What's new

RT AX86U Pro IOT device unable to connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Summer10

New Around Here
Newbie here. I am setting up a new RT AX86U Pro and I'm having trouble with one IOT device, an irrigation controller. It seems to be able to connect to WiFi, but it doesn't connect to their server. They suggested one possiblity is the firewall is blocking one of the ports it needs to connect. Is there a way to see if these port numbers are blocked using the Web administration? Thanks!

Newbie here. I am setting up a new RT AX86U Pro and I'm having trouble with one IOT device, an irrigation controller. It seems to be able to connect to WiFi, but it doesn't connect to their server. They suggested one possiblity is the firewall is blocking one of the ports it needs to connect. Is there a way to see if these port numbers are blocked using the Web administration? Thanks!

Nothing outbound is blocked unless you have trend micro (aiprotection) enabled and it is detecting it as malicious, which you'd be able to see under the aiprotection stats.

If not, it may just not have a good signal, being connected and actually being able to pass data are not the same. What is the signal strength showing as?

What firmware are you on? I believe there have been some reports of issues with the guest WIFI on older firmware versions. I've not had issues with my IoT devices on either 2.4 or 5 GHz

Nothing outbound is blocked unless you have trend micro (aiprotection) enabled and it is detecting it as malicious, which you'd be able to see under the aiprotection stats.

If not, it may just not have a good signal, being connected and actually being able to pass data are not the same. What is the signal strength showing as?

I checked the signal strength and it's excellent. I haven't enabled aiprotection yet. Thanks for the suggestions.

I turned off smart connect and the controller is now able to connect to the server. I don't understand smart connect well enough to know why it would block the connection. I've read mixed things about smart connect. Should I leave well enough alone and leave it turned off?
Check Airtime Fairness settings for 2.4Ghz...

I turned off smart connect and the controller is now able to connect to the server. I don't understand smart connect well enough to know why it would block the connection. I've read mixed things about smart connect. Should I leave well enough alone and leave it turned off?

Smart connect tries to force 5ghz devices to always use 5ghz by hiding 2.4 from them. So for some reason it must think your irrigation controller is capable. It is also called "band steering"

Only other thing I can think is smart connect may also disable some legacy rates that device needs (no idea as my router is old and doesn't support smart connect).

No harm in leaving it off, most devices automatically prefer 5ghz. If you find you have devices that stick on 2.4 when you want them on 5 you could re-enable smart connect on main wifi and set up a 2.4ghz guest for that controller (and any other IOT stuff could go on it too if you wanted). Honestly not a bad idea to isolate that stuff regardless.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!