1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC68U Randomly rebooting and boot looping

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by whitewidow, Jun 25, 2018.

1. whitewidow

whitewidow New Around Here

I have 2 RT-AC68U's with running Firmware Version:384.5. One is set up as Media Bridge the other is in AP Mode.

The one running in Media Bridge mode is randomly rebooting. Pinging and watching the light on the back shows that it will boot loop several times before it decides to fully boot. This just happened a few minutes ago.

Media Bridge log

AP Log

Any help would be appreciated

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. kfp

kfp Very Senior Member

I’m seeing this as well, and I’m almost certain the wireless driver is at fault here because I’ve observed these instabilities are always started with a wireless change on the main router (either changing channel, channel width etc. or when the br0 interface goes in and out of promiscuous mode).

The effect on 68U is not consistent though, on a good day it doesn’t affect it (5% of the time), sometimes it’ll trigger hotplug events (wireless interfaces removed and never enabled/attached again), resulting in a media bridge with no connectivity. Worst case scenario it’ll cause a kernel panic with stack traces pointing to the wl driver.

@whitewidow Don’t try to flash the alphas released recently. It’ll result in a boot loop. You can clear NVRAM and it’ll let you do the initial setup but as soon as you put it in media bridge mode it’ll just crash again.

Grisu likes this.
  4. whitewidow

I believe this as well. The AP lost power a few days ago and it took several boot loops of Media Bridge before everything became stable.

I might revert to RT-AC68U_380.X branch. I don't believe this was happening when I was on the older builds. Ill hold off until @RMerlin chimes in.

5. whitewidow

Has anyone looked into this?

6. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

If it is a wireless driver issue as kfp suspects then you'll have to report it to Asus as the wireless driver is closed source.

7. kfp

kfp Very Senior Member

FWIW, I loaded John’s 33E4, uptime 7+ days so far.

skeal likes this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!