What's new

WAN problem or VPN Server/Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PatInaNutshell

New Around Here
RT-AX88U running firmware 386.5_2

I am running both a VPN server and 2 VPN clients. I also have a script running to ping every 10 seconds to track whenever my network goes down - it will usually restart the WAN or reboot the router altogether, depending on network conditions.

I've noticed that since updating from 386.5 to 386.5_2, the VPN server and/or client appear to go down frequently. It's not entirely clear to me what is happening, but I managed to catch the following in the logs after clearing everything out following a reboot. Are the network messages below expected? Is there anything more I can do to debug the problem? Every time I check with my ISP, they claim the problem is on my end.

Apr 14 17:10:10 ovpn-server1[2592]: event_wait : Interrupted system call (code=4)
Apr 14 17:10:10 ovpn-server1[2592]: PLUGIN AUTH-PAM: Error signaling background process to exit: Connection refused (errno=111)
Apr 14 17:10:10 ovpn-client3[2820]: event_wait : Interrupted system call (code=4)
Apr 14 17:10:13 ovpn-client1[4558]: write UDP []: Network is unreachable (code=101)
Apr 14 17:10:13 ovpn-client1[4558]: write UDP []: Network is unreachable (code=101)

As additional info, here's the check that eventually fails:

Code:
if ! ping -w 10 -c 10 www.google.com > /dev/null; then
  service restart_wan

Last edited:
Based on the little information available, it appears your VPNs (server and clients) are victims of the failed WAN. Then again, when using both OpenVPN server and client at the same time (esp. w/ multiple, concurrent OpenVPN clients), there's always the risk they are creating their own conflicts since each creates its own tunnel w/ an IP network.

What happens if you just don't use the OpenVPN server and client at all? Does the WAN still fail w/ the same frequency?

I would have provided additional logs had there been any. Haven't tried turning off VPN completely in a while as my primary use case for the router involves keeping the VPN on, but I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!