1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Wireguard support to Voxel FW?

Discussion in 'NETGEAR AC Wireless' started by Tume, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Tume

Tume Occasional Visitor

Hey!

Is it possible to add Wireguard support to Voxel FW?

- Tume

2. kamoj

kamoj Senior Member

3. Tume

Tume Occasional Visitor

That was good answer. Can you tell little bit more details, why it's impossible or not coming at all?

4. Voxel

Voxel Very Senior Member

Wireguard requires the changes in Linux kernel. And kernel version should be >= 3.10. My build is using the kernel 3.4.103 from NG GPL sources to provide workable QCA drivers (hardware acceleration etc). So I cannot upgrade the version of kernel.

3.4.103 < 3.10

Voxel.

Tume likes this.
  5. Tume

Tume Occasional Visitor

Okay, that makes sense!

6. KW.

KW. New Around Here

Hello,
    I want to begin to thank you Voxel for a fantastic firmware. I use it on my R9000 and am so happy I found it. I see people as you that help others with no demands as an inspiration!
    I just wonder would it be a big task to integrate Wireguard with Voxel? It would be a huge boost if that is possible as it will make a big difference in internet speed. Wireguard will be widley adopted in the near future.

anhrzg and Voxel like this.
  7. Voxel

Voxel Very Senior Member

It is practically impossible for R7500/R7800. Because of lacking kernel features. I am not sure re: R9000. On the first view its kernel version is 3.10.20 but it is specific version and I I do not see needed features of this kernel too (in the kernel config menu). The same re: Orbi.

So as I said: main problem is kernel. I cannot change the kernel version because I do use drivers from QCA (hardware acceleration) and they are in GPL sources of the stock firmware in binary pre-built forms. So If I change the kernel significantly I these drivers will not work (brick).

I do research this still. FYI: I use WG for my own needs (PC with Debian). So I know all advantages of WG vs e.g. OpenVPN. Much faster.

Voxel.

anhrzg and KW. like this.
  8. KW.

KW. New Around Here

Thank you for your reply and I am very happy to hear that you are looking in to Wireguard. I wish you all luck in your research.

I am impressed that you made a better firmware then a large company does. Allready with your firmware my openvpn connection went from around 80 Mbit/s to around 120-130 Mbit/s when i use DNS-crypt and your setup for Openvpn.

Kingp1n, Voxel and kamoj like this.
  9. Voxel

Voxel Very Senior Member

Seems it is working. I mean WireGuard on R9000. I have prepared beta version with WG kernel object and "wg" binary. So I was able to connect my R9000 as a client to my remote PC with WG server (different place, it is not LAN) manually using ip, iptables, wg commands. Just manual running proper commands from console.

But what the next? I mean what you guys expect from WG? Connection to WireGuard provider as a client or server or just leave it all as "make-yourself kit"?

P.S.

Forgot to say: speed is very good if running e.g. iperf3 with multi threading. Almost the same as w/o WireGuard.

Voxel.

anhrzg and kamoj like this.
  10. anhrzg

anhrzg New Around Here

"make-yourself kit" is good enough.
    Thanks for your work.

kamoj likes this.