What's new

RT-AC68U with Asus PCE-AC68 adapter WIFI(5G) issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EdoAsus

Regular Contributor
RT-AC68U with Asus PCE-AC68 adapter WIFI(5G) issue (solved)

Hello,

I had for a year a RT-AC66U router using always Merlin firmware without any issue and I'm very happy with it.
Today I upgraded my router with RT-AC68U model, I installed the latest Merlin firmware version (build 376.47), all seemed work fine, I can connect with WIFI(both 2.4G/5G) from my MacBook Air, iPad, and Windows Phone devices, but when I started my PC with Windows 8.1 which has a Asus PCE-AC68 WIFI adapter i'm only able to use WIFI on 2.4G network, the adapter don't even see the 5G signal anymore which I was used to connect. I try reset all with factory-default setting and the 5G signal reappears but after I end the initial setup, changing the default password of the router and changing the WIFI name and settings with password protection the 5G signal will disappear soon after, so I can only use 2.4G network. I decided to revert the firmware with the latest original from Asus (version 3.0.0.4.376.1663) and the issue disappears, I can connect both 2.4G or 5G WIFI network from my PC. I guess there is a compatibility issue with the Asus PCE-AC68 network adapter and the RT-AC68U router with Merlin firmware, the problem does not occur with the RT-AC66U router. It's really a pity, I was so happy with Merlin firmware but now i'm forced to use the original, anybody around as a PC with Windows 8.1 and this network adapter having the same issue using Merlin firmware? How to fix it?

Last edited:
I have the exact setup and everything works fine. Trying to think of what the issue could be.

had this issue with a friend of mine's setup.. i went to the asus website and downloaded a newer driver for the PCE-AC68 card. It sure as heck fixed that issue. BTW -- this was back in August sometime.

Download driver booster it is a free software program that will automatically find and install the most recent up to date drivers for whatever type of computer you are running.

I have the exact setup and everything works fine. Trying to think of what the issue could be.

Ok, then is something i'm missing, can you please tell me which release of the Windows driver are you using?

I got version 6.30.223.228 from Asus (dated 6-2-2014) for Windows 8.1 x64 with all updates done.

I search on web but I can't find a newer driver for de Asus adapter, if someone has a newer driver please post the link for download. Anyway the issue appears only with Merlin firmware, now i'm using the original and works fine on both frequency (2.4G/5G).
If it was a driver issue it should behave on the same way on both firmware, so why comes out only with Merlin firmware? :confused:

I'm using the same Asus utility/driver, but I'm on Windows 7 x64 and not 8.0/8.1.

ASUS PCE-AC68 utility 2.0.8.8
Driver version Number: 6.30.223.228

Not that familiar with Win8....but have you tried deleting your network profile for the connection and reconnecting from scratch. The network profile can contain some info on connection parameters which may be different between stock and Merlin fw.

Not that familiar with Win8....but have you tried deleting your network profile for the connection and reconnecting from scratch. The network profile can contain some info on connection parameters which may be different between stock and Merlin fw.

Yes, I was thinking the same, could be a parameter, I'll try to uninstall the driver again deleting the profile, but I wish to know which registry entries are involving the WIFI connection.
I noticed that if I use the Merlin firmware with default factory settings, means that the original SSID's are ASUS and ASUS_5G with no encryption (Open System) I can see them both from my PC, but a soon as I change SSID and encryption (WPA2-Personal) the 5G (ASUS_5G) signal disappear from the list, even waiting for some minutes with refreshing, the signal is not coming back.
So where is the fault, PC side or router side?

I try using the command promt as administrator:

netsh wlan delete profile name=[profile name] but nothig changed :mad:

Uninstall, reinstall again the driver, but the issue remains :mad:

Change network settings from the driver, nothing changed :mad:

I can see only the 2.4G with Merlin firmware with my PC, is somebody having deep knowledge with Windows 8.1??? which other command can i use or registry entry to check? Since now I appreciate all your suggestions but still is something missing :confused:

Definitely strange.....a couple of other questions for you on the router.

