What's new

RT-BE96U - Tri-Band Smart Connect settings on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands not saving. Dual band not affected.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

th3raid0r

New Around Here
I saw that the GT-BE98 received an update that fixed this issue. Do we know if ASUS is aware of the issue on the RT-BE96U? I did the "submit feedback" option - but have no idea if that's the best way to communicate the issue.

(Yes, yes, - I've factory reset twice and tried multiple other ways to change the setting - I'm fairly sure this is an ASUS issue and not PEBKAC given that the GT-BE98 had the same issue )

UPDATE:

For brevity, here is all the steps folks have asked of me and if I've done them:

1. Refresh browser window
2. Clear Browser Cache
3. Factory Reset browser

I can confirm the issue is NOT the way I'm using my browser. I'd respectfully request that folks not ask me to do this in the future, since CTRL-F5 is something I do frequently.

Last edited:
I saw that the GT-BE98 received an update that fixed this issue. Do we know if ASUS is aware of the issue on the RT-BE96U? I did the "submit feedback" option - but have no idea if that's the best way to communicate the issue.

(Yes, yes, - I've factory reset twice and tried multiple other ways to change the setting - I'm fairly sure this is an ASUS issue and not PEBKAC given that the GT-BE98 had the same issue )
Have you tried refreshing your browser after doing the changes and applying them? The settings aren’t automatically refreshing on the BE96 and BE98’s.

@Richard1864 - Yes, of course, it would be really really really silly if I didn't because it's obvious that I would've needed too, I've even deleted my browser cache to be sure, and I've done the entire factory reset of my browser even. I can assure you, the settings aren't being set.

(PS. I typically factory reset EVERYTHING since that's the #1 recommendation on boards like these)

Sorry, I wasn’t sure if I saw that in your original post or not.

Is your router part of an AiMesh network? If so, did you try doing the reset with the other nodes turned off?

No, I do not have an AiMesh network. That seems pretty darn important and If I had used it, I would've disclosed as such.

Why would the other nodes have anything to do with a single nodes inability to accept a configuration change though? That would be incredibly bizarre. Good to know for when I do want to buy a second router, though, thanks!

Reminder, my problem has _nothing_ to do with the connectivity of the individual radios whatsoever. Heck, Tri-Band Smart Connect is halfway decent for most of my devices, but I needed to alter Smart Connect to bias towards 2.4Ghz a bit more for distant devices that seem to insist on 5G despite poor connectivity. Dual-Band smart connect is good enough for me now but I'd really like less SSID's to track (I use a guest IoT network and a dedicated VPN guest network in addition to my "standard" SSID's.

I guess I feel like I'm going a little insane because this is a documented firmware issue on WIFI 7 routers from ASUS (particularly the GT-BE98), and that apparently got fixed recently.

I'd like to stop troubleshooting now - it doesn't feel useful. I'll follow up on this thread when a new firmware version is released. I raised a ticket with ASUS support and everything, hopefully they're able to port the fix for the GT-BE98 to the RT-BE96U.

No, I do not have an AiMesh network. That seems pretty darn important and If I had used it, I would've disclosed as such.

Why would the other nodes have anything to do with a single nodes inability to accept a configuration change though? That would be incredibly bizarre. Good to know for when I do want to buy a second router, though, thanks!

Reminder, my problem has _nothing_ to do with the connectivity of the individual radios whatsoever. Heck, Tri-Band Smart Connect is halfway decent for most of my devices, but I needed to alter Smart Connect to bias towards 2.4Ghz a bit more for distant devices that seem to insist on 5G despite poor connectivity. Dual-Band smart connect is good enough for me now but I'd really like less SSID's to track (I use a guest IoT network and a dedicated VPN guest network in addition to my "standard" SSID's.

I guess I feel like I'm going a little insane because this is a documented firmware issue on WIFI 7 routers from ASUS (particularly the GT-BE98), and that apparently got fixed recently.

I'd like to stop troubleshooting now - it doesn't feel useful. I'll follow up on this thread when a new firmware version is released. I raised a ticket with ASUS support and everything, hopefully they're able to port the fix for the GT-BE98 to the RT-BE96U.
I raised the other node question because I’ve also got Eero mesh routers (not currently in use), and the nodes are known to cause interference with other nodes in the same network. It’s both a hardware and firmware bug quite well documented for several models including their newest Max 7 in the Eero forums and one which Eero refuses to fix. I was curious if a similar issue applied here.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!