What's new

Sky Q - Connection dropping AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alex Kingsley

New Around Here
Hey

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

Yesterday I replaced my sky broadband hub with the a modem + RT-86U running Merlin firmware.
Everything seems great with the you’re, signal and speed far improved etc, however my Sky Q 2tb box and also Sky Q mini box are now constantly dropping connection to the router. I’ve tried everything I can think of, changing channels, splitting 2.4 and 5 networks off and trying each of them separately, creating a separate guest network and connecting only the sky q boxes to the guest, downgrading firmware, nothing seems to work directly with the ASUS.

About an hour ago I connected both sky boxes to a tp-link powerline access point, and since then both connections have been flawless (touch wood) so it looks to be an issue with the ASUS, but I just don’t know what.

Any ideas?!

Stick to powerline for them, I had all sorts of weirdness with my Sky Q boxes using Wi-fi. You are limited to 2.4Ghz as well using a 3rd party router with them so it’s all a bit **** from Sky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a similar setup, HG612 and AC68U, I had to run an ethernet cable to my sky mini box, 2TB box already wired and had no issues, mini box was wifi but it didn't connect to my Asus it connected to the main box's mesh type system, now I have all my sky boxes connected to a gigabit switch so they talk to one another without using the router except for internet access.
When i used to look for WiFi networks on the mini it would only show a sky one, which was my main box, I hope that makes sense....short answer is wire them.

Thanks for your advice all

So still getting the issue via tp link access point with different ssid.

Will try hardwiring both the main box and mini box tonight and see how that goes!

A working combo for me was hard wired main box with the mini doing Sky Mesh to main. However; the Sky boxes are brutal with their use of 80mhz bandwidth so my Asus was getting knocked back to 40mhz all the time. So I wired both and went to the hidden install menu on both Sky boxes and fully disabled 2.4 and 5 GHz.
For the average user I’m sure the Sky mesh system is great, but for power user with things other than Sky routers/AP’s in their home it bring more problems than its worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!