.2.

The only big change is the backup capability to email.
This change seems small, but a large part of the files needed code changes for it to work the way you and I expect it to.
The backup can:
- send weekly or monthly
- send as file or as zipped dated archive
- send files and folders (folders are always zipped)
- has three types: Essential AB files, All AB files or a Custom list
- requires ps installed (I want the zip files zipped, not gzipped, zip is available on Entware)

To make sure I got it right and have no errors, typos or unexpected behaviour I'd like to run it by a few willing testers.
Leave a comment here if you are interested and tell me what router, firmware version you run.
If you have been a beta tester for AB before, you're more welcome to participate.

just setup merlin + ab-solution on my asus rt-ac87. very impressed.

just one question, not 100% sure which DNS servers i should be using? i chromecast a lot and prev had google dns but as per the faq, and have also blocked 8.8.8.8/.4.4 by setting up static routes to localhost.

i've changed WAN dns to something else (open dns and now adguard dns), but they would seem to be upstream dns to me? which would be in the same basket? am i just meant to use my isp dns? or my own dns server? whats optimal.

note: i set the router to be an openvpn client and route all traffic through my own openvpn server.
From AB's standpoint it does not matter what servers you use upstream in the WAN settings. There is no need to block Google's DNS if you set your own in WAN DNS Servers.
Just leave the DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2 fields empty in the LAN/DHCP Server tab, AB would have warned you if you set them there.
AB cannot work if you set them in the LAN as it would bypass Dnsmasq, the one service that is necessary for AB to work.

The only big change is the backup capability to email.
This change seems small, but a large part of the files needed code changes for it to work the way you and I expect it to.
The backup can:
- send weekly or monthly
- send as file or as zipped dated archive
- send files and folders (folders are always zipped)
- has three types: Essential AB files, All AB files or a Custom list
- requires ps installed (I want the zip files zipped, not gzipped, zip is available on Entware)

To make sure I got it right and have no errors, typos or unexpected behaviour I'd like to run it by a few willing testers.
Leave a comment here if you are interested and tell me what router, firmware version you run.
If you have been a beta tester for AB before, you're more welcome to participate.
As always, I am willing to assist. I have RT-AC68U, RT-AC87U, and RT-N66R, all with Merlin .67 Beta 1, e-mail configured and pixelserv running.

As always, I am willing to assist. I have RT-AC68U, RT-AC87U, and RT-N66R, all with Merlin .67 Beta 1, e-mail configured and pixelserv running.
Very good, all of them on .67 beta?

More than happy to join the group of beta testers. Haven't beta tested AB before, as I'm only recently the proud owner of an RT-AC68U WHITE, after years of running dd-wrt on a huge pile of Netgear equipment. Currently running Merlins 380.66_6, upgrading to .67 beta 2 in a few days, awaiting the first results of other users. Have been beta testing for several other platforms over the years though. Oh, and email.cfg works like a charm. It's even saying nice things to me when mailing me :rolleyes:.

I want to participate in beta testing. Netgear R7000 running XWRT-VORTEX 380.66_2.
Im a noob, how do I email.cfg?

I want to participate in beta testing. Netgear R7000 running XWRT-VORTEX 380.66_2.
Im a noob, how do I email.cfg?
A minute ago I hoped an XWRT-VORTEX owner would come forward and offer help.
Don't worry about the email.cfg, just enable rs. You'll have a working config file in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.