What's new

Seeking advice for network overhaul (more info in post)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ImZach

New Around Here
I am new to the forum and have limited experience with networking. I have gigabit speeds from Verizon FiOS. I currently use their router and am in need of serious improvement. I need to build a network.

We have many devices on our network with various uses, including home offices, watching streams, and live streaming games on Twitch all at the same time. We receive a poor WiFi connection in parts of our house, and never outside of our house.

Some quick background:
- ~4,500 sq ft (Finished Basement + 2 floors, some walls are stucco)
- 75x165ft property (looking to cover entire property)
- Cat5e run to almost every room
- ~70 devices on network, looking to add more (including security cams)

Maintaining high speed is important but the primary goal is to extend the range as our current range is terrible. I'd like my WiFi to cover my entire property while maintaining the best possible speeds, even when used by many devices at the same time. I've discovered the security features boasted by Ubiquiti systems but heard a lot about speed loss with Ubiquiti, which is why I really like the speed and range boasted by ASUS' AiMesh. I'd like to add more IoT devices but worried about security vulnerabilities- which is why I'm interested in Ubiquiti (using VLAN, guest network, and device isolation, etc.).

Last edited:
Multiple threads with similar questions. Look for @Trip recommendations. He should be doing copy/paste everywhere. You don't want Asus AiMesh. What you want is a firewall appliance with native VLAN support, managed switch with PoE and centrally managed PoE access points. Optional NAS for your files and media. You need networking knowledge to set it up or professional help. Do it once, do it right. Existing LAN cables is a big advantage.

Multiple threads with similar questions. Look for @Trip recommendations. He should be doing copy/paste everywhere. You don't want Asus AiMesh. What you want is a firewall appliance with native VLAN support, managed switch with PoE and centrally managed PoE access points. Optional NAS for your files and media. You need networking knowledge to set it up or professional help. Do it once, do it right. Existing LAN cables is a big advantage.
Hey, thanks a lot for the info. Very much appreciated, and I'll be looking into his posts for what he recommends to others. I'm guessing based on your reply that you'd recommend Ubiquiti or would you recommend something else? Thanks again

Hi @ImZach, welcome to SNB.

With Cat5e throughout the house and enough square footage and clients to warrant multiple wifi access points ("APs", probably three or more), I'd pass on consumer mesh because, among a myriad of other shortcomings, it limits all wifi nodes to the same channel in 2.4 and 5Ghz, even when backhaul is hard-wired -- that's like taking multiple APs and giving them the total airtime of just one. So you do get you more range, but you don't get more capacity, and you increase co-interference as you add nodes. Instead, as @Tech9 mentioned, I would put in purpose-built APs, a managed PoE switch and a wired router -- all SMB grade. You'll get cleaner, higher-capacity wifi, relevant pro features, such as VLANs for proper network segmentation (Private, Guest, IoT, etc.) and power over ethernet (PoE) for cleaner delivery of data+power over a single wire, and overall a network that will run more like an appliance and less like a toy.

Setup - Will require more work, but selecting components from a single vendor ecosystem will make it easier. I would look at Ubiquiti UniFi, TP-Link Omada or Cisco Business (RV router, CBS switch and CBW wifi). With this type of gear, it's important to note a difference with how wifi is designed to operate -- namely more APs at lower power each, versus the consumer paradigm of a single or few all-in-ones blasting high noise-to-signal to the far reaches of the house (often unusable at the edges). Also, these multi-AP systems do configuration/coordination via a wifi controller, or central software "brain". In many products (UniFi and Omada included), the controller is discrete, or run separately alongside the other network gear (via a physical or virtual software install, on an always-on PC, Raspberry Pi, server VM or Docker container, or as a vendor appliance, pre-installed and ready to go). I often recommend the appliance, as it's the easiest way for the average Joe to plug'n'play. In other products, the controller is embedded (ex: Cisco CBW), or integrated directly into the AP firmware, forgoing the need for the discrete install altogether (and offering multi-master fail-over, where if the "master" AP acting as the controller goes down, another AP is automatically promoted to take its place, and the wifi network continue to function as if nothing happened). I really like the embedded concept, because it's simpler and more reliable at the same time. Regardless, all three product lines will function well enough for home use.

Products - Omada is cheapest, and will just work, although it requires three separate components to setup, at minimum (router, wifi controller, wifi APs w/ PoE injectors). You could say four, if you used a PoE switch instead of injectors. Cisco will cost a bit more but will be set-and-forget with the fewest moving pieces, including the option for a combo router+PoE-switch. UniFi will be like Omada, just with more hardware diversity and a more polished controller with control over gateway, switching and wifi. That said, Ubiquiti has been less than stellar as of late (cloud data breach, poor continuity on multiple product series) and still can't seem to get the Dream Machine platform stable enough for general recommendation, at least not in my eyes.

Specific Gear - Here's an example stack of each:
Omada ($400-500): TL-R605 router, TL-SG2008P switch, OC200 controller and mix of 3+ EAPs (225v3 or 245v3 ceiling or EAP235 wall plate).
UniFi ($600-900): USG or USG Pro router, US-8-60W switch, CloudKey Gen2 controller and 3+ UAPs (AC-LITE or 6-LITE ceiling, AC In-Wall wall plate or FlexHD desktop)
Cisco ($800-1000): For max simplicity, RV345P router/switch and any mix of CBW APs (140AC or 240AC ceiling, CBW145AC wall plate), that's it.

Hope that helps. Any questions, feel free.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!