What's new

Replacement Asus Router advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JamesK

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

A friend of mine wants to replace his broken RT-N66U router. Since buying it he's now got a couple of AC devices so his preference would be for an AC router, so I immediately thought he should get the RT-AC68U. However, prices here in the UK are still very high for the RT-AC68U. I started having a look at other routers and the prices are:
RT-AC68U - £170
RT-AC66U - £160
RT-N66U - £118
RT-AC56U - £100

It's the price of the RT-AC56U which got my attention. I'm really surprised to see that it's cheaper than even the RT-N66U. Looking at the specs it seems it shares a lot of the internals of the top-end AC68, the only difference being the internal antennas.

I think it's worth him getting the RT-AC56U as his AC laptop doesn't have a card which can make the most of the 3x3 antennas in the AC68, and he'll save quite a bit of money.

He lives in an average size 3 bedroom home, so I don't know if he'll see a drop-off in range compared to the RT-N66U.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Hi All,

A friend of mine wants to replace his broken RT-N66U router. Since buying it he's now got a couple of AC devices so his preference would be for an AC router, so I immediately thought he should get the RT-AC68U. However, prices here in the UK are still very high for the RT-AC68U. I started having a look at other routers and the prices are:
RT-AC68U - £170
RT-AC66U - £160
RT-N66U - £118
RT-AC56U - £100

It's the price of the RT-AC56U which got my attention. I'm really surprised to see that it's cheaper than even the RT-N66U. Looking at the specs it seems it shares a lot of the internals of the top-end AC68, the only difference being the internal antennas.

I think it's worth him getting the RT-AC56U as his AC laptop doesn't have a card which can make the most of the 3x3 antennas in the AC68, and he'll save quite a bit of money.

He lives in an average size 3 bedroom home, so I don't know if he'll see a drop-off in range compared to the RT-N66U.

Thoughts/suggestions?
I suggest not paying the premium price for an 'AC router unless you just want to tinker. Of course, you need 'AC client devices.

Hi All,

A friend of mine wants to replace his broken RT-N66U router.

I sense the "need for speed" here - how did it break?

Likely suspect here is the wall-wart/AC Adapter may have died or gone soft (many of them do for routers that just up and die) - the N66U seems to be a good device otherwise...

Replace the AC Adapter first perhaps...