What's new

Upgrading ASUS Router For Continued Updates

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WifiGhost

Regular Contributor
I have an AC87U and per the last changelog, 384.13_10 will probably be the last release due to limited upstream support so I figure I would upgrade to one that gets regular updates. What would be a good model to upgrade to? I have been eyeing the RT-AX3000. Recently found a refurbished one for a good price and only 2 are left. I would love to get the AX88U, list price is 312 so its a bit much right now and read about some issues with the 19 update. If it's worth it to stick with what I got and save so I can get the AX88U then I can wait, but if the refurb AX3000/58U for 140 is a good deal I can go that router. It does have a 90-day warranty so I can return it at any time for a full refund. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Amounts in USD per Amazon US

Last edited:
which currency are your amounts expressed in ? if you go to the german amazon website, the AX88U is there for 292 euros ...

Check amazon? Bestbuy?
OP prices are from Amazon which is where I found the refurb one for less with a 90 return policy. Best Buy lists AX88U for 350 so more than Amazon and matches the Amazon price for the AX3000/58U. A new AX3000 is 180 on either so the refurb would save 40$.

Which one is best for you? Only you know that :)
I would take the AX3000/58U myself.

At the end of the day it comes down to your budget. The AX88U is the gold standard right now and has benefits of being a 4x4 router, twice the ram, quad core, AES-IN support for fast VPN speeds and 8 Ethernet ports. If any of those are important to you, then its probably worth saving up and waiting.

Which one is best for you? Only you know that :)
I would take the AX3000/58U myself.
That's what I want as well due to price(sold some items on eBay and have just enough to buy it new or used so I won't have to dip into my budget) and also that it is a similar design to my current AP and I get great coverage throughout my house, I have many many IoT devices, but since I have gotten great ideas and feedback from the community I wanted to bounce it off of you all to make sure I will be good. I am fond of my current 87U and very happy with Asus Merlin so I wanted to be able to keep upgrading to make sure my router is secure and I get the new features when they arrive. Looking forward to WPA3 and with my current router being on limited support I will probably be missing out of many new awesome things if I don't upgrade my hardware.

I think I will order the refurb today and get it Merlin on it and into production ASAP as since I have 90 days to return it and get a full refund or replacement, better to find out the HW does have issues sooner than later. Since it will arrive this coming weekend that will be my weekend project. I have a good setup with VLANS(IoT & Guest Net) and other features I got when upgrading to Merlin.

How about telling when your weekend job is done? ;)
Might be useful information in this forum :)