What's new

[RT-AC66U] Wireless speed degradation requiring reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Omega Destroyer

New Around Here
I have a couple year old AC66U.

I have most computers connected to the router via a 16 port gigabit switch and as such I rarely use wireless.
I have noticed that after some time the wireless speed degrades substantially (down to the tens of kB/s range) but a reboot fixes the issues and wireless speeds go back to normal.

In the meantime, wired speeds remain unaffected.

This has happened for some time now, and I have been on the latest versions of Merlin since I received the router. They all seem to exhibit this problem.

I've tried disabling QoS and playing around with other settings but nothing seems to fix it.

The wireless devices consist of N and AC phones and laptops. They all seem to have full to nearly full signal when the wireless gets slow. No other obvious devices are interfering with the signal and the problem is fixed immediately by a reboot of the router.

Any suggestions?

What firmware are you running, specifically? Have you performed a reset to factory defaults and setup the router again manually? Don't use a backup configuration file after a factory reset; you would essentially have negated the cleansing effect of the factory reset.

If you have many custom option setup, you could try john's utility to save you some setup time; search the forums for "nvram-save-r8.zip". This is not the same as a backup as performed by the router internally.

At the time I posted that I was on 376.48_3. I have done factory resets and manually entered things in the past, but that was a while back and it didn't seem to fix it at the time. I certainly don't do that with every firmware release.

Thank you for the link to the script. Now that it's much more effortless to resetup everything, I might factory reset more often.

I will try it again and let you know if it worked, but it will likely be a month or so before I find out because the problem is pretty intermittent.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!