What's new

Weird wireless issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drake1980

New Around Here
Seeking an advice here. I have Asus RT-AC56U router that was running Merlin's 380.58 build. Starting about last week I started getting very low wireless speeds on 5GHz (I have too many neighbors on 2.4 so I dont bother using that). I thought it was due to both my wife and myself got new iPhones (had Androids before) - maybe Apple did not play well with Asus. So, I moved our iPhones to get connected to 2.4 side, but yet 5GHz continued having terrible speeds (choppy and 1/3 of the speed I was getting on the same band before). I then tried newest 380.59 build - same thing: wired speeds excellent; wireless (both 2.4 and 5) are very choppy and 1/3 of the wired ones. I then tried Shibbys' Tomato (couple versions) - same issue.

So, I wonder - did my antenna/board/hardware went bad? Anything else I can try? It all started "out of the blue" as I was running same F/W version (and no changes to settings) for quite some time without any issue until last week when it all went bad on "its own"...

Any input would be highly appreciated... Thanks.
p.s. I have no interference with any neighbor on 5 Ghz band...

Ok. After all these installing of different mods/firmwares/resets etc etc I finally got it working with Merlin's 380.59. Still don't know what the original issue was. Will keep it monitoring for now.

p.s. I am in Canada and 36-48 are legal here

Ok. After all these installing of different mods/firmwares/resets etc etc I finally got it working with Merlin's 380.59. Still don't know what the original issue was. Will keep it monitoring for now.

p.s. I am in Canada and 36-48 are legal here

If it happens again, just reboot the router without any changes.