When you change the SSID, does the new name show up correctly in the gui after you hit apply?

If you mouse over the wireless status icon in the upper right corner, what does it say for the status?

What is displayed if you go to System Log/Wireless Log gui page?

Problem solved, it's the setting on the router going on the page Wireless then Professional, down there is the Regulation mode and set to 802.11d after that the 5G SSID reappeared. Originally was set to 802.11d+h.
Its strange that this setting was affecting only my PC and also my Nexus 7 with Android, the rest of my devices like Mac Book Air, iPad and Windows Phone where normally connected to the 5G. What is your default setting in your router? I want get knowledge of 802.11d and +h, for know i'm more happy :cool:

I just want to ask to Eric(Merlin firmware developer) if this setting can affect WiFi speed on 5G, which is the default setting for regulation mode and why Asus firmware has no issue about, are the WiFi built-in driver the same?

Problem solved, it's the setting on the router going on the page Wireless then Professional, down there is the Regulation mode and set to 802.11d after that the 5G SSID reappeared. Originally was set to 802.11d+h.
Its strange that this setting was affecting only my PC and also my Nexus 7 with Android, the rest of my devices like Mac Book Air, iPad and Windows Phone where normally connected to the 5G. What is your default setting in your router? I want get knowledge of 802.11d and +h, for know i'm more happy :cool:

On my AC68U (a TM-AC1900 running Merlin's 376.47) the Regulation Mode is set to "OFF (Default)". What happens if you set it to OFF ?
I have Win 8.1x64 with a PCE-AC68 adapter on wife's pc (which is upstairs at opposite end of house) and have no issues connecting on the 5Ghz.

Sam

On my AC68U (a TM-AC1900 running Merlin's 376.47) the Regulation Mode is set to "OFF (Default)". What happens if you set it to OFF ?
I have Win 8.1x64 with a PCE-AC68 adapter on wife's pc (which is upstairs at opposite end of house) and have no issues connecting on the 5Ghz.

Sam

I already try all setting, if I set it to "OFF" the 5G SSID disappears only 2.4G SSID remains on my PC and Android tablet, strange is that this happens only with this router and not with the RT-AC66U model which was also set to "OFF", maybe the frequency is not exact the same despite the 802.11 standard and around my house are other WIFI routers from my neighbors probably generating interference with this particular router but affecting only my PC and tablet, I don't know other reason then that.

If you do a google search on 'Windows 8.1 5GHz wireless disappears' you'll see that you are not alone. Apparently the Windows 8.1 update changed something and it's generally solved by new Windows drivers.

802.11d is required for proper regulatory support in some countries. Without it, you might not be using the channels supported in your region, for instance.

802.11h controls DFS support. It is required if you intend to use one of the DFS channels in some countries.

I suspect that both cases will also require that the client properly support them for it to work properly, but I don't know much about either of them.

If you do a google search on 'Windows 8.1 5GHz wireless disappears' you'll see that you are not alone. Apparently the Windows 8.1 update changed something and it's generally solved by new Windows drivers.

Yes seems a more common issue, anyway I have the latest driver and happens only with Merlin firmware so I guess there is a different Regulation mode behavior from the Asus firmware, thats why I wait Eric's answer about that.

802.11d is required for proper regulatory support in some countries. Without it, you might not be using the channels supported in your region, for instance.

802.11h controls DFS support. It is required if you intend to use one of the DFS channels in some countries.

I suspect that both cases will also require that the client properly support them for it to work properly, but I don't know much about either of them.

Thanks for answer and I appreciate your job, but since my ex RT-AC66U I never had to change the Regulation mode with your firmware, I guess Asus has the same default setting about so why it behaves differently?

Last edited:
Actually, I think the Asus OEM firmware defaults to at least 802.11d on....the stranger thing to me is why the AC66 and AC68 are behaving differently.

AC68 is a different SDK, different wireless driver, and also has DFS support (which the AC66 lacks).

Wifi-wise, they are quite different devices.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!