What's new

RT-AC66U Trying to get repeater mode to work again

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Masterflash

New Around Here
This router was setup in repeater mode for a while until I had to change my wifi password. For some reason back when I put the AC66U into repeater mode I was unable to find a working default gateway to access the settings which I back then didn't care about since it was working fine. Now I just recently had to reset it to put the new wifi password in but it doesn't have internet connection. All devices that try to connect to the AC66U now when it's in repeater mode get stuck on the obtaining ip address. The ASUS device discovery tool says that this router is on a different subnet mask and to "make sure that both devices are on the same subnet". I reset it a couple times and even updated the firmware to the latest I could find on the website Version 3.0.0.4.382.50470. But it still doesn't work. As soon as I put it into repeater mode I am completely locked out of the router and can no longer access any settings or properly connect to it.

Another weird thing I found is I tried putting in the wrong password when connecting and it would still complete the setup with no problems even though the wifi password entered was completely wrong. Everything would still go through the process and the same problems would prevail.

Have you tried to perform a factory reset?

Have you tried to perform a factory reset?
I did a factory reset and reapplied it into repeater mode with all the settings and I managed to get back into the setting with a default gateway. Using the ASUS device discovery app while being on my main wifi let me access the settings. I am still unable to connect to either wifi or ethernet on the AC66U. It still just gets stuck on obtaining ip address. I tried setting it as a static ip and entered the gateway off of the device discovery and managed to connect to the router and show up in the device list. But I still have no internet access through. On the settings in the AC66U in network tools I am able to ping google so it must be connected to the internet I am just not able to get any devices working.

assuming you dont have crazy password with too many special char
if you do, I will say try change it to something simpler as some special char might cause issue.

I will also do a power cycle and clear nvram with wps method since you have recently update firmware.

power off the router for 30 sec+ hold wps button while powering on.
wait till the power led to start flashing/blinking, now release the wps button
wait till the router reboot and re-configure everything there. dont load the old configuration.

assuming you dont have crazy password with too many special char
if you do, I will say try change it to something simpler as some special char might cause issue.

I will also do a power cycle and clear nvram with wps method since you have recently update firmware.

power off the router for 30 sec+ hold wps button while powering on.
wait till the power led to start flashing/blinking, now release the wps button
wait till the router reboot and re-configure everything there. dont load the old configuration.
I cleared the nvram doing the method you wrote and manually set it back up.
Repeater mode shows 2 networks I can connect to, a 2.4g of my network and a 5g of my network.
Connecting to the 5g makes everything work fine and all devices are able to connect to the router but I have no internet access and trying to ping in network setting returns a bad address.
Connecting to the 2.4g makes the router have internet connection but all devices attempting to connect to the router are no longer able to obtain ip adresses. Using static addresses has them connect but they still wont have internet connection.

I cleared the nvram doing the method you wrote and manually set it back up.
Repeater mode shows 2 networks I can connect to, a 2.4g of my network and a 5g of my network.
Connecting to the 5g makes everything work fine and all devices are able to connect to the router but I have no internet access and trying to ping in network setting returns a bad address.
Connecting to the 2.4g makes the router have internet connection but all devices attempting to connect to the router are no longer able to obtain ip adresses. Using static addresses has them connect but they still wont have internet connection.
I gues there is no improvement :(
try what @HowIFix suggested, using John's Fork and see how well it works for you
And what is the main router that you are using? maybe do a reset on the main router as well might solve the issue?

I am also assuming you use different SSID to separate the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, with typical alphanumeric SSID and password, no space.

I will also try to put it in default router mode and just connect wan port on AC66u to the Lan port of your main router to see if it's even working properly.

haven't used repeater mode for a long time, but that's what I would check/try.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!