What's new

Using a different DHCP server that the Asus RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matt Taylor

New Around Here
First post, howdy all,
I bought my Asus RtTabout a year ago and installed the Merlin firmware on it from the get-go. Always has been solid. I have firmware 380.68_2 currently and I want to use a dchp server other than the one on the LAN config page on the ASUS. When I disable the DHCP server on the router, I cannot get to the DHCP server on my LAN. The lan port of the asus is 192.168.1.21 and the dhcp and dns server is 192.168.1.31, I can ping them all fine from my test working station. My wan segment is on a different submet with a static router. but the dhcp server is on my internal lan. 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0 so its a /24

any suggestions? I can post more info here if needed.

thanks!

Hmm. It should work. I've had the same sort of setup working in the past with a Windows Server 2012 providing DHCP and DNS with no problem.

What is providing your DHCP/DNS. You say you can ping it, what about RDP, Telnet, SSH, etc.?

I am using Windows 2k8R2. I can Telnet, and RDP into it. It has internet access to using a manual configuration of the same setting I have set upon the ASUS dhcp. It is not a physical server but a VM on a 5.5 Esxi host.

I also should add that the dns is working properly as it is the dns in the dhcp setting on the router. I have removed all other dns from the lan (ASUS router) and the modem and have configured it to forward unknown requests to google dns and nord von dns servers