What's new

Upgrade AX86U to AX88U Pro?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlueOrbit

Regular Contributor
I've been running Asus AX86U (Merlin FW) for a couple of years now. Mostly very happy with this router. I have a 1 Gig cable modem connection with a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, about 32 devices with many IoT devices on 2.4 GHz network, a couple of LAN connected PCs (the rest wireless), two 4K TVs and a couple of other TVs in the house of 2,500 sq ft. Some devices that are far away from the router and have a weaker connections (about 2 bars), but all seems to work well.

Not that I need to upgrade, but I like AX88U Pro and it would be an incremental upgrade. I realize that I likely won't notice much difference outside perhaps a better WiFi coverage for devices far away from the router.

What do you guys think - upgrade or not?

all seems to work well

New Asus router beta tester membership will cost you $300. Do it for what exactly reason in your case?

Some devices that are far away from the router and have a weaker connections (about 2 bars)

This is still a good connection. You don't need 4 bars corner to corner and your neighbors with 2 bars from your Wi-Fi.

I would not. The wifi coverage on the pro will not be any better then what you have now. Save your money and wait for wifi-7 coming soon. Just my 2 cents of course if you want to drop the cash feel free you won't notice much.

Wi-Fi 7, even shorter range, a new "need" for AiMesh - one beta tester membership won't be enough. More will be needed.

I see Mr. Hsu and Mr. Hu browsing Koenigsegg home page and wondering if 2x Gemera will mesh well together on the parking lot.

I just swapped 2 x AX86Us for 2 x AX88U PROs however in my case it was to match up my main router and nodes. I've always felt my AX86Us as nodes for my AX88U were troublesome and often wished I'd bought 3 AX88Us originally. I will probably swap the remaining AX88U for a PRO and eBay all of my old units.

I understand that some people will call me mad, but I have been plagued with WiFi configuration mismatches between the main router and nodes since I bought my previous setup and just want reliability. I tried moving to a mesh setup such as eero but just couldn't configure it properly (you can't even manually select WiFi channels).

So far they are running well, although I look forward to Merlin catching up with stock to get rid of the memory leak issue

I understand that some people will call me mad

No, your monetary contribution is greatly appreciated. Do that again with Wi-Fi 7 models, please. :)

I topped up the Asus R&D fund buying a 3rd RT-AX88U PRO now, but I won't be bothering with 6E as I have ethernet backhaul so there'll be no real gains for me. Maybe I'll get bored and upgrade to WiFi 7 but that will be a few years now.

In the meantime I have a nice RT-AX88U and 2 RT-AX86Us to put on eBay UK soon

I believe you have better options than home routers for close to £1000, but you perhaps know what do you want. Good luck with Asus R&D. :)

I believe you have better options than home routers for close to £1000, but you perhaps know what do you want. Good luck with Asus R&D. :)
Everything computer is R&D. Asus is better than many.
Still, I would have kept the AX86U's...

For £1000 one can do better than consumer product with perpetual beta firmware. In the Pro series case customers pay in advance for something not even available yet. The real beta testing will start somewhere in the future. In 2026 Pro features may start working well enough.

By the way, I just had to restart my RT-AX86U. It was left running for about a week with two clients only and found with stuck Web History and Traffic Analyzer again. Asus R&D said the Traffic Analyzer not recording data issue was fixed in last firmware. Perhaps there is another issue to fix.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!