What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there's no way to have a dynamic quantum that's calculated based off the inputted bandwidth values?

Quantum is dynamic and adjusts depending on imputed bandwidth.

If quantum exceeds 200,000 a warning is thrown. This warning should be ignored since it is outdated.

@Error 904

The post was nice but the quantum we are setting is for the HTB queue and not fq-codel queue.

Default calculated quatums work fine for htb.

Last edited:

If quantum exceeds 200,000 a warning is thrown. This warning should be ignored since it is outdated.

@Error 904

The post was nice but the quantum we are setting is for the HTB queue and not fq-codel queue.

It's a shame that we can't get hsfc packet scheduler, to see if there is any improvement or difference.

Other users had simpler requests, where wireless traffic was not showing up in QOS for some models, and ASUS didn't even issue a fix for that. I doubt they will take a serious look at this request.

This is really unfortuante. I am sure that this issue has plagued other users as well.

The router acts as a VPN client that is connected to a VPN server outside your local network.
When your specified local device connects to the router, all its traffic is actually ran through the VPN tunnel opened on the router.
This is done transparently so the client has no knowledge of the VPN.

Can you not setup the tunnel on the client so traffic would show up correctly?

Thanks for getting back to me. I will look into setting up a vpn directly on the qnap box to only direct through this vpn. Will the QOS pickup this encrypted VPN traffic as download? Or perhaps I will have to create a QOS rule that all traffic on that IP get directed as download category.

I appreciate your help in this matter.

This might be a placebo, but I think after QOS is running for an extended period of time that QOS gets slightly (imperceptibly) slower.

Can someone who has 1week+ of QOS uptime, do a ping test, restart QOS and do another ping test?

In command prompt:
Code:
ping google.com -n 100

After the 100 samples are complete, only compare the before/after averages (dont care about max/min)

A discrepancy of 10ms+ should warrant adding a feature into the script restart QOS on either a daily or weekly basis.

--

A couple samples should suffice but by the time I am able to amass 4 samples it will take me a month.

This might be worth looking into.

If you are doing this testing, do it at off peak times so users streaming/downloading stuff on the network are not skewing the results.

You mentioned this might be a placebo and might not know unless we look into it but do u recommend rebooting the router once a week in the meantime?

No read the changes he quoted in his post.

I read the changes initially and i still dont understand where it tells you in the analyzer what category a specific program is using?

When i look in there it lists the categories but not what program is in where?

I do apologize for my lack of understanding but i certainly was not asking why a change had been made to the downloads at all.

I read the changes initially and i still dont understand where it tells you in the analyzer what category a specific program is using?

When i look in there it lists the categories but not what program is in where?

I do apologize for my lack of understanding but i certainly was not asking why a change had been made to the downloads at all.

No need, to apologize. Simply stating what you have tried means that you didn't understand the instructions as written instead of not bothering to read them. People get frustrated if previous answers are ignored, but not if they are misunderstood.

To clarify, use the new appdb feature.

for example

Code:
/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -appdb "Snapchat"
/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -appdb "Sony"

and check out its output ;)

(Note: You will currently have to limit your appdb queries to 1 word but this function will be updated to support multi word queries next update.)

Will the QOS pickup this encrypted VPN traffic as download? Or perhaps I will have to create a QOS rule that all traffic on that IP get directed as download category.

Unfortunately the encrypted traffic will not be correctly identified. It could either be picked up as the HTTPS protocol (Web) or VPN protocol (Others).
Yes creating a rule to redirect all traffic into downloads for the device will work as a band-aid blanket rule.

Quick question, was the traffic showing up in download at all?
Eg. 5mbps download, was it both listed as:
a 5mbps download in QOS
&&
a 5mbps upload in QOS

or only upload?

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the help, from what i can see star citizen is being classed under general/others, i cant find what its named as or anything but i can see after deleting my history and starting up the game it seems to use data via those i mentioned.
Others is second in my list so should not be too bad for gaming, gaming is my top of the list of categories. However i see general is classed as web surfing and this would not be ideal.

So is there any way to narrow down what it is exactly called so i can re prioritize it to gaming?

I realized where i needed to run the /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -appdb "Sony" finally, in putty, yes im that new to this side of things.

again thanks for the help.

Ok thanks for the help, from what i can see star citizen is being classed under general/others, i cant find what its named as or anything but i can see after deleting my history and starting up the game it seems to use data via those i mentioned.
Others is second in my list so should not be too bad for gaming, gaming is my top of the list of categories.

I realised where i needed to run the /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -appdb "Sony" finally, in putty, yes im that new to this side of things.

Haha, I figured it would be kinda apparent since all "/jffs/scripts/XXX" commands during the installation were ran inside putty.

Okay, that means star citizen is unidentified.

