What's new

Solved: Making AC68U 5Ghz appear on computer without changing locale

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nemesis

New Around Here
So yesterday I posted this...

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=148712&postcount=7

Basically my ASUS AC68U was broadcasting 5Ghz fine as it was allowing connections from my Ipad, phones etc however my Surface Pro 2 would not see the 5Ghz SSID. Nor would another Windows 7 PC.

The issue was clearly with the locale setting on the ASUS restricting channels because my Linksys E3000 with Tomato firmware worked fine connecting everything via 5Ghz.

There were solutions on how to change the locale on the ASUS that involved telnet or running commands but my Merlin firmware doesn't have the run command option so (after a LOT of coffee) I approached it from the other way around.....

...Open the computer to receiving more channels (Don't know why I just didn't think of this before)

This was incredibly simple and involved 2 small registry changes.

I found this solution from a combination searches in other forums:
The issue is 802.11d is disabled by default. This helps the driver find out where it is and switch the channels on/off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11d-2001

IEEE 802.11d-2001 is an amendment to the IEEE 802.11 specification that adds support for "additional regulatory domains". This support includes the addition of a country information element to beacons, probe requests, and probe responses. The country information elements simplifies the creation of 802.11 wireless access points and client devices that meet the different regulations enforced in various parts of the world. The amendment has been incorporated into the published IEEE 802.11-2007 standard.

So on my Surface Pro 2 (solution also worked on the Windows 7 machine)
1. Go to Network Adaptor in the device manager. (Mines the Marvell AVASTAR 350N Wireless Network Adapter).
2. Properties – Details
3. In the drop down list of DETAILS find ‘Class Guid’ (was called ‘Device Class Guid on other machine)
4. Copy the value displayed (Mine was {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318})
5. From the pull down list again, select ‘Driver Key’ and make a note of the number. (This number varies from machine to machine so remember it - mine was 003)
6. Go to REGEDIT and scroll to HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001
7. Use search to find the Class Guid you copied earlier ({4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318})
8. Expand the folder structure to view the directories and locate the folder with the number you noted in Driver Key. (Mine was HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318\003 but the ‘003’ will vary
9. Find the string "EnableDot11d" in the right hand window and change the setting from 0 to 1

10. Repeat the search in REGEDIT and it will come up again under: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
11. Locate the “EnableDot11d” string in the numbered directory again and make sure the value is also 1
12. Close and reboot

Once my computers rebooted, they saw the ASUS 5Ghz SSID, connected and just worked perfectly.
Most of my network is wired with just these few portable devices using WIFI. I’m getting 3x the speed of the 2.4Ghz network on internal WIFI transfers.

I hope this helps someone because I’ve noted a lot of people complaining about the same issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!