What's new

RT - AC88U disabled radio temperature

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Serra

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone, I have started the post here and the final reply here, but I think it is better to post another thread as my question is not directly related to version 380.63.

Short description about my problem:
By running the command '# wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense'

Under ASUS stock firmware version 3.0.0.4.380_3941-g27d8adf, it returns:
53 (0x35)

Under Merlin's firmware version 380.62_1 / 380.63 / 380.63_2, it returns:
wl: Unsupported

The GUI shows Temperatues: 2.4 GHz: disabled - 5 GHz: disabled - CPU: 63°C

As I'm not familiar with router commands, I don't know how to find out the root cause.
So I'd like to ask for the help. If any further information is required to provide, please let me know.
Thank you very much.

current.png

Hey, at least your CPU temp works. That is really all you need anyways. You might just got a chipset variant which ASUS knows about but Merlin does not include?

Maybe I shouldn't ask this several times, sorry about this. I don't mean to complain.
I just want to know the reason behind if possible.
I thought the chipset used on the same model would always be the same but it seems not to be the case. Thank you for pointing out.

Another thing is that the site survey is always empty. This makes me worry if these two issues are correlated or not. Is it related to the chipset variance as well?

nothing.png

Hello. I have the same disabled radio temperatures on my RT-AC88U. My site survey works fine though.

Did you ever solve the disabled radio temps?

Attachments

• IMG_0260.PNG
    IMG_0260.PNG
    264.4 KB · Views: 1,079
Last edited:
No.

The temperature problem is not that critical while I wish the site survey could work to let me explore the environment.

Is there any commands available for checking the site survey thing just like '# wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense' for temperature?

Having this same issue as well. Upgraded from stock Asus firmware [3.0.0.4_380_3941] to Merlin firmware [380.64].
rt-ac88u_temp_3.PNG

Similar message in Administration -> Performance Tuning
rt-ac88u_temp_2.PNG

it is A5 revision problem.
wireless chip is replaced by bcm4366E from bcm4366.
I found this in chinese forum.

Last edited:
it is A5 revision problem.
wireless chip is replaced by bcm4366E from bcm4366.
I found this in chinese forum.

So now the newer RT-AC88U will have working MU-MIMO, and all previous revisions won't. So anyone wanting a router with working MU-MIMO will have to start fishing for the right hardware revision. Ugh.

is there any way to fix this?

Probably need a newer GPL release from Asus and its associated drivers to fully support the new chip. You will have to wait.

97 degrees C for the CPU seems awfully high. Mine is at 54 degrees C.

97C is definitely too high. Anything over 90C would make me uncomfortable here.

How can I reduce CPU temp? CPU cores remain steady at 0%.

View attachment 8024

I use those USB powered cooling pads on all my routers, modem and roku player. Makes a huge difference on those hot days! But right now, it is a very cool 72 degrees Fahrenheit here. I plug them into a power strip that has USB plug ins and not the router itself.

AC88U:
upload_2016-12-19_11-14-48.png

And here are the temps of an AC88U at a site I support down the road from me that does not have a cooling pad. I need to go buy one soon.

upload_2016-12-19_15-23-23.png

Last edited:
Anyway solving this mystery is good enough for me :p
But it's bad to know that the hardware revision matters to the MU-MIMO feature.
I don't think many people would pay attention to that revision number....

Anyway solving this mystery is good enough for me :p
But it's bad to know that the hardware revision matters to the MU-MIMO feature.
I don't think many people would pay attention to that revision number....

I feel your pain. The third AC88U I purchased for a site I support as a volunteer had a problem with 5GHz WiFi out of the box. The LED indicator was not turned on. I did a reset and it came back on for awhile. But then dark after a FW upgrade. I did a check of the web gui and saw that 5GHz was enabled. The 5GHz channels gave me no options other than channel zero. I flashed the latest Merlin FW. It was missing some fields. Even though 5GHz radio button was on, the radio was not broadcasting. I did multiple factory resets, power cycles, flashed different versions of FW, manually reset nvram, etc. I saw others on the net reporting issues with the 5GHz as well. I tried all of those solutions with no luck. I thought maybe the temps were the issue. So I brought it home and set it on a cooling pad. No change. I ended up returning it to the store. Since it was outside the seven day exchange window, they shipped it back to ASUS for me and shipped back a replacement. No problems with the replacement.

Last edited:
Latest Merlin beta (380.65 beta 1) has restored the ability to see the temperatures.
Also had placed a cooling pad under the router and temps currently between 71% - 73%

In 380.65_2, my radio temps still show as disabled. I updated the firmware, did a factory reset, then did the minimal configuration. Still nothing.

In 380.65_2, my radio temps still show as disabled. I updated the firmware, did a factory reset, then did the minimal configuration. Still nothing.

See my answer in this post.

So now the newer RT-AC88U will have working MU-MIMO, and all previous revisions won't. So anyone wanting a router with working MU-MIMO will have to start fishing for the right hardware revision. Ugh.
I'm sorry. I am a little confused. If wireless radio temperatures are not working properly, then it means that you have one of the newer models with working MU-MIMO?