What's new

(RT-AC88U) Traditional QoS fully fixed (I believe)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Has anyone ever tried running AsusWRT using QEMU emulator (for test purposes)?

Not possible, too much code is dependent on the hardware platform.

@RMerlin: if this patch looks ok for you and you're willing to integrate it in your builds, I'll send you a pull-request via GitHub.

I'm definitely interested, will be a few weeks however before I can take a closer look at it to study it and start testing it out. Taking a breather for now after the 384.4 release, next on the agenda is getting a final 380.70 release out before I go back to 384.5.

@john9527 , you want to take a look at it and give me your thoughts? I haven't really touched the QoS code in nearly two years now, so it's all a bit fuzzy in my mind right now.

Also pinging @vanic in case he might be interested in taking a look.

As a heads up, I have merged the changes in 384.5 so we can get some testing done on them. They should be included in 384.5 alpha 2 builds.

@cdufour can you give me your Github info so I can give you proper author credits on the commit? Thanks.

Sorry if I'm confusing the issue, but does this perhaps have applications with Adaptive QoS too? I wouldn't know where to start however.
This fixes:
  • downloaded/ingress traffic no longer appears in the 1:40 ("low" priority) qdisc/class (throttled as per upload/egress bandwidth)

There seems to be some scenarios where download registers as upload (e.g. VPN client traffic).

Sorry fo opening an old thread.

I will be installing merlin's ASUS when I get back from a trip, so I assume I will get these fixes in there. I'm just curious is the fixes outlined in this thread were ever rolled into the asuswrt from asus?

Last edited:
Hurrah. Everything Traditional QoS now works: upload (WAN egress), download (WAN ingress) and transferred limits (I believe).
ingress qdisc is NOT used, given it can not make use of (CONN)MARKs. Instead, a standard (egress) qdisc on br0 does the job.
Below the files that ought to be created by by AsusWRT/qos.c magic, currently written by hand for review.
I would be would be nice if several pairs of eyes could verify everything makes sense.
(to be compared with original counterparts in comment #9)

/tmp/qos.tqfix:

[EIDTED]: removed the "flows 64" limit for fq_codel (keep the 1024 default); I thought each flow used a 10240-packet queue (as per limit parameter; that would have been a LOT of resources used), but looking at the (kernel) source code, it seems it is not the case

/tmp/mangle_rules.tqfix:
Hey, I still cannot get the Traditional QOS to limit my download speeds, it does a great job with the upload. (I'm currently running the latest stock Asus firmware on the rt-ac5300)

Not that I'm aware of.
Would u recommend using traditional Qos on Merlin for the best bufferbloat possible?
(I have the rt-ac5300 and for some reason I feel that the bullet registration delay in call of duty is more delayed than on the stock firmware, which is the only reason I reverted back to stock)

Would u recommend using traditional Qos on Merlin for the best bufferbloat possible?
(I have the rt-ac5300 and for some reason I feel that the bullet registration delay in call of duty is more delayed than on the stock firmware, which is the only reason I reverted back to stock)

For bufferfloat control, there shouldn't be any visible difference between Traditionnal and Adaptive QoS. I am getting an A+ result here using Adaptive QoS.

For bufferfloat control, there shouldn't be any visible difference between Traditionnal and Adaptive QoS. I am getting an A+ result here using Adaptive QoS.
With Adaptive Qos, my results aren't as consistent as traditional. Would you recommend Adaptive because Traditional doesn't prioritise gaming packets for eg. or is there another reason ?

With Adaptive Qos, my results aren't as consistent as traditional. Would you recommend Adaptive because Traditional doesn't prioritise gaming packets for eg. or is there another reason ?

Depends on your specific needs. Some people need to be able to manually finetune everything, so for them Traditional is the way to go. Others just want a fire-and-forget method, which is where Adaptive QoS comes in.

Depends on your specific needs. Some people need to be able to manually finetune everything, so for them Traditional is the way to go. Others just want a fire-and-forget method, which is where Adaptive QoS comes in.
Thanks for your timely responses, so would the best option be fq_codel, sfq or codel for PS4 gaming and why ? And under the present should i select PPPOE VDSL if I have fibre ? Much appreciated.

Thanks for your timely responses, so would the best option be fq_codel, sfq or codel for PS4 gaming and why ? And under the present should i select PPPOE VDSL if I have fibre ? Much appreciated.

fq_codel is the best of all three scheduler, as it's better at ensuring minimal queue latency.

Depends, is your Fibre service using PPPOE? If not, then leave the overhead to 0.

When in doubt, just leave that value to 0. It has very minimal effect on actual QoS efficiency.

fq_codel is the best of all three scheduler, as it's better at ensuring minimal queue latency.

Depends, is your Fibre service using PPPOE? If not, then leave the overhead to 0.

When in doubt, just leave that value to 0. It has very minimal effect on actual QoS efficiency.
What about for DSL Modems?
I have an Actiontec T3200. Which preset or overhead value should I use?

In the settings of the modem, it says ppp0e. Does that mean I would select ppp0E VDSL as the preset?
Is your connection VDSL or is it ADSL? And does it use pppoe to authenticate or ipoe