This means it will go into "Others" per script default
If you have the gaming rule it will go into "Gaming"

The install instructions both recommend "Others" && "Gaming" high up in the list.
The gaming rule is more intended for consoles so I think your current setup shouldn't be too bad.

Firstly thanks again for the help.

I have uncommented the gaming rule in the script as follows and set the ip to that device as static -

Code:
${tc} filter add dev br0 protocol all prio $1 u32 match ip dst 192.168.2.100/30 match mark 0x80000000 0x80000fff flowid ${Gaming}        #Gaming (3/3) - Routes Unidentified Traffic into "Gaming", instead of "Others", for LAN clients specified

iptables -D POSTROUTING -t mangle -o eth0 -s 192.168.2.100/30 -m mark --mark 0x40000000/0x4000ffff -j MARK --set-mark ${Gaming_mark} &> /dev/null    #Gaming (3/4) - Routes Unidentified Traffic into "Gaming", instead of "Others", from specified LAN devices in rule (line 1/2)
            iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o eth0 -s 192.168.2.100/30 -m mark --mark 0x40000000/0x4000ffff -j MARK --set-mark ${Gaming_mark}                #Gaming (4/4) - Routes Unidentified Traffic into "Gaming", instead of "Others", from specified LAN devices in rule (line 2/2)

If i wanted to add a second device do i have to add another ip to the script? or is there a range i can add it too?

Don't add it another ip to the script... u just need to give your consoles a static ip that fall between these lines:

192.168.2.100 - 192.168.2.103

You mentioned this might be a placebo and might not know unless we look into it but do u recommend rebooting the router once a week in the meantime?

You can simply restart QOS once a week instead of a full reboot.

I am still looking into this but it will take me a month to gather enough data to see if it's a placebo.

If you do get a week of uptime, please perform a before and after ping test so I will have another data point.

I am looking for the before and after QOS restart average pings.

If it's not a placebo, I will make the script restarts the QOS system on a scheduled basis.

Last edited:

@Error 904

Hang on so the 200,000 is a hard coded limit? There's not way to increase it correct?
W
Another option that would be nice would be to disable the message, along with the
HTB not working conservingly or conservatively message.

No it’s just a value that throws a warning once exceeded. That is all.

The actual/setup value adjusts linearly to the guaranteed rage you input without an upper limit.

Ahh gotcha, so what's that HTB working non conservatively or conservingly mean, is it related to the quantum error?

Ahh gotcha, so what's that HTB working non conservatively or conservingly mean, is it related to the quantum error?

No not related to quantum. Haven’t looked into it since there is nothing to change with respect to QOS class setup.

It most likely means that traffic is throttled to meet limits. Should be harmless.

Last edited:
@FreshJR when looking at the WEBUI under the QOS Statistics, you noticed you have different categories on the top:
Class / Total / Rate / Packet Rate,

Under the Rate & Packet Rate, I only see '0 bit' and '0 pps' for all the different classes, I'm supposed to being seeing numbers in here? I've seen some folks post pictures of their stats and they have #s in this section while on mine they all reflect zeros, this reflects on both download and upload section.

[QUOTEView attachment 11638
This is an example of what others have posted here but on mine, under Rate/Packet rate they all show as zeros...is this normal?

UPDATE: I hit re-apply under QOS and rebooted the router. I'm now seeing #s in this section
UPDATE 2: Ok, after a while, all #s read zero again. Maybe this is normal though, I just wasn't sure if these #s change through out the day

Last edited:
No not related to quantum. Haven’t looked into it since there is nothing to change with respect to QOS class setup.

It most likely means that traffic is throttled to meet limits. Should be harmless.
That's why the ancient kernel bugs me a lot, all these outdated error messages.

@FreshJR when looking at the WEBUI under the QOS Statistics, you noticed you have different categories on the top:
Class / Total / Rate / Packet Rate,

Under the Rate & Packet Rate, I only see '0 bit' and '0 pps' for all the different classes, I'm supposed to being seeing numbers in here? I've seen some folks post pictures of their stats and they have #s in this section while on mine they all reflect zeros, this reflects on both download and upload section.

[QUOTEView attachment 11638

UPDATE: I hit re-apply under QOS and rebooted the router. I'm now seeing #s in this section
UPDATE 2: Ok, after a while, all #s read zero again. Maybe this is normal though, I just wasn't sure if these #s change through out the day
Open a download, or YouTube video and watch the rates.

@FreshJR

Those are real time speeds of network traffic.

If you are using the internet and the real time traffic shows ZERO, that means something is broken.

If you are just viewing the stats and no one is using the internet, then you have no internet traffic actively on-going.

I have many users on my network, so there is rarely a time the real-time traffic is ZERO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!