What's new

Samba share everyone write access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marko Polo

I am affected by this error and cannot save image backups to the drive. The solution to this is to enable write access to everyone. What is the most beautiful way to do this for single share?
Is there such control in the GUI or should I modify smb.conf via postconf script in that way:
Code:
       create mask = 777
       directory mask = 777

Check your /etc/smb.conf file. Those permissions should already be set, although there might be differences between your firmware version and mine.

Code:
force directory mode = 0777
force create mode = 0777

You need to make sure that all users defined at "USB Application > Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk" have R/W permissions on that share.

You need to make sure that all users defined at "USB Application > Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk" have R/W permissions on that share.

They exactly have.

I have no masks in my /etc/smb.conf. This is what I have there against each share:

Code:
read list = user1
write list = user1

Should I/can I set here everybody or smth like this?

Sorry, but your samba setup appears to be completely different to mine. Perhaps it's because we're running different firmware versions or perhaps it's because you're using NTFS and I'm using ext4.

I'd suggest that rather than blindly making changes to smb.conf that you log onto the router and see what the current owner and permissions are for the directory in question. You can then identify the specific problem.

Sorry, but your samba setup appears to be completely different to mine. Perhaps it's because we're running different firmware versions or perhaps it's because you're using NTFS and I'm using ext4.

My filesystem on that drive also ext4 and I have latest stable Merlin version, 380.66

I'd suggest that rather than blindly making changes to smb.conf that you log onto the router and see what the current owner and permissions are for the directory in question. You can then identify the specific problem.

Partition permissions are
Code:
drwxrwxrwx    1 userX root          4096 Jul 12 10:12 SYSTEM

The permissions of the dir created by the windows are the same:

Code:
drwxrwxrwx    1 userX root             0 Jul 12 14:59 WindowsImageBackup

It is interesting indeed that I have the same symptom as other users with this problem. Backup of files runs successfully, only system image backup fails.

The directories that you've shown are writable by all users so it doesn't look like a permissions problem at the Linux filesystem level. But you need to check the permissions on the MediaID.bin file at that level also, as well as all the files/directories under WindowsImageBackup.

Assuming that they are all correct then it looks like your smb.conf is not being generated correctly. You didn't delete the hidden files (.__*_var.txt) in the root of the USB drive did you? smb.conf is partly generated from theses files.

Your read/write lists should contain your admin user plus all other users that need access, i.e.:
Code:
valid users = admin, Colin
read list = admin, Colin
write list = admin, Colin

I had the same settings as you. Surprisingly, I recreated the folder and last time backup was successful. Will observe the situation further.
Thanks for your assistance.